71006 - The Simpsons House

Jeff Mack

The Simpsons House  

549 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about The Simpsons House?

• Love it!
    • Could be better.
    • Hate it.
    • Don't care either way.
  2. 2. How do you feel about investment potential?

• It's a winner!
    • It's okay.
    • It stinks.
  3. 3. Are you interested to see more sets for The Simpsons?

• Yes, please!
    • No, thank you.
    • Couldn't care less.

5 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

ok, this could be one of the cases of "genuine misunderstanding" when both parties have something specific on mind (and in the context expect the other party to have the same thing on mind).. while they are both talking about different things.

as for the importance of BP index, like it or not.. many people just based their selling / buying prices on this index. Therefore I wanted to know why it shows different value for ebay UK market than I could dig out.

You're probably right. Don't take too much notice of me. It's all good :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crayxlp said:

Thanks so much for this input.. I dont know how to say it, but after 12 years of being on eBay every day I HAVE NEVER thought of this function.. anyways.. I used your suggestion for listings on ebay.co.uk only NEW (these were not just items located in UK, but also in Germany, France, Australia.. etc.. - simply because they got listed on ebay.co.uk).. below are all the sold sets within Dec 1-31, 2017 in GBP.. those with "x" are listed on ebay with a sold price in green bold letters - but crossed. (presumably Best Offer?).

200, 238x, 196, 215, 189, 250, 250, 227, 255, 230, 230, 250, 395, 200, 195, 210, 210, 215, 253, 205, 160, 220, 220, 200x, 154, 229x, 150, 230, 100x, 219x

total sold: 30 sets (listed on ebay UK)
math avg: 6495 / 30 = 216.50 GP
median: 200.00 GP

Brickpicker for UK shows (as of December 18, 2017) that the "average" NEW price for 71006 shows a figure 141.84 GBP.. now that is really OFF! .. 

Let me offer some hypothetical example when I consider "all X-sets" (best offers probably) as sold at value 100 GBP.. we get to the total of 6009 GBP (avg = 200.30 GBP, median = 197 GBP)

so.. I would really love to hear some explanation based on hard facts how is it that BP lists this (based on more than 30 sets sold on ebay.co.uk) in NOVEMBER 2017 as avg price 141.84.. what am I missing.. ? The BP prices (according to the info on the website are based only and solely on ebay sold sets)

I see what you are trying to do here. My humble opinion then. The BP price could simply be outdated and off. Or it could be based on sets sold by UK sellers only.  Did you try to update your search based on that? What would be the new average?

Either way BP Admins are aware that the BP price could be off and are asking to us (members/users) to let them know if indeed that is the case for any given set in any given market.

I already replied he is trying to compare apples with bananas as sales data updated in November will be lower than at the end of December due to supply drying up after first retirement and due to Xmas demand. A quick look shows NO SALES above 200 quid prior to 29th November. After that, things got interesting.

Why would people pay more than RRP for a set at a time when they could easily find it at SAH or in TRU?

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

I already replied he is trying to compare apples with bananas as sales data updated in November will be lower than at the end of December due to supply drying up after first retirement and due to Xmas demand. A quick look shows NO SALES above 200 quid prior to 29th November. After that, things got interesting.

Why would people pay more than RRP for a set at a time when they could easily find it at SAH or in TRU?

maybe the same reason why they paid 3x that much for Women of NASA on Amazon - when they could easily purchase it in the official LEGO e-shop for 1/3 of a price.. 

Edited by crayxlp
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

That would make it £130... you hated this set and was selling for £150 cash a few weeks ago!?!! After tax I consider that a loss!? Not great business?! Maybe you should have held out for £250!? ;o)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Tax on £20 profit is £8 for me so no loss. Now that prices are heading to £200, I would buy at £130. I have RRP receipts so technically it's a loss as far as HMRC are concerned. Also it's a cash sale. Shhhh...  ;-)

so these are the current sales of NEW, SEALED set on ebay.co.uk from the January 1:

January 8, 231 GBP (bidding)
January 7, 260 GBP (buy now)
January 6, 260 GBP (buy now - crossed, probably best offer)
January 6, 249 GBP (buy now)
January 6, 259 GBP (buy now)
January 4, 250 GBP (buy now)
January 3, 225 GBP (buy now)
January 2. 241 GBP (bidding)

• Thanks 1

Guest TabbyBoy
12 hours ago, crayxlp said:

so these are the current sales of NEW, SEALED set on ebay.co.uk from the January 1:

January 8, 231 GBP (bidding)
January 7, 260 GBP (buy now)
January 6, 260 GBP (buy now - crossed, probably best offer)
January 6, 249 GBP (buy now)
January 6, 259 GBP (buy now)
January 4, 250 GBP (buy now)
January 3, 225 GBP (buy now)
January 2. 241 GBP (bidding)

Hmmm.... mine's cheaper and not a sniff! ;-(

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, Val-E said:

If you don´t accept paypal.....

Of course I do otherwise nothing would sell ;-)

BTW... it's resurrected again for the 4th time so prices will start to drop. I'm just about to end my listing and will relist again in 3 months if stays retired the next time.

KEM is available now!

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Val-E said:

It´s out of stock again, only reseller scum would have had time to order. I´d stick with the listing and see what happens. Are you getting views?

I've ended it now. I had over 200 views and about 25 watchers. I'll relist at Easter if it's retired by then. I now have a feeling that it's around for at least another year. I can't risk a return as I'm a business seller and HAVE to accept returns under UK law.

Guest TabbyBoy
9 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It´s out of stock again, only reseller scum would have had time to order. I´d stick with the listing and see what happens. Are you getting views?

I've ended it now. I had over 200 views and about 25 watchers. I'll relist at Easter if it's retired by then. I now have a feeling that it's around for at least another year. I can't risk a return as I'm a business seller and HAVE to accept returns under UK law.

BTW... Dozens of sets moved from RETIRED to TOOS today. I've now unlisted my MFs too ;-(

9 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I believe any online shop must accept returns in 14 days under EU law (cooling off period) whether they accept them  on ebay or not. 99% off people won´t know about it and just accept no returns means no returns.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

If you bought a good or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and with no justification.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Val-E said:

I believe any online shop must accept returns in 14 days under EU law (cooling off period) whether they accept them  on ebay or not. 99% off people won´t know about it and just accept no returns means no returns.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

eBay's "Returns not accepted" option is disabled for business sellers using BIN. I was a private seller, but I had to downgrade to a business seller or all my accounts would be closed, I had no choice. By selling thousands of items a year, (not just LEGO) there's no way I could be a private seller, right? eBay is really cracking down, it's just a matter of time before other seller's private accounts have to be changed and/or a letter is sent from HMRC. Just as well that most of my sales are local offline.

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

eBay's "Returns not accepted" option is disabled for business sellers using BIN. I was a private seller, but I had to downgrade to a business seller or all my accounts would be closed, I had no choice. By selling thousands of items a year, (not just LEGO) there's no way I could be a private seller, right? eBay is really cracking down, it's just a matter of time before other seller's private accounts have to be changed and/or a letter is sent from HMRC. Just as well that most of my sales are local offline.

To be fair, HMRC doesn't care what kind of seller you are registered as on eBay it still has to be declared. 

Guest TabbyBoy
12 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

To be fair, HMRC doesn't care what kind of seller you are registered as on eBay it still has to be declared. 

Correct... HMRC don't care, it's eBay that cares! All because they want a 10.8% FVF from Business Sellers instead of 10% FVF (or £1 FVF) from Private Sellers. I could register my LEGO business for VAT to bring the FVF down to 9%, but I'm already bogged down with enough quaterly returns for other stuff. I only had my new eBay account open for 6 months and I was again forced to become a Business Seller - I'd only sold 1863 items during that time.

Even if one set is sold with the intention of making a profit, HMRC need to take their cut. Would't it be nice if eBay simply charged a 20% FVF and HMRC ignored non-VAT sellers? After all, the money that a buyer uses to buy an item is what they have left AFTER paying tax.

The reason...? GREED !!!

Sorry... let's get back on course ;-)

Edited by TabbyBoy

16 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Correct... HMRC don't care, it's eBay that cares! All because they want a 10.8% FVF from Business Sellers instead of 10% FVF (or £1 FVF) from Private Sellers. I could register my LEGO business for VAT to bring the FVF down to 9%, but I'm already bogged down with enough quaterly returns for other stuff. I only had my new eBay account open for 6 months and I was again forced to become a Business Seller - I'd only sold 1863 items during that time.

Even if one set is sold with the intention of making a profit, HMRC need to take their cut. Would't it be nice if eBay simply charged a 20% FVF and HMRC ignored non-VAT sellers? After all, the money that a buyer uses to buy an item is what they have left AFTER paying tax.

The reason...? GREED !!!

Sorry... let's get back on course ;-)

I believe that as of the next tax year, a hobby businessperson can make up to £1000 profit before having to pay tax on it, even if they already earn well over the thresholds with their primary employment. I'd need to double-check the specifics.

Guest TabbyBoy
38 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

I believe that as of the next tax year, a hobby businessperson can make up to £1000 profit before having to pay tax on it, even if they already earn well over the thresholds with their primary employment. I'd need to double-check the specifics.

Our government is up and down over this so I'd tread carefully for now.

This is what I see currently:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income#trading-allce

I did read somewhere that it was being revoked again.

It doesn't make a lot of difference for those that are pulling in several grand a month. If those people haven't declared by now, prepare to be caught and lose everything, even your freedom!

14 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Our government is up and down over this so I'd tread carefully for now.

This is what I see currently:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income#trading-allce

I did read somewhere that it was being revoked again.

It doesn't make a lot of difference for those that are pulling in several grand a month. If those people haven't declared by now, prepare to be caught and lose everything, even your freedom!

I'm certainly not pulling in several grand a month. That would be a nice problem to have!