Castle 2013

TheOrcKing

A few websites are just buzzing with this info!

LEGO Castle Returns in 2013? - The Brick Fan

It seems we may yet get five new, redesigned or re-released sets for the CASTLE theme!

Sheesh, just HOW many sets is LEGO planning on releasing next year?!

I'd rather have some new sets, unless those 'Legends' will be some good set designs.

Still, I'd prefer new & fresh, but what do you guys think?

haha, I just posted a thread about this right when you did! I'm trying to figure out which sets are the ones being re-released? I would like fresh new stuff honestly and not re-released stuff

Ah jeeze, right after I pressed the submit button, I saw yours right there next to mine.

Really didn't mean to steal your thunder there, Rich B.

Guess we both read the news feed and couldn't wait to post it, at about the same time no less!

How odd is that?! Well, bugger me.

Anywho, I agree with you one hundred percent. I'd rather have new set designs than remakes of older ones, unless they are really, really, REALLY good redesigns. (Maybe a "UCS" style or similiar take on a classic design. Something that would make it worthwhile and collectible, you know?)

Ah jeeze, right after I pressed the submit button, I saw yours right there next to mine.

Really didn't mean to steal your thunder there, Rich B.

Guess we both read the news feed and couldn't wait to post it, at about the same time no less!

How odd is that?! Well, bugger me.

Anywho, I agree with you one hundred percent. I'd rather have new set designs than remakes of older ones, unless they are really, really, REALLY good redesigns. (Maybe a "UCS" style or similiar take on a classic design. Something that would make it worthwhile and collectible, you know?)

Haha it's okay, great minds think alike ;) And yes I hope that TLG doesn't give us the exact re-release but it sounds like that could be the case, otherwise it probably wouldn't be a re-release right? I agree with you that a UCS type set or any type of large detailed castle set would be great, but this doesn't seem like the case if we are just getting re-releases. Do you know which 5 current Castle sets will be getting re-released?

Do you know which 5 current Castle sets will be getting re-released?

Not a clue, I can only guess at this point. At the least, I don't think LEGO would release something from only a couple of years ago. Best bet would be to look at what LEGO has released under the "Legends" category.

Here's a list of sets rereleased under the "Legends" category.

Black Falcon's Fortress (set 10039)

Guarded Inn (set 10000)

Black Seas Barracuda (set 10040)

U.S.S. Constellation (set 10021)

Main Street (set 10041)

Pizza To Go (set 10036)

Breezeway Cafe (set 10037)

Metroliner (set 10001)

Railroad Club Car (set 10002)

Umm, I think that's about it. Seriously, I can't think of anywhere else to look.

Well, we can scratch off those last seven since they're nowhere near CASTLE related.

The first two are a possibility since they've been re-released before, but that still leaves three more.

I don't think they would re-release very small sets, so that narrows it down a little more.

Maybe each set will represent certain periods of CASTLE themes.

Like a couple from the eightes, a couple from the nineties, then one to top it off from the early 2000's.

Or each one could be the different 'castles' LEGO has releashed throughout the years.

I think the best chance we have of figuring out what could be done is to present the question of,

"What was your favorite CASTLE set when you were a kid?" or "What are your top five CASTLE sets?"

Just trying to toss some ideas out there.

I see, yeah sets from different Castle eras would definitely be cool. Luckily I don't have too much castle stuff stashed away as I'm not sure I'd want to have sets that are being re-released and in turn lowering the values of some sets. But then again I wouldn't mind having a couple shelves in my basement full of EOL castle stuff as most all of it seems to have a great ROI, plus I'm a huge history geek, so you know I love anything from the Midieval Times!!

I would like to see some new designs, preferably large and impressive designs(for the adult builder), but there are many nostalgic sets I would love to see again in the Space and Castle themes. Regardless, these remakes will hurt the value of the older sets, at least temporarily.

Hopefully they do not re-make the King's Castle Siege. Wouldn't mind some detailed sets like the modulars.

Me too, on both points. I do not believe they will re-release a set that is barely five years old.

The overall consensus (that I am getting) is we all would love to see some nicely detailed builds.

Of which I whole heartedly agree with.

Regardless, these remakes will hurt the value of the older sets, at least temporarily.

The average person will go for these re-releases cause they're alot cheaper.

But serious collectors will go for 'the original' simply because it was 'the 1st'.

The real threat from these re-releases is the scams that can go with them. Someone will buy the 'new' one, then later on list it as 'an original'. They'll use images of the actual original set and word the listing as "rare, discontinued set from 1981!" or something similiar. Then sell it for an insane amount of cash, and leave some poor sucker in the breeze. It's happened before, unfortunately.

Since these re-releases are based purely on sales, the five sets we get next year could be ones that sold very well when they were available. I don't know where we can get that kind of info, but we could do a little number crunching by comparing the various CASTLE sets that currently have some of the highest values. It may not be much, but it's the best I can come up.

As for a random set idea, I'm putting some money on this one.

Forestmen's River Fortress

Could be more of wishful thinking and the fact that I would love to see a "UCS" style redesign for this,

but I have a good feeling on this one. It's just a nice set.

I think the most recent one LEGO may do is King Leo's Castle.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone on Eurobricks gave his "confirmation" that Kingdoms was being continued and that these sets were part of that. While I hope that is not the case since the last King's Castle is only a couple years old and I'm sitting on one, it will nice to have this line continued since I like it. It could be another faction. It doesn't make sense with the "Legends" line that this was originally given, but that could've been a mistake too. Whatever happens, I will buy them, I loved the castle theme when I was a kid

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I saw the new 2013 Castle sets at my local Toys R Us. Are these worth using the BOGO 50% off to do a quick flip for Ebay impulse buyers, or should I just wait like normal for a sale and EOL.

How high are the prices jacked up over retail?

I saw these last night as well. The smallest set w/ 4 minifigs was 12.99 and the Castle was 109.99...don't remember others. They're just alright IMO. Didn't see any reason to buy. I should add the TRU near me also had Creator Treehouse and Aviation Adventures, which both looked cool and 3 or 4 of the new Coast Guard sets which also looked really cool.

I saw these last night as well. The smallest set w/ 4 minifigs was 12.99 and the Castle was 109.99...don't remember others. They're just alright IMO. Didn't see any reason to buy.

I should add the TRU near me also had Creator Treehouse and Aviation Adventures, which both looked cool and 3 or 4 of the new Coast Guard sets which also looked really cool.

the 12.99 is a battle and is retail price the castle could be 99.99 but you'll have pletty of time to get them unless you want to flip them fast

I saw these last night as well. The smallest set w/ 4 minifigs was 12.99 and the Castle was 109.99...don't remember others. They're just alright IMO. Didn't see any reason to buy.

I should add the TRU near me also had Creator Treehouse and Aviation Adventures, which both looked cool and 3 or 4 of the new Coast Guard sets which also looked really cool.

My TRU had the same price on the Castle.