10237 - Tower of Orthanc

I kinda hoped it would have been higher, maybe around 2800 at this price, since the modulars all have a 2200'ish piece count for $150 with the same number of minifigs. The town hall is abou 2800 pieces and is in this same price point. Anywho, I am not too worried about the price per piece thing, its a very poor way of valuing a set.

One interesting thought, this set is really just a playset, not really a model per se at all, a model would be much more accurate, they seem to have compromised accuracy for play-ability in this case. I'm not saying this is exactly a bad thing, it will probably drive sales very nicely, but for those who were hoping for a "UCS" LOTR line, this doesn't exactly fit the bill since UCS is really a theme designed for display, not play (except 10188).

Great point, we may be looking at the LOTR Death Star... EOL = Never!

Very nice set, the tower is everything I had hoped for. I'm curious of the minifig selection, I'm glad they threw Wormtongue in there, but did we need another set with Saruman/Gandalf? Even though they are iconic to the tower, we already have these guys in a cheap set. I like that they threw an Ent in there, I still think we'll get a Treebeard set with Pippen/Merry at some point.

OMG! Take my money now! Finally some new on this baby and a release date that isn't too far off. Didn't expect to see so much internal detail and playability elements, but I guess that will help sell it. I can see true AFOl collectors buying two or more to MoC a larger tower without the internal stuff so it's a truly 360 degree tower.

OMG! Take my money now!

Finally some new on this baby and a release date that isn't too far off.

Didn't expect to see so much internal detail and playability elements, but I guess that will help sell it. I can see true AFOl collectors buying two or more to MoC a larger tower without the internal stuff so it's a truly 360 degree tower.

I was also very impressed with the interior. It crushes anything else like Hogwarts that Lego has ever done!

Brickset forums is lighting up with a bunch of members committing to buying LOTR: The Orc Forge sets now. I went ahead over to Target.com and ordered a couple more. I'm not missing the boat on this one, like I did with Monster Fighters: The Zombies. I only purchased one of those.

Brickset forums is lighting up with a bunch of members committing to buying LOTR: The Orc Forge sets now. I went ahead over to Target.com and ordered a couple more. I'm not missing the boat on this one, like I did with Monster Fighters: The Zombies. I only purchased one of those.

Will probably get a couple myself, just to cover my bases.

Orc Forges are still languishing all over the shelves at my local Lego store. I'ts going to be interesting to see what happens with their stock of them now that the Tower has been announced. I'll be heading over there for the May the Fourth event, so we will see if they've pushed any of them out the door by then.

Now this is a great set, now there should not be 10 different threads and Postings on What do you think about this set be a great investment set. Well Holy Crap YES! I think it will do so good when retired which should be 2014 or 2015, I will be buying one every other month or so, so if I can get 20 when the run ends I will be happy. I see This set rising Fast after the first year retired, and I see this set being $300-$400 easily. I think of me buying The Orthanc, Tower Bridge, Haunted House, VC, and Helm's Deep as buy gold bars. So if you get a chance and if you see a sale grap as many as you can, you won't be sorry. Now if you live pay check by pay check week after week, then thats not good. Ed

Guess I am just weird.... but this Tower looks kinda lame... I was hoping for 3500 pieces with little interior tower(palantir room + 1 empty room + basement with barrels, rats bones) that opens like Haunted house... with only Saruman, Grima and 2 orcs.... Guess I just need to find someone who would sell me Saruman(with dress) + Grima for reasonable money! Gandalf on that Eagle looks worse than EVER... like putting a guy on LEGO train and going for a ride... sigh