Mini Modulars seems to be...

You can get all the colours and parts easily?

The pieces are more or less common pieces. If you have a few thousand little plates, I think it shouldn't be hard to assemble. That's the one downfall of this set that I see in terms of investment. It is just WAY too easy to make a set, since you don't have rare pieces in it.

• Like 1

The pieces are more or less common pieces. If you have a few thousand little plates, I think it shouldn't be hard to assemble. That's the one downfall of this set that I see in terms of investment. It is just WAY too easy to make a set, since you don't have rare pieces in it.

Since all the pieces are common, that would devalue the used sets, but the value of the NIB sets would remain intact.

Since all the pieces are common, that would devalue the used sets, but the value of the NIB sets would remain intact.

The values are related. If the used value of a set is low, the sealed price will only be so much higher. If people can easily put a set together on their own, there are fewer interested in sealed sets, which means the values are lower.

Here's one thing to consider - time.

I've given up digging through my bulk set, and I'm bricklinking the rest. I've spent probably 20 hours going through and sorting pieces.  Way more time than if I had just bought the pieces.

It's still going to cost around $60-70 to bricklink or use my own pieces, and that's fine.  If my bulk were organized, it wouldn't be a problem. 

Here's one thing to consider - time.

I've given up digging through my bulk set, and I'm bricklinking the rest. I've spent probably 20 hours going through and sorting pieces.  Way more time than if I had just bought the pieces.

It's still going to cost around $60-70 to bricklink or use my own pieces, and that's fine.  If my bulk were organized, it wouldn't be a problem.

The trouble with using unsorted bulk lots to build a set like that is you have no idea if a given piece is even there. For large sets it's even worse. I just finished up my latest lot and started pulling out some pieces for a small MOC I'm working on, while I was at it I found enough pieces to build the Sears Tower (minus the name plate of course) now I don't have to open the one I just bought. That set only has about 70 pieces, most of which are black, so it didn't take very long. I don't even want think about how long it would take to find all of the pieces and verify the colors for a set as large as a Mini Modular. Even if you knew it was in the lot and had the instructions in hand it would be difficult.

The trouble with using unsorted bulk lots to build a set like that is you have no idea if a given piece is even there. For large sets it's even worse. I just finished up my latest lot and started pulling out some pieces for a small MOC I'm working on, while I was at it I found enough pieces to build the Sears Tower (minus the name plate of course) now I don't have to open the one I just bought. That set only has about 70 pieces, most of which are black, so it didn't take very long. I don't even want think about how long it would take to find all of the pieces and verify the colors for a set as large as a Mini Modular. Even if you knew it was in the lot and had the instructions in hand it would be difficult.

It can be quite lucrative though, if you have the time. I recently sold a 10178 AT AT Walker that was in a bulk lot. It probably took me 2-3 hours to sort the pieces, then another 4-5 hours to build the model. I sold the walker for more than the entire 8.5kg lot, so the rest was profit. :)

It can be quite lucrative though, if you have the time. I recently sold a 10178 AT AT Walker that was in a bulk lot. It probably took me 2-3 hours to sort the pieces, then another 4-5 hours to build the model. I sold the walker for more than the entire 8.5kg lot, so the rest was profit. :)

Trust me, I'm not knocking sorting bulk lots. They're what I spend nearly all my Lego time on.

It depends on whether you have knowledge if a set is there, too.  Sounds like you knew the 10178 was in that bulk lot?  For the Mini Modular, I was just pulling out random pieces, and giving it a try.  I knew the set wasn't in there.  And, it's 1350 pieces.  So, lots of random pieces to have to sort through and find.

It depends on whether you have knowledge if a set is there, too.  Sounds like you knew the 10178 was in that bulk lot?  For the Mini Modular, I was just pulling out random pieces, and giving it a try.  I knew the set wasn't in there.  And, it's 1350 pieces.  So, lots of random pieces to have to sort through and find.

Yes I spotted it from the 4x4 & 6x6 round dishes that are on the legs. Closer looks at the picture showed quite a few other pieces. And it turned out to be 99% complete :)

And as a bonus, these other sets were in there - (some could also be seen, like 10176)

345 Small Play Bucket For Girls 1993

2229 Basic Building Set 3+ 1999

1613 Basic Building Set 3+ 1987

10176 King's Castle 2006

7657 AT-ST 2007

7256 SPARES Jedi Starfighter and Vulture Droid 2005

8142 Ferrari 248 F1 1:24 2007

8142 Ferrari 248 F1 1:24 2007

8673 Ferrari F1 Fuel Stop 2006

7670 SPARES Hailfire Droid & Spider Droid 2008

6205 SPARES V-wing Fighter 2006

7655 Clone Troopers Battle Pack 2007

7654 Droids Battle Pack 2007

7668 Rebel Scout Speeder 2008

7667 Imperial Dropship 2008

8271 Wheel Loader 2007

7701 Grand Titan 2006

8893 Lava Chamber Gate 2006

Most were 70-100% complete.

I normally look for vintage lots like this but this was most lego than than 10 years old. I have never seen a bulk lots containing sets like the modulars, yet.

• Like 1

Someone on the board posted a lot that they had picked up (or considered picking up?  Can't remember...) I believe in Baltimore recently, where you could see a FB completed in the bulk set.

That's quite the haul!  Spotting stuff in the bulk set is what gets you success.

The two bulk sets I have in the garage were just random buys.  It was mostly for my kids, so they'd have some bricks to just build stuff with.  I'm trying to stay away from bulk buys, unless I can spot good sets like you did.