10237 - Tower of Orthanc

Tower of Orthanc has a licensed attached to it.  The LOTR license is not the same as the Hobbit license.  When the license expires, the set expires.  It does not look like more LOTR sets are going to be made at this point.  If they produce more sets then that may indicate the life of the license, squeezing most amount of money out of it.  If they do not make more LOTR sets then we can expect the license to go away along with this set.  Get em while you can.

Perfect! 

10237 seems to have no long life

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking around for this 10237 and noticed the best price out there for this is around 200 bucks. Anyone know if these will go down or will these start disappearing soon? I'm new to the investing side of things but I also like this piece for display. Looks amazing. I'm looking to get a couple of these is now the right time?

Thanks for the reply and heads up. I didn't know about Amazon Warehouse. I'll be visiting that regularly.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. There are people on this site with alarms set and they will purchase them as soon as they showup like the guy above you because it's how they make their money..  Check4change is the program everyone uses.

Been looking around for this 10237 and noticed the best price out there for this is around 200 bucks. Anyone know if these will go down or will these start disappearing soon? I'm new to the investing side of things but I also like this piece for display. Looks amazing. I'm looking to get a couple of these is now the right time?

Lego has a policy that exclusives are not to be discounted. You won't see a discount on things like the Tower of Orthanc, Simpsons House, R2D2, UCS etc. Not even at Walmart/Target/Toys R Us when they're allowed to carry them. 

Lego has a policy that exclusives are not to be discounted. You won't see a discount on things like the Tower of Orthanc, Simpsons House, R2D2, UCS etc. Not even at Walmart/Target/Toys R Us when they're allowed to carry them. 

There is one extra factor in this. The policy is set to expire Jan 1st, 2015. Nobody knows at the moment if it is going to be renewed, or if there is some auto-renew, or TLC will let it lapse. You may want to stash some money reserves for sudden floodgates of discounts on exclusives come Jan 2nd...

There is one extra factor in this. The policy is set to expire Jan 1st, 2015. Nobody knows at the moment if it is going to be renewed, or if there is some auto-renew, or TLC will let it lapse. You may want to stash some money reserves for sudden floodgates of discounts on exclusives come Jan 2nd...

Source?

There was some information on the Lego website I think. Quote below. 

*** and **** reserve the right to unilaterally change or withdraw this Policy at any time and without notice.  Absent such change or withdrawal, this Policy shall be in force until January 1, 2015.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning on purchasing this set from Toys R Us using two of the $85 for $100 gift cards. So I'll be getting it at $170+tax, which is a good deal.

But I'm looking for the best deal.

Has anyone been able to use coupons/special offers or anything of that sort on this at Toys R Us?

• 4 weeks later...

Don't wait for discounts on this set(maybe double VIP in Oct).  The last LOTR/Hobbit movie is December.  You can pretty much well kiss this theme goodbye after the first of the new year.  

How is that logical, if Hobbit sets are released in October, they wont go EOL 99,999999999999999% on 1st january.....

No way they would release sets if they'd vanish on New Year.....

How is that logical, if Hobbit sets are released in October, they wont go EOL 99,999999999999999% on 1st january.....

No way they would release sets if they'd vanish on New Year.....

Read what I wrote.  I said AFTER January 1, 2015.  That could mean any of the 365 days that follow.  Don't take things so literal.  This theme is history soon after the new movie leaves theaters, especially the Tower of Orthanc.  You can see a lack of sets and interest from LEGO.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...