10237 - Tower of Orthanc

6 minutes ago, chubz said:

just got a "open box" 10237 from amazon today everything is there bags are not open...paid $215.95 with tax and free shipping

man wish the box was not open and some what damaged..still thinking about a return or just keeping it i know its gonna hurt the value 

any thought?? its sold out but keeps popping up here and there 

i only have 1 set of 10237 

I ordered one from Amazon as well and got the same thing. Busted seals, but I was able to verify all bags and the manuals with stickers were present. 

Called Amazon as I couldn't return the item since they were out of stock at the time. YMMV but I had the option of a return with a discount from Amazon to make up the difference of a FBA 3rd party set (Basically an exchange with discount to cover the price difference), or a straight 30% discount. I took the discount to $150.45 after tax. 

The set still has value in the contents being sealed and the discount more than made up for the loss in resale value of being opened to me. 

just got a "open box" 10237 from amazon today everything is there bags are not open...paid $215.95 with tax and free shipping

man wish the box was not open and some what damaged..still thinking about a return or just keeping it i know its gonna hurt the value 

any thought?? its sold out but keeps popping up here and there 

i only have 1 set of 10237 

Tough one. I think there is little doubt this one is done or very close to done. There is no reason to continue to produce the set or continue with the LOTR theme. You might be able to get Amazon to refund a percentage for the damaged box. Since it's open just build it. It's a fun build and even used sets have been doing very well lately. Check out listings for used HH, R2, TH.

7 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Just be sorta careful as Amazon does keep track of this practice and some folks who abused this have had their accounts closed.

not saying this is you but just giving a heads up :)

read comments like this every once in a while. this makes it a bit meh sometimes purchasing from Amazon as their packaging just gets worse and worse... sets hardly arrived pristine any more.

38 minutes ago, cissi said:

read comments like this every once in a while. this makes it a bit meh sometimes purchasing from Amazon as their packaging just gets worse and worse... sets hardly arrived pristine any more.

I know. And I find it ridiculous that Amazon's solution is to just ban people who complain about their awful packaging instead of, you know, just packaging better.

On 4-11-2015 22:39:03, TabbyBoy said:

I only have 3 ToO (all with promotional poster) and will stop there. For some reason the guy I met with thousands of large sets has left ToO, VW Camper and TB well alone. Maybe he knows something I don't?

He is right on camper. Wrong on ToO. Probably right on TB, even though rumor says it's going this year.

45 minutes ago, cissi said:

i hear ya.  when amazon ships me sets that have slight damaged boxes (not often for the last 2 years 0- maybe i'm lucky but do have my own my 10221 SSD nightmares from 2012 & 2013), i now just keep them.

as ed mack, me and others pointed out, box condition matters less over time except for a few 'special' sets (e.g. 10178, 10196). what matters more are the tape seals and then the sealed bags inside the box if the box is opened.  when 10228 haunted houses and 10221 SSDs were selling out everywhere, many folks like me didn't care about box condition much at that point :)

on the flip side, if someone buys a new set I fully understand being upset if it arrived opened, smashed or bags missing.  then a call to amazon customer support is warranted for a discount. 

Seriously, EOL is not when you purchase hoping to get the best conditions.  Gotta jump in that a little early when you can usually walk into a store and inspect the boxes.  Usually the last of the stock is going to be the beat up boxes.

Regardless, I've bought numerous things from amazon, and haven't had a bad experience.  Walmart remains the only place i've had a bad experience.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

I know. And I find it ridiculous that Amazon's solution is to just ban people who complain about their awful packaging instead of, you know, just packaging better.

Well, from their perspective, they'd rather sell that same set 2 minutes later to someone that doesn't care about package condition than to continue to eat shipping fees 3 ways on one item from the same picky condition re-seller.

Now if you do this once in a while, you're probably not who they're looking to ban. 

if you do this 10 times a month they probably dont want you as a customer, and even if its' their 'fault' i get why they'd rather sell to someone that doesnt care.

Not saying it's fair, just that its completely logical.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, emonster said:

Just my 2 cents... When amazon is shipping damaged boxes, then it's a sign of no stock left. Basically they are passing all the returns.

was thinking the same thing...this 10237 to me looks like a returned open box...

I'm just gonna keep it i don't need a discount as I'm keeping it for long term plus i can't find anymore sets right know 

19 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Just be sorta careful as Amazon does keep track of this practice and some folks who abused this have had their accounts closed.

not saying this is you but just giving a heads up :)

I realized my mistake after I received the item. I wanted to get 1 ToO into my collection and jumped when I saw it reappear. I wasn't the largest LOTR fan, but I've learned that I need to grab at least 1 of every set I MAY want well before retirement to avoid my ToO debacle.

6 hours ago, MillerTime said:

Coming from an inventory manager for a "big online retailer" that sells this set, some of the comments on this page are so ignorant and incorrect. I will simply shake my head and move on.

Aren't you cool

Guest TabbyBoy

A friend used to work for Argos and I was told that returns were often sent straight back to the warehouse for a "second chance" with minimal checking before being sent to a "job-lot" buyer if returned a 2nd time. Judging by the condition of the StarWars figures that I clicked and didn't collect yesterday, I'm not surprised if this is the case. However, I defend Amazon (direct not resellers) as I've always received items in great condition.

16 hours ago, MillerTime said:

Coming from an inventory manager for a "big online retailer" that sells this set, some of the comments on this page are so ignorant and incorrect. I will simply shake my head and move on.

The point of this post was...? Holy unhelpful, Batman! 

16 hours ago, Loghamel said:

Please elaborate.

I second this motion. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MillerTime said:

your just to darn cool for this website brother..simply shake your heads and never log in again

• Like 1