6868 - Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout

TheDarkness

Kicking myself for party in about 10 the sets earlier in the year. A few months ago the Hulk was going for $25 which covered my cost of the set and I thought that was good.

Welcome to the world of Marvel. Things only go up, not down. I have yet to see any marvel comics or statues depreciate in value like lego sets.

I am not posting this to gloat, I am posting it to inspire hope for everybody who wants more Hulk sets... Today I went into a Target in a relatively busy area, and there they were with rays of sunlight beaming down on them...5 Hulk's Helicarrier Breakouts.  It was the exact thing I hoped to find when I stopped in.  I had opened and parted out all my Hulk sets just a week or two before they officially retired, so I was a little salty about not having any.

The point of all this is... they are still out there to be found.  Even if a place seems unlikely, check it anyway.  That's what I did today, and it paid off.  Happy hunting!

• Like 2

I agree. WIth the new Hulk coming out. I have sold the 2 that I had for $80 w.buyer paying shipping. I don't mind having a purple pant hulk. Some might differ on the brown vs. the purple. But Hulk is still green to me :)

I'm a little puzzle why people think purple pants or brown pants will depreciate the value of the first Lego hulk.  First edition is always worth more, he can wear pink pants or an onesy for all I care.

• Like 1

I am not posting this to gloat, I am posting it to inspire hope for everybody who wants more Hulk sets... Today I went into a Target in a relatively busy area, and there they were with rays of sunlight beaming down on them...5 Hulk's Helicarrier Breakouts.  It was the exact thing I hoped to find when I stopped in.  I had opened and parted out all my Hulk sets just a week or two before they officially retired, so I was a little salty about not having any.

The point of all this is... they are still out there to be found.  Even if a place seems unlikely, check it anyway.  That's what I did today, and it paid off.  Happy hunting!

I did exactly the same. They are still found out there. Not found overseas though. So if you're looking to sell overseas, you're ready to rock.

I'm a little puzzle why people think purple pants or brown pants will depreciate the value of the first Lego hulk.  First edition is always worth more, he can wear pink pants or an onesy for all I care.

I think that's pretty clear. It's not even a question of whether people prefer the purple to the brown (although they might).

If there were 100,000 brown pants hulks in existence, and the demand for any hulk lego maxi-figure is x, now we have another y-thousands of hulk figures in existence, and if the demand doesn't go up at least as much as the new supply, then the overall demand for a hulk lego figure has been diminished.

The odds of everyone who wanted a brown ALSO wanting a purple is not guaranteed. Me for example, i'd really like a hulk, don't care which pants. Many more will want both, no doubt, but not EVERYONE will want both.

I see some Hulk brown pants figures being listed sealed in the original plastic bag. Those are perfect candidates to send for AFA. Could easily get $100 after a nice 9.5 grading.

You mention AFA grading often and getting 9.5 and 10.0 grades. Isn't that a hard thing to get? If not, there's not much purpose in the grade. If a 9.5 grade truly brings more value, then there must be many folks getting less than 9.5, or the prices wouldn't justify it.

Just saying, i don't want people to be misled that your figures are all 9.5 and 10.0 just because they're new from the box. I've done grading before, and its just not the case. Perhaps Lego with their outstanding quality control might make more high grade figures, but companies like hasbro, kenner, and the like never did.

You're right about the sealed bag being a good canidate though, that might qualify for the U- Uncirculated grade addition. 

You mention AFA grading often and getting 9.5 and 10.0 grades. Isn't that a hard thing to get? If not, there's not much purpose in the grade. If a 9.5 grade truly brings more value, then there must be many folks getting less than 9.5, or the prices wouldn't justify it.

Just saying, i don't want people to be misled that your figures are all 9.5 and 10.0 just because they're new from the box. I've done grading before, and its just not the case. Perhaps Lego with their outstanding quality control might make more high grade figures, but companies like hasbro, kenner, and the like never did.

You're right about the sealed bag being a good canidate though, that might qualify for the U- Uncirculated grade addition. 

Until someone takes theirs for grading, we may never know its true worth. I can guarantee you that if the hulk is taken for grading, especially this first edition, look for it to be worth in the neighborhood of $150-$200, just the figure alone. Then there are the crazy bidders who might drive it up to $300.

A hulk mini-figure, AFA graded to 9.25 went on Ebay for $53. It was a cheap mini-figure version. Imagine what Mr. Brown pants is worth when graded. 

Lego Zombie minifigure graded at 9.0 worth over $100 and still bidding.

I'm pretty sure Marvel fans would want to get this sucker graded and put it up on the open market. There's no telling what the Hulk figure is worth especially when it's the 1st edition. Potentially a rocket ride on your hands for those who intend to get this baby graded. $250 is guaranteed in the bag by 2015. In 5 yrs, you're looking at a 4 figure return on a graded hulk. Just my speculation, but being in the Marvel investing world for 2 decades, I'm pretty sure Mr. brown pants can make lego newbies and veterans roll their eyes.

A hulk mini-figure, AFA graded to 9.25 went on Ebay for $53. It was a cheap mini-figure version. Imagine what Mr. Brown pants is worth when graded.

I'm pretty sure Marvel fans would want to get this sucker graded and put it up on the open market. There's no telling what the Hulk figure is worth especially when it's the 1st edition. Potentially a rocket ride on your hands for those who intend to get this baby graded. $250 is guaranteed in the bag by 2015. In 5 yrs, you're looking at a 4 figure return on a graded hulk. Just my speculation, but being in the Marvel investing world for 2 decades, I'm pretty sure Mr. brown pants can make lego newbies and veterans roll their eyes.

Personally, I think you're way off on this. But, if you're so sure of it, why are you wasting time flipping this set for $15 a pop? Sell off the other minifigures and the rest of the set, then send in your Hulks to get graded. You'd make more doing this once than flipping 10 sets.

• Like 1

The guy that only got 53 took a BIG loss.

AFA grading costs between $20-40$ depending on how fast you want it back, PLUS the cost to ship to them, PLUS the cost for them to ship back to you.

Never mind what the figure itself cost. AFA grading can make for big $$ but you better be dang sure your item is in much better condition than the other examples of that item, AND that people will actually care.

Link: 

http://www.toygrader.com/submission_loosepricing.aspx

Personally, I think you're way off on this. But, if you're so sure of it, why are you wasting time flipping this set for $15 a pop? Sell off the other minifigures and the rest of the set, then send in your Hulks to get graded. You'd make more doing this once than flipping 10 sets.

I'm not flipping this at all. This is not a flipping set buddy. I flip others but not this. Watch the sellers of this set cry.

The guy that only got 53 took a BIG loss.

AFA grading costs between $20-40$ depending on how fast you want it back, PLUS the cost to ship to them, PLUS the cost for them to ship back to you.

Never mind what the figure itself cost. AFA grading can make for big $$ but you better be dang sure your item is in much better condition than the other examples of that item, AND that people will actually care.

Link: 

http://www.toygrader.com/submission_loosepricing.aspx

Yeeeep, if done properly, the skies are the limits. Let's wait and see who's going to send it for grading first. We'll watch the bids coming in fast and furious when we see Mr. Brown Pants go on ebay.

Yeeeep, if done properly, the skies are the limits. Let's wait and see who's going to send it for grading first. We'll watch the bids coming in fast and furious when we see Mr. Brown Pants go on ebay.

Do you think the typical Marvel action figure collector will care about the Lego figure? I was under the impression that most action figure fans today are all about poseability, accuracy, points of articulation, etc. Lego is most certainly not that. I feel like there's a difference in lego collectors and action figure collectors. Just more thoughts, and debate, enjoy hearing everyone's opins.

Do you think the typical Marvel action figure collector will care about the Lego figure? I was under the impression that most action figure fans today are all about poseability, accuracy, points of articulation, etc. Lego is most certainly not that. I feel like there's a difference in lego collectors and action figure collectors. Just more thoughts, and debate, enjoy hearing everyone's opins.

I collect all kinds of marvel figures, including bowen statues. Anything that is worth collecting that has Hulk or Spiderman written on it, I'm ready to bite like a shark. Ask any other marvel fan. If they are true marvel fan, they'd be eyeing on the Hulk right about now.

I won't be crying, because I'll have made a lot of money with the lot of money I made on the ones I sold already.

And I won't have taken the risk of shelling out money to get the heading done. I just think the grading is for a very narrow market and by doing so you're ruling out most buyers. If you want to hold onto this for years than maybe it will be worth it, but with people who have the system for selling quantity it makes sense to get most of these sold before a new version comes out. I don't think the tan pants will increase in value much until the next one retires.

• Like 1

I know people are flipping it quick, but does it have any long term potential?  I bought 3 yesterday for 49.99 and I think they're the last ones in the city.  Is it worth it to hold them, or will the new set just blunt its momentum?  Thanks in advance!