Need Advice Zero Feed Back Ebayer

dbost01

I am a new seller on Ebay with only about 200 sales and a little over 100 feedbacks at 100 positive ratio.

My problem

Ebayer, with zero feedback, bought a Hulkcarrier 6868 and is now saying

"I ordered the hulk carrier breakout set(6868) for my son for Christmas. The set was said to be new and sealed and appeared that way when delivered. However when we opened the set all bags where not sealed and all the figures were missing. The figures were why he wanted this set and he was devasted. This was his main gift and it really spoiled the holiday for him and his belief in Santa. I am hoping you can make this right and quickly please."

I personally don't want negative feedback but I think even if I give him a full refund he is still going to give negative feedback. And I don't plan on buying all the minifigures and mailing them to him.

F.Y.I Probably not very helpful but I do weigh all my sets to insure the weight is correct before selling them or keeping them for collection.

What should I do?

thanks

Not sure what you can do to avoid negative unless you mail him the figs I guess... at best he might put neutral

There has been a discussion about this particular set in the forums earlier this week about people buying it, taking out the minifigs ( especially hulk), resealing it , and returning it to the store. Your buyer might, and I emphasize on might" , be telling the truth.

You might want to offer a full refund, maybe pay for return shipping. Explain that you had the set new and sealed and no way of telling it was tampered with. He probably will be happy with that and he can always buy another one.

I recently sold 2 of those and I'm hoping I don't run into a similar issue. This set looks like a scammer magnet

Once again, probably not important, but if the set was missing all four minifigures it would have weighed about 2 ounces less. However, I imagine ebay doesn't care about that and even if the guy has zero feedback ebay will side with him.

Now, if I offer a full refund and even let the guy keep the set will Ebay protect me against bad feedback on this one?

Once again, probably not important, but if the set was missing all four minifigures it would have weighed about 2 ounces less. However, I imagine ebay doesn't care about that and even if the guy has zero feedback ebay will side with him.

Now, if I offer a full refund and even let the guy keep the set will Ebay protect me against bad feedback on this one?

I dont see why anyone would leave you a negative feedback if you do all that, then again some people cant be pleased.

Regarding your question I would ask Just a Frog, she knows Ebay policies and procedures inside out. She will probably reply on her own, but you might want to PM her.

Good luck

I dont see why anyone would leave you a negative feedback if you do all that, then again some people cant be pleased.

Regarding your question I would ask Just a Frog, she knows Ebay policies and procedures inside out. She will probably reply on her own, but you might want to PM her.

Good luck

Knowing the policy and telling them what they dont want to hear will still land you a negative. When it comes to some people even refunding them their money and letting them keep the set they will still leave a negative. I would just follow the policy and if they are completely unreasonable they will leave a bad feedback nothing you can do .. cant please everyone. I would ask for the set back. Most likely the zero feedback buyer just wanted hulk .. pulled out the figures and most likely lying.

I am really thinking with these sets I am just going to open all of them and make sure and verify everything is there before hand. I trust my salesman skills and Ebay profile to be able to sell the opened set for the same amount of money.

Also, you can then show a picture of the contents in the listing and people will know that the set was complete so they wont try that crap.

On a related note, I bought this set from a guy I buy a lot of stuff from and it had the hulk pilfered and everything else sealed as well.

I am really thinking with these sets I am just going to open all of them and make sure and verify everything is there before hand. I trust my salesman skills and Ebay profile to be able to sell the opened set for the same amount of money.

Also, you can then show a picture of the contents in the listing and people will know that the set was complete so they wont try that crap.

On a related note, I bought this set from a guy I buy a lot of stuff from and it had the hulk pilfered and everything else sealed as well.

You can also open it verify its all there .. tell people you opened it to make sure everything was sealed and new. I dont think people will care .. because 95% of people are going to open the box anyways!

Sucks but I have had dirtbags pull this same thing on me a few times .. really no way to prove they are lying and ebay will side with buyer always. 

I opened a SW set from Meijer and it was missing all the minifigs.  It is a pretty crappy thing to have happen, but it does happen.  I would drop ship him one from an online retailer and let him keep the ruined set.  Let him know what you are doing and make sure that he knows that you are going above and beyond what is expected.  That should make him happy and hopefully you avoid any negative feedback.  

• Like 1

In this particular case, with the known issues on this set, I'd go with segreto's advice if you want your best shot at avoiding the negative. Regardless of weighing, eBay will side with the buyer on this one. You can demand the return before refunding but I wouldn't bother if it's not worth your return postage cost to get a partial set back.

• Like 1

I opened a SW set from Meijer and it was missing all the minifigs.  It is a pretty crappy thing to have happen, but it does happen.  I would drop ship him one from an online retailer and let him keep the ruined set.  Let him know what you are doing and make sure that he knows that you are going above and beyond what is expected.  That should make him happy and hopefully you avoid any negative feedback.  

In this particular case, with the known issues on this set, I'd go with segreto's advice if you want your best shot at avoiding the negative. Regardless of weighing, eBay will side with the buyer on this one. You can demand the return before refunding but I wouldn't bother if it's not worth your return postage cost to get a partial set back.

Unfortunately this set is retired so hes not gonna be able to drop ship it from anywhere.

If you still have the receipt from where you bought it and you paid $35 or over, you can make the decision whether it is worth it to eat the shipping and then return the original set to the retailer and risk a negative.

If you can't return it, let him keep it. Set is worth about 15$ish without minifigs.

For FBA Amazon requires you to label these sets (so they can distinguish yours from another buyer,)

Luckily most of my sets came from toys r us.com (returns are possible but less likely if they have to pay return shipping)

I'd imagine a few customers complaining about this could get you in serious trouble with FBA.. It has me a little worried honestly. . 

From the buyers email, I'd guess hes messing around with you but its impossible to know. 

Unfortunately this set is retired so hes not gonna be able to drop ship it from anywhere.

If you still have the receipt from where you bought it and you paid $35 or over, you can make the decision whether it is worth it to eat the shipping and then return the original set to the retailer and risk a negative.

If you can't return it, let him keep it. Set is worth about 15$ish without minifigs.

He can drop ship it from any online seller who will accept the sale, we drop ship books for other booksellers regularly.

No I mean the set is gone from stores. So there is no where to drop ship it from. Just Ebay secondary market prices.

Correct. And that's his best option to try to avoid the neg if that's his priority.

If he simply wants to follow what eBay will require of him, a full refund with or without requiring a return will cover him, but he's more likely to end up with the neg.

Thanks for all the advice.

I got message from the buyer early this morning.

At this point, I rather just avoid the negative.

If I was to send the buyer all the minifigures and if the buyer was still to give me a negative feedback would Ebay by chance remove the negative feedback?

Thanks,

The buyer can still leave a negative and eBay won't remove it in this case. All you can do is try. Everyone gets them occasionally, but it does sting more for a new seller and I understand the desire to avoid it if you can. Remember not to ask the buyer not to leave a neg as a condition of whatever you do for him, as that's not permitted either.

Tell that person to go F' himself. Unless you weighted out your set to verify everything is inside, it's he said she said, and you'll lose the case regardless with Ebay. If you already have 100% feedback, it would not affect your track to be seller plus or power seller. All you can do at this point is damage control and hopefully keep as much money as possible without give him a full refund. Just take the negative feedback as a small papercut instead of a huge shiner.

• Like 1

The weighing that a seller states they performed, or even the weight of a package at the postal counter verified by the clerk, will not cause eBay to rule in a seller's favor. It's still he said/she said: eBay has no idea if the posted weights of Lego sets are accurate, if the seller tossed a couple of spare pieces in the box to come up with the right weight, etc., just as they have no idea if the buyer is lying.*

IF this buyer has a history of returns and many not-as-described claims (and with zero feedback it's unlikely unless this is a multiple account user dumb enough to link his/her accounts) eBay might side with the seller. Might.

But if the buyer wants a full refund, they're going to get it. If the seller refuses to take a return on not as described in this case, eBay is going to refund the money, out of the seller's account, without requiring the return.

And, since this is an issue with these sets that posters here have experienced themselves, this would be one of those cases where the buyer probably deserves some benefit of the doubt.

*I am not accusing the OP of any such behavior, simply showing that eBay has no way to know who's right and hence won't typically pick a side in cases like these.

This smells like a scam to be honest. When a person injects emotion into their complaint like this, ie "my child is greatly upset", "their belief in X-mas is ruined", it is all in an effort to guilt you. It wasn't enough for them to stick to the facts and just say "Hey a recieved this set, opened it and found the minifigs missing. What can you do to fix this?"

In a case like this, I would tell the buyer to send the set back to you, at THEIR expense, and when you receive it you will offer a full refund. This request is only fair, and if they follow through and still leave a NEG you can call eBay, have them check your account records to see that you gave them a refund and eBay will most likely remove the NEG as you did all that you can.

If the person says its not worth their time and added cost to ship it back for the refund and just drops their complaint then you can safely guess that they were looking to scam you in the first place. Be sure to block their ID in any case.