4184 - The Black Pearl

sgoldham

Hopefully it is still there when I go back. I got spoiled last weekend when I was at a flea market and I got 2 new Black Pearls for $70 each; my point of reference is out-of-whack.

Thanks again all.

Good luck. Next time remember to buy it first.

If you feel that it is not that good deal later, simply return it.

I missed two imperial shuttle at Toys R Us 3 days ago and it was gone when I went back yesterday...

I was at my local Walley World and in the clearance isle there was a lone POC Black Pearl. I went to a price checker and BUMMER--it was still full price.

First question is how many of you would buy it at full retail if you saw it on the shelf? Second question is does it make sense to anybody that an item that no longer is normally stocked and in the clearance isle is full price? Where I'm going with this is has anybody had this happen and talk to a manager to get it changed to clearance pricing.

Muchas gracias in advance and buenos nachos.

Not poking fun at others here but: buy buy buy!!!! If worst came to worst, you could keep your receipt and return it for a full refund later. Or send them to me and I'll buy them off of you for $100 :) BTW those good nachos are making me hungy.

• 1 month later...

I have a chance to get a MISB 4184 Black Pearl for around retail. I know ships generally do well after they go EOL. Would this be a wise move considering how bad the other POTC sets have done?

Yup, buy it. It is already $50 or so over retail on eBay and it will go much higher.

The queen anne's revenge and black pearl should not be lumped with the rest of the POTC sets, they are ships and are already proving to be amazing performers, I would ****** them up in a heartbeat. You could probably sell them as early as next Christmas for a decent profit but I'd wait at least until the next movie comes out.

The queen anne's revenge and black pearl should not be lumped with the rest of the POTC sets, they are ships and are already proving to be amazing performers, I would ****** them up in a heartbeat. You could probably sell them as early as next Christmas for a decent profit but I'd wait at least until the next movie comes out.

Yep these 2 ships are on a whole different level from the other POTC theme sets. The next movie could boost values even more! I do wonder though if we could see these 2 ships re-released when the next movie comes out?

Yep these 2 ships are on a whole different level from the other POTC theme sets. The next movie could boost values even more! I do wonder though if we could see these 2 ships re-released when the next movie comes out?

I would be suprised to see the QAR re-released. If Lego retain the licence, then the Black Pearl will surely being remade.

That being said, if the POTC brand didn't do well, they might not make anymore at all and redo their own Pirate licence.

I would be suprised to see the QAR re-released. If Lego retain the licence, then the Black Pearl will surely being remade.

That being said, if the POTC brand didn't do well, they might not make anymore at all and redo their own Pirate licence.

True

I would be surprised to see any lego pirates on the shelves for a long time, Lego released pirates from 1989 to 1997, they had a brief come-back in 2001 but didn't do well, then they brought them back in 2009 and they did so poorly they went eol after only 6 months. Then POTC happened and not even the movies could spark life back into the theme, although in my opinion, they were really too late to jump into things as the time to release them would have been after the first movie.

Don't get me wrong, pirates have always been my favorite theme of all time and I wish it was refreshed each year like City but I don't see the current youngsters going back to Pirates (or even wild west) in the middle of the Asian influenced craze right now. Their best bet would be to keep coming up with new ways to keep that alive, I hate saying this since I never had the least bit of interest in Ninjago or Chima myself but they seem to be carrying the company along right now along with City and SW.

I looked to see if there was a post regarding this set, but I couldn't find one. So someone can move this post over if it exists.

What do you think the ceiling is for this set? Should we expect $200+ around Christmas time?

I can see it hitting $200 by XMAS with little difficulty. Where does it go from there, I look at the 10210 Imperial Flagship as the ceiling for this type of set. So maybe $250-$270 as a max.

I looked to see if there was a post regarding this set, but I couldn't find one. So someone can move this post over if it exists.

What do you think the ceiling is for this set? Should we expect $200+ around Christmas time?

I could definitely see this set fetching $200 by Christmas! As Ed said its ceiling will probably be around the $250 range. Time will tell.....

I know I'm not Ed, but I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth. I think the Imperial Flagship value increase has slowed down a little bit over the past couple months, even though it continues to slowly creep up in price each month. I think it will be selling in the $340-360 range this coming Christmas. Just my 2 cents.....

I know I'm not Ed, but I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth. I think the Imperial Flagship value increase has slowed down a little bit over the past couple months, even though it continues to slowly creep up in price each month. I think it will be selling in the $340-360 range this coming Christmas. Just my 2 cents.....

I have a used one in mint condition with a few extra cannons and a boat, that I just purchased for $200. Do you think I should sell now or wait til Christmas?

All depends on how bad you need the money. You might be able to fetch a little more for it later this year, but if you sold right now I don't think you'd lose money. You should be able to break even or make a small profit. Why not build it? Buying this set for $200 to flip is a little risky but I think you can still make a few bucks.