71006 - The Simpsons House

Jeff Mack

The Simpsons House  

549 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about The Simpsons House?

• Love it!
    • Could be better.
    • Hate it.
    • Don't care either way.
  2. 2. How do you feel about investment potential?

• It's a winner!
    • It's okay.
    • It stinks.
  3. 3. Are you interested to see more sets for The Simpsons?

• Yes, please!
    • No, thank you.
    • Couldn't care less.

Just do some research on amazon or ebay, your choice.  I don't believe series 2 was as mass produced as series 13 or series 14, but they took forever to sell out, and required a clearance sale at lego.  In many walgreens around my area, I could go into them and pick up 3 or 4 more complete sets out a few stores if I wanted.  Some targets in my area still have them. They haven't moved at all.  They came out in late april, and here we are a year later, and about half the stock still remains.  Meanwhile series 13 and series 14 are gone.  I just think the signs are there that the simpsons are a slow seller.  I just checked, and I've sold only 3 bundles of simpsons lego minifigures since I put them up in august of last year.  I've sold many many times that with Series 14.  Only the one per case figures like Mr Burns, Comic Book Guy, Grandpa Simpson have some real value to them.  The rest mostly sell under retail, or to a point where you are going to lose money after fees/shipping.  SO, yes, i'm talking from mere experience here, as at one point, I felt these were gold and would be a hot commodity, well that never turned out to be the case.  I should have learned from Series 1, where the margins have been as slim, but I felt after they announced Series 2, series 1 would surely go higher.  It's barely moved up at all.  Series 2 is a money loser at this point, and I don't expect much from them.  I bet I lose 50 to 60 dollars per case from these when all is said and done and I factor in fees/time/shipping…  Granted, you win some and you lose some, but the simpsons are a "lose some".  So, i've already invested about a grand in Simpsons lego's and would I take a gamble on something like the quickee mart?  No.  Not even spending 200 on one.  I don't believe just because it's an exclusive that is going to help it.  I don't think many people are going to pull the trigger on a quickee mart at 400.00 or even 300.00.  That's how little faith I have in lego simpsons at this point.   We are already seeing cracks in the exclusive market, and so how deep do you want to dig?   I don't know about you, but i'm not digging deeper with the Simpsons.

• Like 3

S1 Minifigs seem to be Ok, S2 is the one where it went off the rails - probably because there are only so many important characters and most folk want need different versions of the main ones.

SH is going to be a risky investment as it is one of the slower moving exclusives at RRP so I´d only stock up if I got at least 25% off. Kwik E Mart is going to depend a lot on when it retires - if they pull the range at the same time, it will be much rarer than the house. However, if it has a 2 yr or greater cycle, I´d forget about it - even discounted.

Of course, folk that are happy to sell for a 10% profit or wait a decade for it to became really scarce probably won´t need to worry too much but their cash would still likely give better returns elsewhere on stuff like Wall E.

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Of course, folk that are happy to sell for a 10% profit or wait a decade for it to became really scarce probably won´t need to worry too much but their cash would still likely give better returns elsewhere on stuff like Wall E.

Would Wall E happen to be your brick brother?

• Like 2

For all the talk about "not selling" and "slow moving", the 02S6 seals on my Simpsons House seem strange to me. "Oh man, The Simpsons House is not selling at all, let's make some more!" You'd think they would stop producing them if they have a bunch of leftover stock. Or are they doing a last run and then letting it fade out slowly?

• Like 2

It´s slow moving from an investment standpoint. Sales are much better than Chima or a number of other sets - just not good enough to be a desirable keeper with all the hoarding now going on.

One thing to be aware of is that if no new Simpons items come out, it could signal the end of the license and we could get a Hobbit like situation where recent releases go along with the older stuff.

If nothing more is announced by the summer, I´d say the line will be pulled in winter 2016 which would fit in with a standard 2.5 year shelf life. (1.5 for KWEM)

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

This whole discussion reminds me of a discussion we had about some ugly weird looking cow-pirate ship out of some kind of a movie that was way too ugly for anyone to pay more than $300 for....I'll say again what I said then; please, don't buy any of these horroble Simpson sets amd lets atop talking about these sets alltogether...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Brick said:

This whole discussion reminds me of a discussion we had about some ugly weird looking cow-pirate ship out of some kind of a movie that was way too ugly for anyone to pay more than $300 for....I'll say again what I said then; please, don't buy any of these horroble Simpson sets amd lets atop talking about these sets alltogether...

You mean the one that got hyped up for a couple of weeks and now no one is buying or even commenting on here?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Brick said:

Good, that's my signal to buy 10 more!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarxMarvelous said:

You mean actual lego mini fig heads and not the rubber molded monstrosities that they are now? Yes! I would! 

I agree - The classic artistic element of LEGO has unfortunately been lost.

The excessive mold/print details on today's minifigs are also out of place (since the minifig form itself is extremely simplistic).

14 hours ago, Val-E said:

You mean the one that got hyped up for a couple of weeks and now no one is buying or even commenting on here?

They're still selling for $429 and up so not bad for a set that just retired and nobody wanted to buy. We'll see in time if the Seacow was a good investment I guess. I won't go as deep as I sometimes go on these larger sets (25) but will get roughly 10 of each of these Simpson sets

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Val-E said:

It´s slow moving from an investment standpoint.

Of course it's "slow moving" from an investment standpoint.  It's available for retail at S@H, Amazon and Target right now. 

Why in the world would you try to compete against Lego? 

For our newer members, let me suggest that this isn't a good way to be doing the "selling" part of our craft.  Don't sell when supply is high.

16 hours ago, Val-E said:

They were available again this week for RRP for a blip.  But, those of us that love the set have pretty stopped talking it up.  Why bother?  We don't need to sell the resellers on it.  Now that it's gone, it's either part of your portfolio or it's not. 

• Like 1

I referred to slow moving in terms of sales via normal channels while still available. As others have mentioned before, SH is one of a few exclusives that always seem to be the last to sell out in shops here. In the US there was that issue about it being TOOS for a while last year from SAH but here it has always been readily available.

8 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

But, those of us that love the set have pretty stopped talking it up.  Why bother?  We don't need to sell the resellers on it.  Now that it's gone, it's either part of your portfolio or it's not. 

When has that ever stopped anyone before from bragging about what a smart move they made? ;)

On 2/29/2016 at 2:57 PM, emazers said:

The Thing that gets me all the people who say a set will be a dud and will not get any, but as soon as the set is getting ready to retire thats when at least 50% of the ones who said they weren't getting any really start to panic and scramble to get some, its just the way it is. If you can afford it at least get a few of each of them.

IIRC there was the same dislike about The Tumbler. Now look it's already on the rise... That set was hoarded by many of us like no tomorrow.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 8:01 PM, bricketycricket said:

Have you got a source for this or are you just making stuff up? The minifigs sold very well, to my knowledge, but there's no aftermarket for them because Lego produced so many of them. 

Well, Simpsons series 1 CMF hit a little over $300 per case on eBay early last year.  Not great if you bought the cases at MSRP, but it's easy to get them cheaper than that.  We'll see about the Simpsons House and Kwik E Mart.  You really can't tell anything pre-retirement.  You just have to guess.  I definitely see more risk in Simpsons than something like Slave I, but when every reseller makes the same decision to skip a set, you can end up with something like Sea Cow doing very well.  If everyone but emazers and myself skips the Simpsons exclusives, we should do nicely...

• 6 months later...
30 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

...and disappear by 2019

I'd say 2022.  Selling simpsons minifigures has been brutally demoralizing towards having any high hopes for further Simpsons investments in other lego forms.  I can't even come to buy the Simpsons house. Not even one..  I'd rather just spend my money on something else.  When it comes down to Pet Shop or Simpsons House, i'd still go with Pet Shop...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Guest TabbyBoy
On 08/09/2016 at 11:15 PM, fossilrock said:

I'd say 2022.  Selling simpsons minifigures has been brutally demoralizing towards having any high hopes for further Simpsons investments in other lego forms.  I can't even come to buy the Simpsons house. Not even one..  I'd rather just spend my money on something else.  When it comes down to Pet Shop or Simpsons House, i'd still go with Pet Shop...

Same here, I'd dump my factory box of 2 Simpsons Houses right now if I could clear £300 after fees (£60 loss) - I even emailed LEGO to return them at a loss and they refused! It's just that the British have a miniscule Simpsons fanbase. I can't see it being rare for years as sales are poor and hence, a lot of stock to shift at RRP or less. I still think that the Pet Shop will be a resounding success as it doesn't appear to be as hoarded as the others.

The Ferris Wheel looks cool though and I will get one but, I do think it's expensive for what it is.

Just now, TabbyBoy said:

Same here, I'd dump my factory box of 2 Simpsons Houses right now if I could clear £300 after fees (£60 loss) - I even emailed LEGO to return them at a loss and they refused! It's just that the British have a miniscule Simpsons fanbase. I can't see it being rare for years as sales are poor and hence, a lot of stock to shift at RRP or less. I still think that the Pet Shop will be a resounding success as it doesn't appear to be as hoarded as the others.

The Ferris Wheel looks cool though and I will get one but, I do think it's expensive for what it is.

The simpsons house is £189.99 if you sold it for £300 that's a roaring success not a £60 loss...

ohh Sorry you meant 2 my bad!