21010 - Robie House

DoNotInsertIntoMouth

It is rising. I think it was predictable it would rise up at least to about $300. But I am not sure it has much higher of a ceiling with its production run. DO we really think its a $400 set? Not sure. Thats why I will probably be done with the 3 I have at $300.

Agreed.  One of the things that attracted me to the set was the $200 price point.  I think that the builders that don't have enough cash for that really large Sydney Opera house will look at this set as an alternative.  

• Like 1

Has a lot going for it...dark red, lots of pieces (one of the most dense sets I have held), and looks amazing. Biggest con is it's not nearly as iconic as the other buildings to the general public.

Agreed - this one really will appeal to architects and FLW fans.  That said, I do think the Architecture theme is garnering its own fan base and I would guess these folks, along with architecture fans, will be the bread and butter of Robie's market. 

Also, someone earlier in the thread commented that the color is off.  This is true - the actual color is more of an orangey brick red.  But apart from the color, the model is incredibly accurate to the actual house.

Since the Robie's are disappearing are any of you buying more of the Imperial Hotels?  I have one and will probably have a total of 5 by the end of the year.  Also I was a bit surprised when I say what the White House was going for during the holidays on ebay.  Unless I pick up more Robie's, which I doubt, the only architecture sets I plan on stocking up on are the Imperial Hotel, Falling Water, and White House.  I can easily see these going for at least 50% more over MSRP so if your ever able to score these for 50% off that's not a bad deal.

Since the Robie's are disappearing are any of you buying more of the Imperial Hotels?  I have one and will probably have a total of 5 by the end of the year.  Also I was a bit surprised when I say what the White House was going for during the holidays on ebay.  Unless I pick up more Robie's, which I doubt, the only architecture sets I plan on stocking up on are the Imperial Hotel, Falling Water, and White House.  I can easily see these going for at least 50% more over MSRP so if your ever able to score these for 50% off that's not a bad deal.

Dude - I was surprised what the whole theme did during Christmas. Within about 2 months my thoughts on this theme were completely changed.

Who would have though a 66 piece set in the John Hancock center would be selling for 5 times its retail price? Freakin insane. And it had like a 4 year run.

I like the imperial hotel, but I don't think its as good a buy as Big Ben or Falling Water right now. But I think 3-5 is about right. 

Dude - I was surprised what the whole theme did during Christmas. Within about 2 months my thoughts on this theme were completely changed.

Who would have though a 66 piece set in the John Hancock center would be selling for 5 times its retail price? Freakin insane. And it had like a 4 year run.

I like the imperial hotel, but I don't think its as good a buy as Big Ben or Falling Water right now. But I think 3-5 is about right. 

Yeah since I'm a recent brick investor most of the completed listing from the holidays are gone so I'm not sure how all of the architect sets did.  Something tells me during this holiday season I'll need to adjust my strategy a few times because of that and I'm fine w/ that I guess.  I do think it's harder to pick out winners in this series.  I am going to scoop up as many Falling Waters and Whites Houses as I can this year.  I see both of them lasting long after retirement, especially the White House.  In another life I used to rub shoulders w/ a bunch of smiley politicians.  If anything, there will always be hundreds of elitist scum that will want this set each year.  I'll research Big Ben.

• Like 1

Isn't imperial hotel a 2013 release? Unless its deep discount I wouldn't bother with it yet. I'm focusing on falling water. BN has limited stock of this set. Tru doesn't have it on their website now. Once it's retired I believe it will vanish faster than the robie house did.

• Like 1

That's a good point about the IH release date that I over looked.  I think I was distracted on Brickset because it said that 554 own the hotel and 914 want it.  BN has around 1,300 in stock of the Falling Water last time I checked.  All you need to do is sweet talk those employees and look at the screen when they do and you can see the numbers plain as day.  I do thank you for that reminder about the 2013 release.  I think I'll wait and pick up more IH's in 2015.  Now sure what the inventory numbers are on the White Houses and those came out in 2010.  I'll look into it this week.

I'm stocking up on Eiffel Tower too. Can you get much more iconic than that?

I still think it's funny how to us and many the Eiffel Tower is an iconic landmark yet for the French it is just an eyesore. Haha. I do like the Lego model and believe it should make a good investment in due time. The Imperial Hotel would be a personal pick from the Architecture theme both as a build and unique structure that unfortunately was just recently demolished a year ago I think.

• 2 months later...

So, I found another Robie House, but the box is a bit beat up, but nothing too drastic.

How do you all feel about 15% off + 10% B&****** membership?

Checking the prices on eBay, I think I can still make a good profit if I hold it for another 6+ months...

So, I found another Robie House, but the box is a bit beat up, but nothing too drastic.

How do you all feel about 15% off + 10% B&****** membership?

Checking the prices on eBay, I think I can still make a good profit if I hold it for another 6+ months...

Pay for it with some BN GC at 15% off. Due to the weight Mint boxes are hard to come by

• Like 1

I wish I could find one at B&****** right now. I would like to own one myself, but I am not willing to pay >$200.

I picked up a used one for $150 last week. Box and manual included. If you watch these on eBay closely you can get a used one for less than $200. By the way, I love this set. Don't understand why some don't like it.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Here is the BN Robie house locator when you search your zip code set it to 100 miles and look at the bottom of the results page for the next function to see more results. I used this to track down a few and it works great. They will hold it for you for 3 days and you can receive a text if it is truly located in stock. Also you don't have to pay until pickup so if the box is destroyed you can pass.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/search/store.asp?EAN=673419159685&zipcode=19904-1988

• Like 1

Here is the BN Robie house locator

Thanks for that. There is one about 60 miles from where I live. Assuming $20 for gas and $0 for 2.5 hours of driving, GC+coupon+membership+tax would take this to about $160. Not bad. The only problem is that I somehow have to convince my better half that this is worth it. And I would need a coupon - somebody has one that will not be used otherwise? :)

Can you Elaborate? Are you referring buying through Raise.com or some other form of gc?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Sorry for the delayed response went to sleep. Well we are supposed to promote Raise.com on this site so I will send you a PM

Thanks for that. There is one about 60 miles from where I live. Assuming $20 for gas and $0 for 2.5 hours of driving, GC+coupon+membership+tax would take this to about $160. Not bad. The only problem is that I somehow have to convince my better half that this is worth it. And I would need a coupon - somebody has one that will not be used otherwise? :)

Just tell her that you want to take her to some restaurant that is in the area. Keep in mind this advice comes from an old divoriced man but if you grow a set ( I'm joking) I have a 15% coupon for you

• Like 1

Just used a 20% coupon and 10% membership to score one for $155 after tax....only downside is the box is shrinkwrapped, and it appeared that the set tabs were gone from under it - so not sure how well this one will resell. I will have to open it and verify contents.

• 6 months later...