When does after Christmas Clearance Begin for each retailer?

I wasn't doing this last year, and I thought this would be a good thing for everyone to know as well.

When should we start cruising around for after Christmas Clearance?

Walmart, Kmart, Target, TRU, Meijer - etc. Just give your experiences.

One walmart already had mark downs that I went to, but haven't seen anything else.

I wasn't doing this last year, and I thought this would be a good thing for everyone to know as well.

When should we start cruising around for after Christmas Clearance?

Walmart, Kmart, Target, TRU, Meijer - etc. Just give your experiences.

One walmart already had mark downs that I went to, but haven't seen anything else.

You make me want to drive to every walmart already haha

I happened to be at my Walmart by dumb luck the morning after Christmas, I'm going to guess around 10am.  Most of the sets already had red tag prices on them, I wasn't collecting at the time so I only stocked up on the really discounted stuff for future kid presents.  I want to say that discounts were in the 25-30% range, with a few sets discounted deeper than that.  There may have been a couple sets in the 50% off range.

I happened to be at my Walmart by dumb luck the morning after Christmas, I'm going to guess around 10am.  Most of the sets already had red tag prices on them, I wasn't collecting at the time so I only stocked up on the really discounted stuff for future kid presents.  I want to say that discounts were in the 25-30% range, with a few sets discounted deeper than that.  There may have been a couple sets in the 50% off range.

This is what happened to me last year.  And that's how I started down the path of Lego investing.

I've seen Walmart pull some clearance toys out of storage trailers at various times the week after Christmas. Quite a few Black Pearls hit the floor in late Dec and early Jan last year at $49.50 (in the northeast, anyway). Lots of Bionicle too. The year before there was a good amount of Harry Potter. YMMV, as I've only seen this happen in a select few stores.

Here is my experience last year. I hit as many Walmarts as I could the 2 days after Christmas. Things seemed to go fast. I moved to more rural Walmart stores after the first couple days because it got tougher to find clearance items. Each Walmart had different items on clearance and different prices. Most clearance items seemed to be 25-30%. Most Walmart stores put their clearance toys in the garden area where the Christmas stuff is now. Target seemed to put things on clearance a little later. Maybe a week after Christmas. Things were moved to a clearance area and marked down slightly. Then each week what was left got marked down further. Meijer takes their time and barely marks things down. Like Target things get marked down further the longer they sit. I would say I found clearance items here and there for about 3-4 weeks after Christmas but it definitely got more difficult as the weeks went on. This year seems like it will be different though. The items that should be going to clearance after Christmas are already gone just about everywhere I go. My plan is to spend the 26th searching Walmart stores and the occasional Target and Meijer when I am in the area. If I have luck then I will keep searching in the weeks after but if not I plan to just stick to online sales.

• Like 1

If you have some time, scope out some of your local stores over the next few days.  This will help you to eliminate any stores that are already cleared out, make a note of any stores that have items you're interested in, and maybe, just maybe, find some stores whose managers are trying to get a jump on the clearance sales.  If you find some good inventory, start thinking now about the discount or price point you'll bite on for certain sets - 30 off%?  40%?  And maybe have some specific targets in mind (for me, it's half off Christmas train polybags - aiming low, I know.  And yes, pun intended).  You might still end up running around like crazy, trying to stay ahead of the other resellers, however some advance planning can help maximize your success.  <Insert comment about how much easier it was in the good ol' days here>

And of course, check the forums frequently!

Here is my experience last year. I hit as many Walmarts as I could the 2 days after Christmas. Things seemed to go fast. I moved to more rural Walmart stores after the first couple days because it got tougher to find clearance items. Each Walmart had different items on clearance and different prices. Most clearance items seemed to be 25-30%. Most Walmart stores put their clearance toys in the garden area where the Christmas stuff is now. Target seemed to put things on clearance a little later. Maybe a week after Christmas. Things were moved to a clearance area and marked down slightly. Then each week what was left got marked down further. Meijer takes their time and barely marks things down. Like Target things get marked down further the longer they sit. I would say I found clearance items here and there for about 3-4 weeks after Christmas but it definitely got more difficult as the weeks went on. This year seems like it will be different though. The items that should be going to clearance after Christmas are already gone just about everywhere I go. My plan is to spend the 26th searching Walmart stores and the occasional Target and Meijer when I am in the area. If I have luck then I will keep searching in the weeks after but if not I plan to just stick to online sales.

...and KMart really doesn't start their clearance and 50% off toy clearance deals until early February to mid-March, on and off.  I was finding deals back and forth on ski trips well into March last year.

If you have some time, scope out some of your local stores over the next few days.  This will help you to eliminate any stores that are already cleared out, make a note of any stores that have items you're interested in, and maybe, just maybe, find some stores whose managers are trying to get a jump on the clearance sales.  If you find some good inventory, start thinking now about the discount or price point you'll bite on for certain sets - 30 off%?  40%?  And maybe have some specific targets in mind (for me, it's half off Christmas train polybags - aiming low, I know.  And yes, pun intended).  You might still end up running around like crazy, trying to stay ahead of the other resellers, however some advance planning can help maximize your success.  <Insert comment about how much easier it was in the good ol' days here>

Yeah my walmarts and Targets are mostly all still stocked. People down here only buy stuff if its on sale. However, nothing makes it far in clearance because once people see a red tag they jump. Retards bought like 30 Mines of Moria at $62 last year.

Only thing that made it to 50% was some cap cycles (25) which I grabbed.

If you have some time, scope out some of your local stores over the next few days.  This will help you to eliminate any stores that are already cleared out, make a note of any stores that have items you're interested in [...]

This is what I've been up to the last couple days. I know of a few stores that still have clearance from last cycle that just hit my price threshold yet. I've got a good number of stores near me that are reasonably stocked with good stuff that will be on it's way out.

Only thing that made it to 50% was some cap cycles (25) which I grabbed.

Lucky, Lucky you

This is what I've been up to the last couple days. I know of a few stores that still have clearance from last cycle that just hit my price threshold yet. I've got a good number of stores near me that are reasonably stocked with good stuff that will be on it's way out.

I have several Wal-Marts around here that moved their August/September stuff to the trailers, so I know it will trickle out into the Garden Center during all of January.

I have several Wal-Marts around here that moved their August/September stuff to the trailers, so I know it will trickle out into the Garden Center during all of January.

I've heard of these here on the forums but I've haven't heard of any stores in my area doing such a thing. I haven't ever noticed any significant amount of stock just disappear only to reappear. Nor do any of my stores have "sidewalk sales" as some have mentioned. Last two years every Walmart I visited had all the Lego they were clearing marked 50% off in the system on Dec 26th. My gut said it was a corporate markdown (maybe only regional). Last Dec 26th I visited 3 stores and spent about $1500 and everything (safe a POC ship) was 50% off and all three stores had the same items marked down to the same prices. Hoping for the same this year but not holding my breath. Especially since this falls lousy 30% corporate clearance. I know for some that sounds amazing but in my area I could have bought endlesss stock at 30% but I just don't have the room to sit on that much crap. Some stores still have Mirkwood Spiders, Quinjets, Ninjago, Mines of Moria, Gob Kings, and more still on their shelves at 30% off.

I think packing stuff up is a regional/space issue.  3 of my 4 closest walmarts are superwalmarts built within the last 6 years, so they have plenty of space and haven't put any clearance away since I started investing early this year.  Targets will be interesting though because stuff just randomly appears all the time with them.

Righto!  Forgot about that!  They pack up the July clearance no sales...and what they don't donate...they container until Christmas.  Expect a bunch of hobbit and possibly hulk.   Whee!   Thanks for the reminder!  There are a ton of containers at all my Wal-Mart's too.

Don't bother driving north.  Already pick through every Walmart for Hulk on clearance within a 50 mile radius during the summer.  The remainder at full price are sold out in the past month.  I have zero hope for any clearances in the coming months.  Every store is essentially cleared out of the old set over the summer already.  With the way it is this xmas season, the Lego section is going look thin for a while.  

We usually have good deals in Canada as we have Boxing Day sales. TRU had quite a few sets for 40-50% off last year.

Most stores south of the border also have deals as most Canadians shop there because everything is cheaper.

I am about 20 minutes from the Washington border so I can easily jump across. 

Sears and Canadian Tire slashed all Lego 50% off last year as well as they only bring in toys for the holidays into their B&M stores.

Hopefully I can get some good deals at Walmart on the 26th. I will also check the Target nearby and fill up PAB box.