76005 - Spider-Man: Daily Bugle Showdown

dibole

• 11 months later...

Do you mean the Olivia's Tree House that I once found 3 of at Walmart for $6.50 each?  ;)

i found like 20 of them at a walmart on a whim because i decided to stop by this rural area and scan some stuff.  shocked when i saw the price and cant believe i only bought 10 of them =-D

Most of the time not great.  I feel like in most cases people want super hero sets for the mini figs.  The sets themselves aren't always great.  The Bugle is one of the few I like.  It's pretty iconic for Spider-Man.  It is on the small side but the price is good and is the only set as of now to have Nova, The Beetle and Jonah Jameson.  I'm not sure if it's the only set with Dr. Doom but if that were the case, that would be even better.  It might just be a different version that before.  Don't see them making another Jonah or Beetle anytime soon and Nova, he's a fan fav but don't see the rush to make a new one of him either.  

According to Brickset.com it just says "Dr. Doom"..in 1 set.  Usually if it's a variant, they would list something in detail about color variants. Now I don't know if he's in the new Fantastic Four movie or not, but I would assume they will make some FF sets and Dr. Doom variant would likely be in one regardless IMO.  

But yeah, I do like this set and the price point was good for an iconic set tied to Spider-Man.  It does have quite a lot of stickers involved I believe.  But I can overlook that for what it helps achieve.  

As for the Wolverine set, it's basically only for Deadpool at this point.  Wolverine now has a 2nd variant, as does Magneto which isn't many but the price shouldn't go up much, and I think it's dipped a little actually.  If you look at the price just for the chopper itself, it's not much.  If they make a new Deadpool at some point which I think they will, that set is dead.  

I generally stay away from most super-hero sets but there are a few I like a lot.  Just have to pick and choose which has the best value for mini figs, have they never been done before, and is it likely they will get a remake in the next few years.  

There are so many superman, batman and spider man figures it's crazy so their sets rely on sub figures for collectors who want em all.  

Edited by DenJ91

I think the Daily Bugle will do great.  It has 4 exclusive minifigures (at least for now) with Dr. Doom being the most recognizable then Nova and JJJ just behind him.  Beetle is more of a D-list character, but I think the Daily Bugle building will draw some interest.  It is a location featured prominently in the Marvel Universe (similar to The Daily Planet for DC) so the name recognition will help.  

I think it has great flip potential in nov/dec.  To me it seems just about gone.  The status on LEGO Shop at Home could go from "call to check" to "sold out".  It might just take a couple months for it to clear all shelves in stores but that gives plenty of time to appreciate before the holiday and with already good buy in price and at discounts, people should do really well.  I only have 2, I wish I had more.  

TRU is taking advantage of the shortage by charging $65.99 (I think) for it on their site.  

Edited by DenJ91

I think it has great flip potential in nov/dec.  To me it seems just about gone.  The status on LEGO S@H could go from "call to check" to "sold out".  It might just take a couple months for it to clear all shelves in stores but that gives plenty of time to appreciate before the holiday and with already good buy in price and at discounts, people should do really well.  I only have 2, I wish I had more.  

TRU is taking advantage of the shortage by charging $65.99 (I think) for it on their site.  

TRU has had it for $65.99 all of 2014 basically.  They had a blowout sale before Christmas for $35 each.  This set it pretty much non-existent in stores and TRU shouldn't have many left either.

• Like 1

If you can get Super Heroes sets for 35-50% off which is not very hard to do over the course of the year they make great reasonably priced lots especially if you just put them at retail.  The $10 savings on the little sets and $15-20 savings on the medium sized sets add up when you make a nice 2-4 set lot. 

So even if they don't go up a ton if you do it right you can make a nice profit on them and they are always popular.  

• Like 3

I like this set too, especially with all the minifigs. What concerns me is how long it's been out, the low price points people have been able to buy them at, and the well below retail prices they go for on Ebay. That being said, I will be picking some up today at a local store selling them for $37.

What concerns me is how long it's been out, the low price points people have been able to buy them at, and the well below retail prices they go for on Ebay. That being said, I will be picking some up today at a local store selling them for $37.

It's been out just over 2 years which is pretty typical.  I wouldn't worry about the low buy-in prices because those are now done and eBay value will get better with time.  This has just recently sold out and some are still in the wild so check back in 4Q to see how it's doing then.  If this was available from Shop at Home at a discount for weeks and weeks then I would be a little worried but the remaining stock sold out quickly and LEGO didn't even have to tag it as "retiring soon". 

• Like 2

I like this set too, especially with all the minifigs. What concerns me is how long it's been out, the low price points people have been able to buy them at, and the well below retail prices they go for on Ebay. That being said, I will be picking some up today at a local store selling them for $37.

don't worry! 

it was the same way with Harry Potter and PotC theme. Every set in the line was always 25% or more off. Lego and Walmart couldnt give freeing Dobby's away after christmas .that set got as low as $2.50 before it dissappeared from clearance shelf.. in March.. lol..

Black pearls and Hogwart Castles sat on shelfs for months (ney, years) collecting dust at 25% off the second year they were out. It wasn't until they were 40%- 50% off they started selling again.

same with Wolverines Chopper showdown, same with original Batman theme.

Daily Bugle showdown has a lot going for it in that it's pretty much the best Spider-man set there is and has several exclusive superheroes that won't get made again.

many here that deal in small box sets may likely lot it up with spider-cycle and net a quick $100 or so ($35-$50  profit) 4th quarter 2015.  toss in a good marvel now spidey book you picked up in the dollar bin at a comiccon, people will eat that up all day.

After all Rhino will need a Daily Bugle to smash!

• Like 2