What "retiring soon" lego set are you focusing on?

Just got back from 5 hours worth of driving!!! Well worth the trip though because both Lego stores in Phoenix had tons of WV in stock and neither could care less how many I bought. I picked up 5 at one store and 5 at another. I might've been able to get all of them at one but didnt wanna press my luck. Even with what I took away there was still plenty left at both stores...

really? 5 hours for that? is it worth it?

Just got back from 5 hours worth of driving!!! Well worth the trip though because both Lego stores in Phoenix had tons of WV in stock and neither could care less how many I bought. I picked up 5 at one store and 5 at another. I might've been able to get all of them at one but didnt wanna press my luck. Even with what I took away there was still plenty left at both stores...

Stay away from my stores!

Wait till after X'mas, lots of good sets can be had. Patience my friend.

This is just a guess but I noticed something different about this Christmas vs last Christmas:

Lots of shelves at Walmart, Target, etc. are pretty bare.  At one location I checked out yesterday, the entire LEGO isle was cleaned out.

I am not sure if the stores are using a smarter demand-analytics or if the LEGO investing-craze is taking over, but either way, I am expecting any LEGO clearances to be slim-picking this year.

• Like 1

This is just a guess but I noticed something different about this Christmas vs last Christmas:

Lots of shelves at Walmart, Target, etc. are pretty bare.  At one location I checked out yesterday, the entire LEGO isle was cleaned out.

I am not sure if the stores are using a smarter demand-analytics or if the LEGO investing-craze is taking over, but either way, I am expecting any LEGO clearances to be slim-picking this year.

I'm thinking the same thing.  That will be better on my wallet anyway after the TRU feeding frenzy.

Lots of shelves at Walmart, Target, etc. are pretty bare. At one location I checked out yesterday, the entire LEGO isle was cleaned out.

Agreed. This caught me a bit off guard but I got what I wanted. Can't believe I was able to nab 8 FB at retail from TRU Canada. A lot of the good stuff is gone. Looks like the so-called after Xmas clearance won't be happening, and if it does, it will most likely be leftover rubbish.

I drove around my local area last night trying to price match the gunship. The Lego aisle at Target, Wal-Mart, and TRU were all hit by a tornado and there was literally 5 sets tops at Target and Wal-Mart and all TRU had was a sparse colleciton of Technic and City. Was this the case the past few years during Christmas as well?

I drove around my local area last night trying to price match the gunship. The Lego aisle at Target, Wal-Mart, and TRU were all hit by a tornado and there was literally 5 sets tops at Target and Wal-Mart and all TRU had was a sparse colleciton of Technic and City. Was this the case the past few years during Christmas as well?

Well my stores are not depleted to the level you speak of, but last year at this time they still had a decent amount of sets on the shelves. I would say this year is much more bare than usual.

I recall having my eye on several large sets waiting for them to hit clearance prices before Christmas last year.  I remember people reporting they found the Republic Frigate marked down to clearance for $50 at some Wal-Marts in early to mid Dec. 2012, but not mine.  The Republic Frigate was the first thing I scanned on Dec. 26th and it was $49.50.  I also grabbed every Black Pearl I could find on Dec. 26th.  I really had no idea what I was doing last Fall and I skipped over many Maersk Trains, Fire Temples, Diagon Alley, Hogwart's Castles, etc., ecause I was only buying what I liked at the time.  I did like the Maersk Train, but I had no idea it was on it's way out at the time. 

You blink and it's too late.

I have some rural Wal-Mart stores I'll be hitting and I'm sure they'll have a little more product left.

I recall having my eye on several large sets waiting for them to hit clearance prices before Christmas last year.  I remember people reporting they found the Republic Frigate marked down to clearance for $50 at some Wal-Marts in early to mid Dec. 2012, but not mine.  The Republic Frigate was the first thing I scanned on Dec. 26th and it was $49.50.  I also grabbed every Black Pearl I could find on Dec. 26th.  I really had no idea what I was doing last Fall and I skipped over many Maersk Trains, Fire Temples, Diagon Alley, Hogwart's Castles, etc., ecause I was only buying what I liked at the time.  I did like the Maersk Train, but I had no idea it was on it's way out at the time. 

You blink and it's too late.

I have some rural Wal-Mart stores I'll be hitting and I'm sure they'll have a little more product left.

As somewhat of a newb. Are the clearances on the 26th pretty prevalent and worth while?

Are you kidding me? You can't even flip one Chi Temple? Hand it over to me at 79.99 like Cyber monday, I'll show you how it's done. I'm out of inventory now.

Yes, Amazon.COM. You saw the 48.99 deal eh? :) I had it shipped to the PO Box at the border. Picked it up and drove right back and I was ready to rock.

I saw the Chi Temple dropped to 74.99 and I was pissed because I bought 10 at 79.99.......oh well.

I work in an office of over 1200 employees. I just post up ads in each corner of the building and in the cafeteria.

You're pretty lucky as Target, LEGO, and Amazon also in my case blacklisted my PO box and I can't benefit from US price/ discounts anymore...

so I am expecting for CAN Boxing day ....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

oh ok thanks good to know

That has been what Lego has done in the past. Make a set for about 2 years and then stop making it, but recently, certain sets have been produced far longer than anyone expected like the Fire Brigade and the Death Star. For all we know, Lego could produce this set for 2 more years.

Helm's Deep was my first "big" set I noticed that was cool and had potential, but seems like those are super hard to find.

Stocking up on R2D2 is a gamble, but I have room to spare.

Seems like the safe bets are the VC, especially with the TRU BOGO deal and Robie House, since it has sky rocketed in price on the secondary market!