What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 3 years later...
Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, Cheese said:

The Star Wars UCS and D2C ship has well and truly sailed.  I'm in similar position.  Got rid of most of my sets and somehow managed to get out with some profit.  Just have 3 Tower Bridges and a 1 Slave one to get rid of. Also have a TH, GE, Ferris Wheel; a Helicarrier and a GBHQ to get rid of, but they were originally bought for personal build.  Thereafter, I will have got rid  of all of the large sets.  Just small sets from now on.

Same here, I mentioned UCS being dead a long time ago. I too prefer smaller sets as easy to ship and less chance of being scammed. Prepare for a loss with Tower Bridge it’s been very available for far too long. I lost between 5-10% on mine and no regrets. The Helicarrier, what a dud!

Guest TabbyBoy

Over the last week...

100x 71238 Dalek/Cyberman Dimensions packs for £400 cash.

1x 41999 Limited Edition Crawler for £350 cash

1x 21104 Mars Rover for £125 cash

2x 21101 Hayabusa for £250 cash

3x 21109 Exo Suit for £100 cash (Yay, another profit on these!)

7 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Over the last week...

100x 71238 Dalek/Cyberman Dimensions packs for £400 cash.

1x 41999 Limited Edition Crawler for £350 cash

1x 21104 Mars Rover for £125 cash

2x 21101 Hayabusa for £250 cash

3x 21109 Exo Suit for £100 cash (Yay, another profit on these!)

I would have been happy to take your Cyberman sets.

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, roxio said:

Been doing well on some of the dimensions team and level packs. Most were available at some point for between £5-£7.50, now getting around £30 notably on dr who and potter

Ditto... I just kept on ordering and I'll now bundle the rest with my 21304 Doctor Who sets. Smyths in Farnborough had a few assorted in a bargain basket this afternoon for £1 each so I simply asked if I could buy the lot... I did! ?

On 3/20/2019 at 11:11 AM, roxio said:

Been doing well on some of the dimensions team and level packs. Most were available at some point for between £5-£7.50, now getting around £30 notably on dr who and potter

How is everyone packaging them?

They're a bit of an awkward size due to the big flap that sticks out at the top.

2 minutes ago, Tarka said:

How is everyone packaging them?

They're a bit of an awkward size due to the big flap that sticks out at the top.

Selling in 2's helps as they go together like 2 carded action figures. Then just in a small shallow box like any other small Lego set

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

I simply use a small box that HP laptop power adapters come in. They're plain, very strong, are about 250x150x75mm and are perfect when using a little bubble-wrap to fill the gaps. I even part out some and just post the figures in an A6 padded envelope for lower postage costs. More people seem to want them for figures than for the game.

Smyths has really come up trumps for these little sets.

Please critique this transaction (which on face values seems pretty good) from start to shipped as I want to learn and improve:

CL transaction, picked up 3 built modulars (Palace Cinema, Detective Office, & Old Fishing Store (not technically a modular, I know)) for $75 ea. ($225 total)

Condition: minor dust but like new and complete w/ booklets and original boxes in excellent condition.

After storing it for 2 months (not sure what i wanted to do) I Priced on ebay $199, $210, $220 all shipped

One buyer (100% rating) wants all 3 for $600 shipped...I looked into shipping (coast to coast) and negotiated $610 (He does not want the original boxes).

Spent 3 hours breaking down and bagging the sets and packing.

Packaged re-use large-size bubble wrap and fixed price Priority Mail Large boxes ($17.50 ea); before you cringe at the priority mail boxes...since weight was not an issue I used a 2nd priority box to reinforce the box so all sides essentially double walled. Taped up like a franchise running-back's ankles

So here's the math:

$610 - fees = $549

$549 - shipping ($53) = $496

$496 - buy-in ($225) = $271

So profit of about $271 or 120%

Did I miss anything and what could I have done better?

Also when faced w/ the facts above would you consider it a good transaction?

Thanks in advance 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Please critique this transaction (which on face values seems pretty good) from start to shipped as I want to learn and improve:

CL transaction, picked up 3 built modulars (Palace Cinema, Detective Office, & Old Fishing Store (not technically a modular, I know)) for $75 ea. ($225 total)

Condition: minor dust but like new and complete w/ booklets and original boxes in excellent condition.

After storing it for 2 months (not sure what i wanted to do) I Priced on ebay $199, $210, $220 all shipped

One buyer (100% rating) wants all 3 for $600 shipped...I looked into shipping (coast to coast) and negotiated $610 (He does not want the original boxes).

Spent 3 hours breaking down and bagging the sets and packing.

Packaged re-use large-size bubble wrap and fixed price Priority Mail Large boxes ($17.50 ea); before you cringe at the priority mail boxes...since weight was not an issue I used a 2nd priority box to reinforce the box so all sides essentially double walled. Taped up like a franchise running-back's ankles

So here's the math:

$610 - fees = $549

$549 - shipping ($53) = $496

$496 - buy-in ($225) = $271

So profit of about $271 or 120%

Did I miss anything and what could I have done better?

Also when faced w/ the facts above would you consider it a good transaction?

Thanks in advance 

Are you factoring in PayPal Fees? Rough, rough percentage on PayPal is 3.13% of total sale - PayPal normally makes this a tad more. Unless you didn't use PayPal? 

That would knock down $19.03 from your profit. Still a nice profit though!

• Like 1

Since you're looking for suggestions,  $53 shipping on 3 sets to the same location seems extreme. All the sets, less boxes, would have fit into one box.  A non-USPS Priority box, but larger.   Even across the country, these sets all in one box should have been $30 max.

By shipping each one separately and via Priority, you spent a lot more. 

A tough part of selling is the whole packing and shipping process. There is a lot of $ to be saved or lost. 

Edited by rpaulson7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rpaulson7 said:

Since you're looking for suggestions,  $53 shipping on 3 sets to the same location seems extreme. All the sets, less boxes, would have fit into one box.  A non-USPS Priority box, but larger.   Even across the country, these sets all in one box should have been $30 max.

A tough part of selling is the whole packing and shipping process. There is a lot of $ to be saved or lost. 

I tried using the ebay pricer of a home depot-like box w/ the Bricklink based total weight of the sets and it came to approx. $60

18 minutes ago, yukmeez said:

Are you factoring in PayPal Fees? Rough, rough percentage on PayPal is 3.13% of total sale - PayPal normally makes this a tad more. Unless you didn't use PayPal? 

That would knock down $19.03 from your profit. Still a nice profit though!

forgot paypal fees...so that's a correction

4 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

also, I get "free" insurance $50x3 leveraging risk by doing 3 separate boxes...not a diiference maker but a consideration

Did you pack them up into one box, weigh it, get the dims, and get an estimate on usps.com?  I've sent some really big boxes of Lego and never approached $53 for one. 

I don't know about other sellers, but I NEVER get insurance unless the buyer is paying. 

You wanted feedback, so there it is. 

20 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

Did you pack them up into one box, weigh it, get the dims, and get an estimate on usps.com?  I've sent some really big boxes of Lego and never approached $53 for one. 

I don't know about other sellers, but I NEVER get insurance unless the buyer is paying. 

You wanted feedback, so there it is. 

I appreciate the feedback...based on your replies I think I did something wrong when estimating the cost as 1 box.  thanks 

48 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

also, I get "free" insurance $50x3 leveraging risk by doing 3 separate boxes...not a diiference maker but a consideration

Just for learning purposes go thru the steps as if you had to make an insurance claim and what about tax the kind you have to pay.  

1 Lego Architecture The White House 21006, FB Marketplace:  $105, buy-in $35.77

1 LEGO Movie Brickheadz 41635 - Wyldstyle: $79 shipped, buy-in $15.90  (My First TLM2 Brickheadz sale...trying to decide what to do with the rest of them.  Sell in sets?  Hold longer?  Sell my extra Emmets/Wyldstyles as a pair? New territory here.)

• Like 1