Hole in the Box

Pseudoty

I ordered 4 FB for $142.50 each with Red Card Discount last week. They arrived in a huge box that was in perfect shape shipped VIA UPS packed with air pillows. One of the FB boxes has a hole on the side panel that lists the parts. The hole is almost 2 inches in diameter and I do not see how this occured during shipping. So I called Target and they said they would gladly send me another FB but as I expected they have no more in stock. They then contaced the vendor while I was on hold, not sure if that is Lego or a distributor, but said they have no date when they will be available. They offered me a $25 gift card or return to store for full refund. If I was buying this in the future as a collector I would not want the damaged box any ideas on what to do?

Keep the box.  You will be kicking yourself in 1-2 years when it will not matter if you take a 5-10% haircut on a set that has doubled it's retail price.  As long as you're confident all the contents are still in the box, you should be fine. 

You can also open it and confirm all the bags and instructions are present and sell it as a "verified contents" set for the same 5-10% discount.

• Like 1

I live with the most picky, fussy, fanatical LEGO collector ever born (hi, honey!) and he couldn't care less about box condition. He's buying to build.

There are a few LEGO collectors out there who also like to collect the boxes and/or a few who actually collect with the intention of never opening the boxes (I like to call them the "You're sort of missing the POINT!" people  :shocked:  ) but they are vastly outnumbered by the tide of collectors like my husband who just want the contents.

I'll suggest a third option: take the $25 gift card from Target and I'll take the FB off your hands for the full retail price. :P

I live with the most picky, fussy, fanatical LEGO collector ever born (hi, honey!) and he couldn't care less about box condition. He's buying to build.

There are a few LEGO collectors out there who also like to collect the boxes and/or a few who actually collect with the intention of never opening the boxes (I like to call them the "You're sort of missing the POINT!" people  :shocked:  ) but they are vastly outnumbered by the tide of collectors like my husband who just want the contents.

Exactly.  Collectors are collectors the world around.  I know a few people who for them box condition is tantamount, but they are easily overwhelmed by the vast majority of builder-collectors.  Plus what a lot of the die-hards are collecting is in a completely different realm.  If you are already collecting it is easy enough to keep up on the recent sets...

Have any of you seen a large MISB collection?  You have to admit it is impressive, even if you only have money in your eyes.

To the collector point, I am in the process of purchasing a used Lego 10133 BNSF locomotive for my personal collection, and couldn't care less what the box condition is.  Most (not all) collectors out there are like me - they want to build and display the set. 

I think what would really bug a Lego collector/builder is knowing that someone else built the set before them. Putting together a secondhand set somehow just isn't the same as being the first one to snap those new bricks together.

I'm sure it does bug some, but again, provided everything's in great condition (and he doesn't hesitate to send me scurrying off to Bricklink if he gets a part that's not  :rofl:  ) my crazy building husband doesn't mind used sets - especially when the price point difference on some of the retired stuff can be hundreds (I'm looking at you, retired modulars) between new and used.

The thing that bugs him most regularly is that most people aren't as careful as he is in applying stickers (dual-wielded exacto knives, a metal straight edge, a jewelers magnifying light, and the hands of a surgeon are how HE does it, or, as he calls it, "right"), so I'm forever buying new sticker sets for his used purchases.

• Like 1

I'm more along the lines of collector/builder. I like to try to get a box in the best shape I can, but I don't mind a damaged box. I would gladly save some money for a slightly damaged box any day of the week. The built set still looks the same regardless. And honestly, as the years go by, even having the box will bring in more money.

The point I was trying to make was two fold.  First there is no point in potentially leaving money on the table, so keep an open mind and look for the small details.  It is exactly these sort of things that makes you stand out as a seller.  Secondly I think if a seller feels that box condition doesn't matter they will put less effort into packaging, which can potentially lead to an unhappy buyer.

For me the main reasons to buy a sealed set is that I know I am much more likely to receive a complete set, and if it is an older set than I also know the parts will be of the correct vintage and molding variations.  Once again this is something that only a small minority of buyers look for since the builder mentality will only be looking at functionality.

I'm trying to decide if I should listen to your advice or to your username...

You win the thread.

The title of this post took my sick mind to some new american pie movie coming out

Lol I was thinking a new Samuel L Jackson Horror  Movie

"Why are there so many Mother #$%^#$ holes in this Mother #$%^#$ box?!?!?"

• Like 1

Most collectors don't mind a hole in their box.  A great article was written by Fcbarcelona101 called "The Impact of Box Condition" that you might find helpful.

A damaged box is one thing but a big gaping hole staring up at you is another. Out of this situation considering the set, I would keep it, take the giftcard, and when the time comes to sell list the Fire Brigade as "New in box" or forgo the box and just say "New with sealed bags" or something.