9472 - Attack on Weathertop

I just bought this set yesterday on clearance at target for 41.98. I was thrilled. They had 2 sets, but one was ripped open...I passed on that one. I also got 5 shelob-attacks (9470) for 13.98 each. This was in Annapolis, MD. There were 5 more Shelob's left on the shelf.

nice find! My Dover target stinks!

Strange how that one is retired yet even The Orc Forge and others are still available.

I just bought this set yesterday on clearance at target for 41.98. I was thrilled.

Now that's funny. I just literally saw the same thing yesterday! Well actually it was Friday but still only recently I saw Attack on Weathertop red tagged and was actually on clearance at Target. For me, Target has been more consistent with their clearance items where Wal-Mart doesn't really seem to bother most of the time or at all.

Coincidently in relation to both qoutes, my Target got some more of The Orc Forge in stock. Could be last batch though.....maybe.

Anyway, I bought another for my collection. What the heck.

Just so all of us are on the same page, the Lord of the Rings "Attack on Weathertop" (9472) has been officially discontinued. You can go to the Lego Shop-at-Home site and it says "retired product" and can not add any to your cart. Surprisingly enough, the rest of of them are still available. I wonder if this set wasn't that big of a seller.

I also wanted to get that out of the way to make sure no one decides to start up yet another thread wondering whether or not Weathertop will go EOL.

It should be interesting where the price on this thing goes. It seems as though in my area there are plenty on the shelves yet. It's always a curious thing about how many people put off getting this set in hopes of deeper discounts and then it just dries up. I'm hoping to see these at deep deep discounts in local retailers.

Time to grab any you see. Hang onto the receipts, you have 90 days to bring them back and haggle with customer service over a price adjustment if they get reduced in price and red tagged off the shelves later. If they're going to flop in the secondary market you'll likewise see evidence of that by mid-July which should be ample time to bring the sets back.

Targets in my area haven't clearanced these yet but I did pick up a Shelob's Lair for $13. All of my targets are really low on stock of all the Lord of the Rings theme. The store I went to last night had one Helms Deep, 3 Orc Forge and 3 Uruk-hai Army. No Weathertop, no Gandalf, no Shelobs. Here's why: http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=lego+lord+of+the+rings&category=0|All|matchallpartial|all+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_lego+lord+of+the+rings Apparently Gandalf Arrives and Shelob's Lair are no longer going to be sold in stores at Target and that's why they were also clearanced. I did pick up 5 total Weathertops at Walmart for retail price.

Time to grab any you see. Hang onto the receipts, you have 90 days to bring them back and haggle with customer service over a price adjustment if they get reduced in price and red tagged off the shelves later. If they're going to flop in the secondary market you'll likewise see evidence of that by mid-July which should be ample time to bring the sets back.

Good advice. I was hesitating to pull the trigger on a 2nd Weathertop hoping for a price reduction, but I'm just going to buy today regardless of if it's on clearance. The fact that it's been officially listed as retired means that it's going to dry up quickly in my Lego-hungry demographic.

I'm really surprised that the news that this as discontinued isn't reflected in the "sold" listings on ebay. Still selling for under retail.

Probably because it's still widely available at retail and the EOL status hasn't filtered out to the Lego community yet. Give it a week or two though and watch to see if the set jumps in value. I'm betting these sets disappear from store shelves and concurrently eBay prices begin to skyrocket. If not then we probably have an investment stinker on our hands.

I'm really surprised that the news that this as discontinued isn't reflected in the "sold" listings on ebay. Still selling for under retail.

That's probably because the set is still available in the stores. My two local Lego stores have plenty of these on the shelves just sitting. It will be awhile before we see this set sell for over retail on ebay.

Probably because it's still widely available at retail and the EOL status hasn't filtered out to the Lego community yet. Give it a week or two though and watch to see if the set jumps in value. I'm betting these sets disappear from store shelves and concurrently eBay prices begin to skyrocket. If not then we probably have an investment stinker on our hands.

Yeah. Even though many people aren't huge fans of this set I think it's going to do excellently now that it's EOL. At least in my area it wasn't kept in stock like the other LOTR sets.

Does anyone think it will have a hint of the "Zombies" effect since it was EOL before the rest of the theme's first run sets?