10237 - Tower of Orthanc

8 minutes ago, Jules_K said:

Sales of this set have been non-existent in Australia, no sales at all Australia-wide over the last 3 months on Ebay. It could be partly due to it being available significantly cheaper in the US, but still it's not off to a very good start here.

It surely does not look as good as I thought it would look.

But... give it some time before making the final judgement. Maybe in two years from now we will talk differently. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's the deal with the price differences of this set in US/EU? In the US it's pretty much available for MSRP off ebay while in the EU you already have to pay well above that. I'd gladly order one from the US but then the shipping and customs combined would pretty much kill the value.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2016 at 7:16 AM, froncz said:

What's the deal with the price differences of this set in US/EU? In the US it's pretty much available for MSRP off ebay while in the EU you already have to pay well above that. I'd gladly order one from the US but then the shipping and customs combined would pretty much kill the value.

Exactly that. Ordered from the EU into the US you only pay shipping (well, in practice). The other way around there is a large customs-hump. It doesn't mean the demand is less in Europe. If anything, I would think quite the opposite. But then I wouldn't even really attempt to estimate demand just from this. It has been available in the US for quite a while longer, hasn't it?

On 1/17/2016 at 8:16 AM, froncz said:

The availability from Amazon.com even after it moved to Sold Out clouds the picture a little. Folks were getting this at MSRP not too long ago. North American prices will slowly move towards EU.

23 minutes ago, froncz said:

Yeah, Amazon is overpriced as usual but even on ebay there is nothing. Show me where in Europe I can get this close to MSRP and I'll gladly grab it :) 

Overpriced lol. If you're a reseller, it's not fair to call that overpiced. It's just "the price" of a retired set (plus amazon fees).

I'm going to get one of these for a personal build at the current ~$260 range since I missed this before its EOL. I want to pick up another one for the same price to hold onto long term since I believe in this set doubling even at that price. Anyone think getting into this set $60 over MSRP is a very bad idea? Worst comes to worst, I can MOC it to make a larger tower which I wouldn't mind.

15 minutes ago, lostontheverglow said:

I'm going to get one of these for a personal build at the current ~$260 range since I missed this before its EOL. I want to pick up another one for the same price to hold onto long term since I believe in this set doubling even at that price. Anyone think getting into this set $60 over MSRP is a very bad idea? Worst comes to worst, I can MOC it to make a larger tower which I wouldn't mind.

id buy a tumbler from walmart tbh

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lostontheverglow said:

If it's for a personal build, for sure. Only 60 bucks above MSRP? It'll resell higher than that used in a year or two.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lostontheverglow said:

For personal build, buy now since price will only go up.  For investment, you could take that $260 and get Ewoks Village at retail on Amazon and benefit from its full appreciation post retirement instead of missing some of ToO's appreciation already.  Just a suggestion, fwiw.

• Like 4

Will you still want it when it's $500...?

• Like 1