My Amazon WH experience

Bold-Arrow

Since there has been plenty of questions lately about the Amazon WH deals, I decided to post pictures of some of the set I bought from them, hopefully that will help address some of the concerns out there. Note that this is my own experience and that YMMV. Always pay attention to the product description-however that doesn't always mean that that is what you will get-and never ever pay over MRSP unless the set has been long retired or something to that sort.

The Amazon WH price will depend mainly on :

1- The price of a new set that is listed on Amazon

2- The condition of the "used item

Tower of Orthanc : 150$ (taped end)

HH: 135$ (broken seals, complete)

post-28706-0-26391800-1389833292_thumb.j

post-28706-0-99780600-1389833322_thumb.j

post-28706-0-79297300-1389833378_thumb.j

post-28706-0-62003400-1389833404_thumb.j

Sealed bags. I never order if the description says bags are open..

My PC shut down, while I was uploading :

SSD : 315$ (taped bottom, I broke seals to verify contents)

HD : 95$ (Mint?!?!)

It makes sense especially if you don't pay taxes and want to use set for you own collection ( I don't care too much about box) or you can always list as contents verified -open box for a small discount

post-28706-0-81563900-1389834188_thumb.j

post-28706-0-76872500-1389834211_thumb.j

post-28706-0-11202800-1389834239_thumb.j

post-28706-0-39256500-1389834265_thumb.j

It's certainly YMMV despite their descriptions.  My Arkham and Orthanc arrived today.  Arkham not bad at all and was described as Very Good.  Orthnac not horrible, but nothing to write home about either--lots of wrinkles and the box has gotten soft b/c of all the wrinkles and creases---also two stickers right on the front, but the seals are still intact....also described as Very Good.

I've gone into the past on my troubles w/ a couple of HHs there.  I'll buy from there for building for personal collection b/c of the discount, but that's about it for me.

I wish my HH was complete! I want one to build. I got it for $145. But missing bags, and I had to return it. Got a Sonic Raiders for $48 because the kids wanted it. It was not officially sealed (amazon taped it). I opened it and verified the content. But the kids (5 and 7) said they did not really need it and asked me to return it. urggggh ...

Yeah you don't buy for big time investment unless the price is great because you just don't know what you will get. But for building, its perfect. And they allow returns if it is missing stuff, or open, etc. I think about 1 out of 20 I have to return.

Those HDs were just stupid. I bought like 10 and they were all MINT.

• Like 1

So, Bold-Arrow got my HH and hepcatpunk got my Arkham.  Oh well...

Back on topic, I'm using WH for my personal builds, although I know a few users have had success with WH fines for investment purposes.  I'm certainly not against that, and if I get lucky enough to have that happen, great.  But I'm not going to hold out hope for that necessarily.

Got a Dolphin Cruiser two weeks ago.  It was listed as "Used - Good" condition.  I figured I'd take a chance on it.

bXAV2xM.jpg

You can see the box is a bit beat up

SmQIHLs.jpg

And it was open.  Being that it was my first WH purchase, I was concerned.  But, all the stickers and instructions were there, and bags were sealed.  There are four big "loose" parts in the box, and they were all there as well.  Everything looks brand new on the inside, so I'm happy.

baxjg5x.jpg

I'm also building a winter village, and needing to get ahold of the older retired product.  Saw a Post Office pop up on WH, and couldn't pass it up.  Yes, it was twice as much as the MSRP, but it was also $30 cheaper than they are going for on eBay.  This one was listed as "Used - Like New".

uymTG1U.jpg?1

You can see there's some box wear, more than just normal "shelf wear."

kNCqrew.jpg

But other than the corner and a little creasing in the bag, the box was sealed, and I was happy with the purchase.

6vtwvZM.jpg

All in all, I've had good experiences so far, and I'm constantly on there looking for a couple of other items I want/need for my daughter's Friends collection, or my Halloween or Winter builds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone know how they set prices? I'm watching HH and it jumped from $180 (msrp) to $220 today.

The other day I got a 9492 for $28 which is way lower than other seller's prices.

Both sets are currently OOS by Amazon (obviously the tie is gone for good)

all prices are currently  set by third party sellers and they are free to price the way they choose to.

the 9492 for 28$ is a catch 

• 4 months later...

I've had mostly good experiences and great deals, but my last order, sheesh. I ordered a 10233 Horizon Express listed as very good. What I got was a obviously reused shipping box with the instructions and most of the bags just dumped in the shipping box. No original box, missing the large # 2 & 3 bags, the bag with the magnets and the 3 Orange train base pieces! So the moral is, don't trust what the description says.