10237 - Tower of Orthanc

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Wazzapova said:

Hi guys. I'm seeing that this set is hardly going over the MSRP of $199.99 2639.png️. Any thoughts on if this set is a dud in the after market? I have three of them. Should I be more patient?

UK says no, moving on eBay at £275-£300.  US too early.  

You do have the slight disadvantage in that it went in the EU before the US, allowing people to continue to stock up.  I believe it was still available at retail until November, so you’re not even at a year yet

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, KShine said:

This set serves as a great example of the currently sad state of LEGO investing.

Not at all, just a little patience is required. I've sold 3 of mine this year, cleared £100 each and I'm keeping the rest long term. However, I do agree that the game has changed.

Just now, TabbyBoy said:

Not at all, just a little patience is required. I've sold 3 of mine this year, cleared £100 each and I'm keeping the rest long term. However, I do agree that the game has changed.

This set is an absolute no brainer, and yet many are looking to get out with little to any gain (after going EOL) - This is sad, and very telling.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KShine said:

This set is an absolute no brainer, and yet many are looking to get out with little to any gain (after going EOL) - This is sad, and very telling.

Not to bring us around to the normal threads where all topics go to die, but it's just a market correction.  People who got in thinking there was quick, easy money to be made are now getting scared that their golden bricks might not be as golden as they were told.  Let them clear out for little or no gain (many of them will be dumping exclusives this Christmas), while those with patience just have to wait a little longer.  It seems like recent exclusives and other hoarded sets might just take a little more time to ripen than was expected.

Don't be sad.  Be glad they aren't true competitors who are in it for the long haul.  That would be far more damning.

• Like 3

There is a simple strategy to go forward into the future which won't disappoint you. Just buy one or two of every set you like. Don't invest your money in more than two equal sets. 

In case the set will go up in price you will make some profit, if not, you will be happy to have one or two for your collection. All other strategies do not make a big sense in my eyes - no one set since two years has been a good investion so far, even the very limited LEGO DFB minifigs 71014 is currently decreasing in price... 

Why? The answer is easy, we don't earn 5 times more money as 10 years ago, but the amount of available sets is 5 times more than 10 years ago, so the buyer has to decide if he will spend his money for a great new set or an doscontinued one for a double price...

Edited by mauro23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mauro23 said:

There is a simple strategy to go forward into the future which won't disappoint you. Just buy one or two of every set you like. Don't invest your money in more than two equal sets. 

In case the set will go up in price you will make some profit, if not, you will be happy to have one or two for your collection. All other strategies do not make a big sense in my eyes - no one set since two years has been a good investion so far, even the very limited LEGO DFB minifigs 71014 is currently decreasing in price... 

Why? The answer is easy, we don't earn 5 times more money as 10 years ago, but the amount of available sets is 5 times more than 10 years ago, so the buyer has to decide if he will spend his money for a great new set or an doscontinued one for a double price...

With this strategy, some members have to seriously consider another career direction.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

At least Daleks can hit their targets most of the time. 

Wait... what thread was this? 

To be fair, they were told not to shoot the escape pod because there was no life sign in it...  

... which did not make sense in a world full of droids.  Darn it, I tried to apply logic in SW universe again :P

• Like 3

Just now, Darth_Raichu said:

To be fair, they were told not to shoot the escape pod because there was no life sign in it...  

... which did not make sense in a world full of droids.  Darn it, I tried to apply logic in SW universe again :P

I was going with how many times Ezra charges directly at stormtroopers (ala Han Solo) without a scratch. Not to mention the Battle of Endor, etc., etc. 

• Like 1