9516 - Jabba's Palace

Brick625

Ok call me dumb...I just pulled the trigger bought from Amazon with one click $99.97

Not dumb at all. Either way this is a good set and that is a good price. I only not buying one because I think you're going to be sitting on it for a long while since it is fairly new yet.

Since hitting 'confirm' for the 79010 order, I've amended my rule to read: 'right, NO MORE LEGO THIS MONTH, AND THIS TIME I MEAN IT!'.

I'm hopeful of success this time round.

Partly because I think hubby would go ape if I spent any more, but mostly because February is less than a handful of days away :-)

Funny I have the same rule.......but I break it all the time as well. That's the cool thing about making your own rules, you can break them.

This is why I never make 'New Year's Resolutions'. They never stick. The most I can do is limit the amount of LEGO I buy whenever I go out shopping. But go 'cold turkey'? Naw, homey don't play that!

• 2 weeks later...

What are people's thoughts on the new Jabba's Palace and Rancor Pit? Jabba's Palace seems to be on salve everywhere, yet I'm hoping that when it retires (some time from now), it may significantly increase in value. When paired with the Rancor Pit, would you say you had a profitable duo as a sort of 'set'? Any thoughts please, cheers!

Both of these sets are very overpriced. Even on sale in my opinion they still too expensive. Most sets seem to be around $0.10 per piece. I know it isn't the only factor to consider when investing but I always look at how many pieces are in the set to try and determine a price where I would be comfortable buying. Jabba

Agreed on the price point.......what pushes me on the buying side of the fence is the coolness factor. My plan from the begining is to buy equal amount of both sets and sell them together in a few years. I know the prices suck but I think they will do fine in the secondary market.

I agree. If I ever buy these I would do the same thing. Buy equal amounts of each. They are really cool sets and if I can find them at a better price I will definitely buy some.

Definitely cool, but as LD mentioned, a little on the pricey side. I don't think there is any rush on these sets. I'm even willing to wait until the post-Christmas period next year before really thinking about targeting these sets (unless I see them at more than 40-50% off)

I agree with everything said already, the price point is pretty bad. But at times, the price point makes customers choose other sets, which makes sales for that set sluggish, which would make Lego retire it sooner. In that case, it might not matter the initial cost since it could quickly rise in value after retirement because so many people now want a set that is no longer available. Funny how it can work sometimes, but I think both should be around a bit--at least long enough to find on a decent sale. Sometimes you can wait too long, but you just never know for sure, eh? If that set is a lock investment for you, then make sure you have some. If you feel other sets offer better potential, go elsewhere.

But at times, the price point makes customers choose other sets, which makes sales for that set sluggish, which would make Lego retire it sooner.

Or it could make for heavy discounts on the set. So thinking you got a great deal at $99 and then seeing it for $69 could be a bummer. I do agree though that sometimes you don't want to wait too long. I missed out on some sets by waiting too long. All of a sudden they get hard to find and everyone scrambles to get one and they get sold out everywhere and you have to resort to ebay to get one. You definitely have to be on top of things if you don't want to miss out.

Another vote here for them being potentially a good investment for resale together. Are there many other sets besides the modular Creators where you intentionally link two sets together? I think that'll be a nice draw on the secondary market, particularly as the new movies approach assuming the sets are EOL. I was happy to get one Jabba at $80, am also waiting for a better deal on the Rancor pit. The Rancor figure itself seems to be going $15+ on eBay...