9472 - Attack on Weathertop

The set hasn't appreciated like the Wolverine or the Hulk because you can still find it in stores, Many TRU's still have them at 55. That tells people its still available, that keeps the panic buying down. 

As soon as its GONE GONE, it will fly up like the rest.

Also, you can make a cool ass John Snow figure between the wraith's body and frodo's head. Mix in an Attack of the Wargs and you have his White Wolf too.

I see someone from this thread has already figured that out :)

Guest TabbyBoy

Is there an easy way to tell if your TRU has this set in stock? It's not listed on the website anymore.

Use a telephone.  It's an antiquated communications device that is rarely used in the modern era unfortunately which is part why the World is in such a mess. ;-)

• 2 months later...

yeah, I still see it available at my local Walmart, Sears.ca and TRU.  Just ugly...wish they would just sell it for $30 (CAN) clearance like Target last year and get rid of it all. 

Yeah it's all over the place >< TRU canada has it for 5$ above MSRP to add insult to injury :( Mine also has a boatload of Shelob's at $26.99 though.

Walmart really needs to put this at a more aggressive clearance already, it's been $65 for ages.

I actually had some luck PMing Shelob for $12 at TRU from shop@home's price a few weeks back, but i only grabbed a couple as to not push my luck, and to save some shelf space for other sets.

If you paid retail for these you are in a tough spot but if you got them on sale you could sell them now for close to $70 and easily turn a $10-15 profit. I personally plan on waiting longer, keep in mind this set retired about 1 year ago and can still be found in some store shelves, give it another year and this set will be hard to find and prices will go higher, probably not much more than $100 but thats still a decent profit.

I have little patience...would flip all of mine (except one) for $40 each and use the funds for other sets if I could.  Not much demand while (still) available so kinda looks like not much demand when this set is finally out of stock at all retailers.  The msrp seems high but I would of thought people would want the minifigs/horses.  For now this set looks like a dud for LOTR...maybe it'll pick up by xmas. 

To make myself feel better, I might bust open a box tonight and build with me son haha.         

So, looking at this set from Feb 2013 BP price to January 19th 2014 the set had a gross rate of return increase of 39.48% based on the US data.  During that time period it also happened to Retire.  If retirement is where the money is then over the next 12-24 months we should see a steady climb up at a minimum of the last years pace.  Based upon the BP ROR had you put $1 miilion dollars into this set in feb 2013 at that price you would be sitting on a gross value of $1,394,800.00.  I would say darn good!  not many equities will get you that without tremendous risk.  In fact the whole of the S&P 500 last year (which was an incredibly anomaly) almost did 30%.

Even when this set was released fans were underwhelmed for a number of reasons. First of all the price was considered too high of the set and the structure didn't do justice to weathertop. Considering the wave included Helms deep, Mines of Moria ( several exclusive figs) and Orc forge I ink this one is just further down on people's shopping list and will only be bought by completionists (like me). Because you can eBay a ring wraith and Merry for a lot less than buying the set.........

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I didn't really like this set. It just did nothing for me.

I only bought a few just before they went officially EOL and only then because it was on a large discount and I thought, 'well, I've got all the other sets from the series, so should probably complete the theme'.

It will go up, but if it only just goes past retail, that will be ok with me as the discounted purchasing still gives profit.

So, looking at this set from Feb 2013 BP price to January 19th 2014 the set had a gross rate of return increase of 39.48% based on the US data.  During that time period it also happened to Retire.  If retirement is where the money is then over the next 12-24 months we should see a steady climb up at a minimum of the last years pace.  Based upon the BP ROR had you put $1 miilion dollars into this set in feb 2013 at that price you would be sitting on a gross value of $1,394,800.00.  I would say darn good!  not many equities will get you that without tremendous risk.  In fact the whole of the S&P 500 last year (which was an incredibly anomaly) almost did 30%

I guess you didn't add in the labor cost, time, sales fees, shipping fees .. ect .. But BUY FOR $100 sell for $110 .. bam zip zap $10 profit all day long over and over soo ezzz

• Like 2

wow !!!!

I absolutely didn't know that this set was "openable". It isn't obvious...

Anyway in the movie if I'm not mistaking it's only a big rock, there's no cave under.

Plus, Merry is... well... not my favorite character...

Overall this set seems ok for RRP but, well, no more, that's certainly the reason why people put their money on other sets.

Maybe it will rise within 2 years if lego let off the LOTR license, so people will have to chose this one (and would be gladly surprised)...

I've got a soft spot for this set bc I liked the level in the Lego LOTR game :)

I've got several copies of this set that I snagged from a sale on TysToyBox.com last year before they foolishly excluded Lego from all subsequent sales (prob bc BPers cleaned them out at that one sale). Think I'm just going to hang onto them for now. Maybe break one open to build...