71006 - The Simpsons House

Jeff Mack

The Simpsons House  

549 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about The Simpsons House?

• Love it!
    • Could be better.
    • Hate it.
    • Don't care either way.
  2. 2. How do you feel about investment potential?

• It's a winner!
    • It's okay.
    • It stinks.
  3. 3. Are you interested to see more sets for The Simpsons?

• Yes, please!
    • No, thank you.
    • Couldn't care less.

19 hours ago, Migration said:

You ever build Haunted House? It's an excellent display piece that holds its own against any of the modulars.

No, but I would love too, can i get one for retail? Perhaps I will build the Mystery Mansion instead.....

Edited by Deanfjr

Yeah, even if it's not hoarded by the horde, it's still not going to provide great returns compared to putting your money in something else.  I made the mistake of buying 3 simpsons series 2 minifigure cases, and it's going to take me quite a while to just break even on a majority of them.  While some figures have a demand, most do not.  The demand just isn't there.  Same goes for Series 1.  A lot of those figures take forever for people to purchase.  I just don't have faith in Simpsons as lego's at this point.  So, i'm skipping these sets like the plague.  Good luck to those that do get them, but I just don't think the market is there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Yeah, even if it's not hoarded by the horde, it's still not going to provide great returns compared to putting your money in something else.  I made the mistake of buying 3 simpsons series 2 minifigure cases, and it's going to take me quite a while to just break even on a majority of them.  While some figures have a demand, most do not.  The demand just isn't there.  Same goes for Series 1.  A lot of those figures take forever for people to purchase.  I just don't have faith in Simpsons as lego's at this point.  So, i'm skipping these sets like the plague.  Good luck to those that do get them, but I just don't think the market is there.

I agree, as tempting as it is, I am also staying away. I am willing to concede on the Simpsons and make my money elsewhere

I will make sure to have a bowl of popcorn and a beer :beerhat:  to watch the people go nuts when it retires

Edited by Deanfjr
  • Like 1

The Thing that gets me all the people who say a set will be a dud and will not get any, but as soon as the set is getting ready to retire thats when at least 50% of the ones who said they weren't getting any really start to panic and scramble to get some, its just the way it is. If you can afford it at least get a few of each of them.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, emazers said:

The Thing that gets me all the people who say a set will be a dud and will not get any, but as soon as the set is getting ready to retire thats when at least 50% of the ones who said they weren't getting any really start to panic and scramble to get some, its just the way it is. If you can afford it at least get a few of each of them.

Folks that had zero Tumblers were able to purchase 20+ of them in the final two weeks of availability. It's the way of the Horde these days. With exclusives not being discounted and anybody being able to buy a bunch of these last minute, I don't think many see the benefits of early stockpiling. It's like getting the chick without ever having to sit on the egg.

• Like 1

In contrast to previous years, there have been no rumored Simpsons D2C sets or minifigs for this year.  There was a brief rumor about Android's Dungeon comic shop last year, but there has been nothing to support it so far this year.

There is definitely a faction of AFOLs that want more Simpsons sets and those that will buy the Simpsons House and Kwik-E-Mart in the future if they don't already have them when they retire.

44 minutes ago, emazers said:

These are the people that make short term investing profitable - post EOL price bumps would not be as high if it weren´t for the scramblers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pete411 said:

Folks that had zero Tumblers were able to purchase 20+ of them in the final two weeks of availability. It's the way of the Horde these days. With exclusives not being discounted and anybody being able to buy a bunch of these last minute, I don't think many see the benefits of early stockpiling. It's like getting the chick without ever having to sit on the egg.

I guess it depends on the quality of boxes people want.  Buying at the last minute , you are almost guaranteeing to get mostly damaged or shelf-worn boxes.  I think that does play a role because most people willing to spend 3x on a set want something that doesn't look it was ran through a washer machine.  So, if you want many horde early.  

Regardless, just from my previous history with the simpsons minifigures, i'm shying away from the exclusives as an investment.  As we are seeing many times lately, exclusives are either hit or miss.  I think these are misses.  These will definitely not go up like a seacow.  I just don't see it happening.  I'd rather spend 200 on smaller sets that will rise 3 times faster and you can purge in less than a year.

1 minute ago, fossilrock said:

I guess it depends on the quality of boxes people want.  Buying at the last minute , you are almost guaranteeing to get mostly damaged or shelf-worn boxes.  I think that does play a role because most people willing to spend 3x on a set want something that doesn't look it was ran through a washer machine

I've never had this problem, and i always buy late. I guess there's at least an element of luck to it

2 hours ago, emazers said:

Why is it getting to you? It's their "loss" if the set is a stud and their "win" if the set is a dud.  Everyone has different finances or storage constraints.   Sometimes the best lessons learnt are the ones that hit the wallet because of their actions. 

"Live and learn"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bricketycricket said:

Why are people comparing an exclusive set to collectible minifigs? CMFs are a massively overproduced $4 item, of course you're not making money off of them.

Because they are simpsons brand lego's and they are not popular.  The lego movie minifigs = popular and have aftermarket demands.  Simpsons line of lego's just don't have the popularity.  They don't move AT ALL! It's also evident because last year there was a rumor of the comic book shop becoming a set and this year, it doesn't seem like it's happening, so even Lego realizes these are a dud.  Could they take off?  Maybe, but I have my doubts.  Like I said, the simpsons lego minifigure line is a good way to test the water on these larger exclusives, and i've seen that they are DUDS with my own two eyes, and my own wallet so would I invest further?  No.  And I have made money on other lego minifigure lines, the simpsons are the duds out of the last 5 series…  If you want to invest thousands in simpsons exclusives go for it, but don't be shocked when you are waiting 50 years for them to go beyond 300.00.  So, is hoarding this exclusive worth it for  20 to 30.00?  NO.  I could easily put that money in one rey's speeder bike and would more than likely get the same return. They'll probably both retire around the same time too.

Edited by fossilrock

19 minutes ago, meowsmeowsmeows said:

CMF Simpsons $4 investments vs D2C $200 set investments are not comparable.

Simpsons=simpsons, regardless if they are 4.00 or 200.00.   It took forever for the simpsons series figures to sell out, and they move just as slow on the aftermarket.  Expect the same for the exclusives..  If this was back in the early 90s then they would be snatched up at a rate that would be on par with some other lines like last years Jurassic World or Force Awakens, but that is just not reality anymore.   Secondly, just because they are exclusives doesn't mean they are magical and going to give you instant returns.  I'm already looking at many exclusives I purchased last year, and wondering why I didn't instead buy other sets that were half the price, or less and just spent the same money on those.  The returns would be so much better.   There are many many cases over the last two years where the exclusive sets as investments are not as solid as smaller, or mid range sets.   Simpsons and exclusives = count me out.  But, I hope for those that are hoarding them that i'm wrong, but I have my doubts on it, because they will take forever to sell. 

Guest brickcrazyhouse
4 hours ago, emazers said:

Staying at $200.00 after it retires, No way that will happen, I am at 15 Simpson Houses and Kwi Marts. these 2 will do very good down the road.   Ed

Are you intending on selling all as a pairing?