4184 - The Black Pearl

sgoldham

Guest TabbyBoy
25 minutes ago, WannabePlatypus said:

I have prepared my used but complete black pearl. Should I sell it now? The prices are pretty high, around $300 for a used one or wait until the movie comes out in a month?

Just think about what these 3 scenarios:

1. The 4184 price has already peaked and may not rise further.
  2. Competitors may flood the market with their mint sets as soon as new the movie comes out and easily undercut you.
  3. LEGO could re-release 4184 with a new 5 digit code - they've done this before with other sets. (they still have the licence so why not?)

If I were you, I'd take the profit now and run. How gutted would you be if it was re-released after the new movie and you lost everything you gained on this set?

Greed used to be good in this game, not anymore ;-)

1 hour ago, WannabePlatypus said:

I have prepared my used but complete black pearl. Should I sell it now? The prices are pretty high, around $300 for a used one or wait until the movie comes out in a month?

Personlly, I'm listing my QARs and BPs 1-2 weeks before the movie's opening or right when reviews start leaking,

I wouldn't worrying about many folks flooding the market with more new listings than usual.  The set retired in Dec. 2012.  NISB sets have been bought / flipped and built or resold for over 4 years now  If anything, we might see a jump in the # of used sets BP listed but I wouldn't worry about that either as demand should be greater than supply.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, bricksnstocks said:

Anyone has a good idea how to flatten old sails? I recent got a lot with some parts from a Queen Anne's and want to bricklink the rest but the sails are all curled up. Thanks

Is it just curled up or creased? 

If curled, put in-between pages of a heavy book. 

Note: for my 10196 GC's sails, I ironed them while under a sheet folded twice over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bricksnstocks said:

Anyone has a good idea how to flatten old sails? I recent got a lot with some parts from a Queen Anne's and want to bricklink the rest but the sails are all curled up. Thanks

I ironed mine on the used set I bought.  I didn't worry about ruining them since they were in pretty bad shape.  I washed them with soap and water and rinsed them off and then ironed them.  They look fine now.

Edited by fuzzy_bricks
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
The prices for this set are truly crazy. Had no trouble selling a used copy for £250. It's not a bad set, but having built one I really don't see why they are quite so coveted.

That’s my point- there’s something truly amazing about this set’s performance that I just can’t fathom. Very nice set. Crazy prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

32 minutes ago, superlegolover said:

so I take it as no black pearl in the raffle?

No (MAYBE)...and this is exactly why.  Many people really don't know what the value is and to me, I want people to be WOW'd by the prizes.  What's the best way to do this...piece count and set size.  The Black Pearl is a nice set and I have a few for sure, but to me, it would only entice the few who know their stuff.  As I have stated before, I will cater to the winners of the raffle.  If someone wants to negotiate a different prize after they win, I am willing to listen.