10237 - Tower of Orthanc

Guess I am just weird.... but this Tower looks kinda lame...

I was hoping for 3500 pieces with little interior tower(palantir room + 1 empty room + basement with barrels, rats bones) that opens like Haunted house... with only Saruman, Grima and 2 orcs....

Guess I just need to find someone who would sell me Saruman(with dress) + Grima for reasonable money!

Gandalf on that Eagle looks worse than EVER... like putting a guy on LEGO train and going for a ride... sigh

I would say this is far from lame, but everyone can have their opinion. I was surprised that they made it a playset, I was thinking like you that it would be an enclosed set, but I think they did a great job, and you can't argue with the price for the pieces, even if they are 98% black. As for the minifigures, reasonable money is relative. Those figures, especially Grima, will be pretty expensive. At least you can get a Saruman in a cheap set.

The eagles have been discussed ad nauseum. Yes, they are pretty lame, and too small, and can't grab stuff. I don't like them very much either. You'll just have to get microfigures from the Helm's Deep game to ride the eagles to get the correct scale :)

I understand if this falls under the "I don't buy what I don't like" category, but this set is going to be a winner. Now we just need our Minas Tirith. You would have to think that if this sells well, they will feel more comfortable making a REALLY big set.

I feel that they could do more justice to a $400 Minas Morgul than a $400 Minas Tirith, which they would need to be at least that big.

I would say this is far from lame, but everyone can have their opinion. I was surprised that they made it a playset, I was thinking like you that it would be an enclosed set, but I think they did a great job, and you can't argue with the price for the pieces, even if they are 98% black. As for the minifigures, reasonable money is relative. Those figures, especially Grima, will be pretty expensive. At least you can get a Saruman in a cheap set.

The eagles have been discussed ad nauseum. Yes, they are pretty lame, and too small, and can't grab stuff. I don't like them very much either. You'll just have to get microfigures from the Helm's Deep game to ride the eagles to get the correct scale :)

A tower that is half open (while giving nice play value) lacks in display value... its like having Half of SSD or Death Star....

would look ridiculous...

Ofcourse its great we atleast got what we did, but that does not change fact it turns out pretty lame on display scale....

And its not even like buying 2x Black Gate to fix it.... because you'll have to severely MOC it to remove stairs and top...

Maybe I am biased because I do not play with my LEGOs but have them displayed... and Helm's Deep is something that looks great and has ok play value

I think it will display perfectly. Unless your planning on trying to use it as a centerpiece in the middle of a room. Up against a wall the play side would not be exposed. But who knows until it actually comes out and we can make that call for ourselfs.

I agree, I think it looks pretty good and since I will display it with a wall directly behind it the open half should not be a problem.

I agree, I think it looks pretty good and since I will display it with a wall directly behind it the open half should not be a problem.

Yeah, I'm now thinking this as well. I had initially thought about buying two and making it taller and fully enclosed, but for where I'm most likely to display it the exposed side will be hidden anyway.

I just re-watched the LOTR trilogy over the past few days and I gotta say they got me even more fired up for this set. I want like 3 more Orc Forges now that I can set up around the Tower, more pieces so that I can make my own Ents in addition to Treebeard, more Orc minifigures to increase the Army, and enough tree pieces to construct some kind of forest to the side.

I just re-watched the LOTR trilogy over the past few days and I gotta say they got me even more fired up for this set. I want like 3 more Orc Forges now that I can set up around the Tower, more pieces so that I can make my own Ents in addition to Treebeard, more Orc minifigures to increase the Army, and enough tree pieces to construct some kind of forest to the side.

Hurry up on those forges! :)

• 3 weeks later...