10144 - UCS: Sandcrawler

bibious

Star City is correct. Demand and supply go in 'reverse, when refreshes are announced, I don't think he's moaning. Instead, he is being informative and further stressing a point.

Quit your moaning, Lego investing is getting tougher for everyone. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Remakes don't always drop values on older sets. The UCS 7191 is the best example of this. If the new Sandcrawler is subpar, many of you will be sorry that you unloaded your sets.

A risky game indeed, especially because (as far as I know) no set images have been leaked to give a hint as to what the new one will look like.

Remakes don't always drop values on older sets. The UCS 7191 is the best example of this. If the new Sandcrawler is subpar, many of you will be sorry that you unloaded your sets.

With the new set being so expensive, it might not have as much of a detrimental impact on the original.  If you want a sealed Sandcrawler, you are still looking at $300+ a pop.  Maybe more used sets will be sold because of this.

It really depends on each remake.  Most remakes are better than the original with regards to STAR WARS sets.  If the new Sandcrawler is a UCS set, then the older set will suffer.  If it is not and is similar in appearance and build, then the 10144 might not be affected and maybe even appreciate.  Iconic sets like the 7191, 10030, 10179 are just that...iconic and are very collectible, even with the possibility of newer sets being released.  The 10144 is a borderline set IMO.  While it is a fan favorite, the set itself can be improved quite a bit.  I have a couple of 10144s, but personally would love to see a 4000-5000 piece UCS Sandcrawler get released.  

hi ed,

i think 7191 might be a rare expectation to this theory so far.  While it was released in May 2013, other refreshes have hurt original set growth (M.Falcons, Batman 1, Potter Castles and trains, City sets, etc...).   The 6211 Sail Barge is still decreasing despite the new one's Pros (minifigs) and Cons (smaller in size).  Same for Batman 1 Arkham, and Batmobile, Batplane, and even the Batcave to some degree.  At least 7888 Tumbler is still increasing since the refresh wasn't really one  It does seem that minifigs are a key deciding factor in original sets maintaining value (e.g. Killer Croc and Alfred in Batman 1).    note:  I do believe original used sets are 'hit' harder than new ones.  However, the demand is far less than before (e.g. Batman 1 Batcave, Sail Barge, Jabba's Palace, 1st 2 M.Falcons) since the new ones are cheaper and still fresh on buyers' minds

It will be interesting to revisit this "refresh"  topic again this May for 7191.

hi ed,

i think 7191 might be a rare expectation to this theory so far.  While it was released in May 2013, other refreshes have hurt original set growth (M.Falcons, Batman 1, Potter Castles and trains, City sets, etc...).   The 6211 Sail Barge is still decreasing despite the new one's Pros (minifigs) and Cons (smaller in size).  Same for Batman 1 Arkham, and Batmobile, Batplane, and even the Batcave to some degree.  At least 7888 Tumbler is still increasing since the refresh wasn't really one  It does seem that minifigs are a key deciding factor in original sets maintaining value (e.***. Killer Croc and Alfred in Batman 1).    note:  I do believe original used sets are 'hit' harder than new ones.  However, the demand is far less than before (e.***. Batman 1 Batcave, Sail Barge, Jabba's Palace, 1st 2 M.Falcons) since the new ones are cheaper and still fresh on buyers' minds

It will be interesting to revisit this "refresh"  topic again this May for 7191.

I agree - Regardless of what the stats seem to show, it is simply not a sellers market for the 7191. It appears that 3 of the last 5 months showed no new set sales on ebay (so there is a limited amount of data), and the prices for used ones seem to have been down.

The set has still held up pretty well though, but I think that is mostly due to the fact that most all of the older UCS's in New/Sealed condition have gone up pretty high.

I'm not really taking a stance on the new Sandcrawler other than saying that if it is of inferior quality to the original, the 10144 probably won't be affected and may even get a boost in sales.  The 7191 is an all time iconic LEGO set(Great build, great box, accurate in appearance), so maybe the comparison is unfair, but that's why I really don't worry about future remakes of iconic LEGO sets...they stand on their own and many collectors like myself want them in addition to the newer sets...and pay for it.

Rumor has the price set around $350.  For that kind of money I have trouble envisioning it as an inferior set to the old Sandcrawler. 

If that is true, then it would probably be in the 3000 piece range and seriously damage the market of the 10144.  That would be A LOT of brown pieces in a LEGO set...maybe too many.  LOL

• 4 months later...

Just a 6 month check-in as promised earlier.

As expected, 10144s are taking a hit since Feb (when 75059 was officially announced)

post-3743-0-28857600-1405767404.jpg

The # of sets sold have decreased as well due to less demand.

post-3743-0-84674700-1405767600.jpg

UCS 7191 X-Wing MISB prices are steady according to both Brickpicker and Bricklink sales data. Used 7191 demand seems to be pretty low though. This is to be expected since the new one is $199 which is pretty close to the used 7191 market price.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=7191-1-&colorID=0&v=D&viewExclude=Y&cID=Y

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7191-1

• 1 month later...