What was your first AFOL set?

thombockerman

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Not sure which set was first but I basically went out and bought all the first wave Star Wars LEGO back in 1999. Haven't stopped since.

back then had a roommate that was collecting all the SW sets and I wasn't impressed with the designs so I paid no attention.  Kicking myself now

Guest davewager78

Camper van, 28 days ago. shortly followed by Tower Bridge. I think i'm out of my dark age now!

Waiting for a good condition used Sopwith Camel to arrive for my next build

10210-1, Imperial Flagship. I remember telling my wife at the time that I was thinking about buying a second one to hold and re-sell later because I was sure it would be a good investment. Oh how I wish I had spent that extra $180 back in 2010!

I came out of my dark ages earlier than that, buying castle sets for my kids as they grew old enough to enjoy Lego. But 10210-1 was the first set I bought as an adult solely for the joy of building, and also the one that first got me thinking about Lego investing.

Camper van, 28 days ago. shortly followed by Tower Bridge. I think i'm out of my dark age now!

Waiting for a good condition used Sopwith Camel to arrive for my next build

I would buy a new one, if you have VIP points. Or last year the EU amazons had them discounted. The eBay used price is not that far from what you will pay else where. Plus, you are guaranteed to get all the bits. :)

First set that got me back into it after a few years hiatus was the Millennium Falcon 7965 :D Saw it on Thinkgeek.com of all sites while browsing some Star Wars merch and just had to have it (really shows the power this set has). This re-sparked my interest and i dug out all my older sets and started displaying them and purchasing some more sets.

First investment was probably the Black Pearl 4184 (by accident). I had purchased 2 on clearance (one for myself and one for an x-mas gift), but i ended up not giving it away and it sat in my closet for a while. Couple years later i was moving and wanted to get rid of it, so i figured i'd try to cover my losses and sell it on ebay.... well i more than covered my cost selling it there haha, and it opened my eyes to investing!

• Like 1

9471 Uruk-Hai Army on clearance for $11 at kmart. I think it was summer 2012. The only reason I bought it was because it was LOTR and it was cheap as hell. I should have bought all 3 sets... I didn't realize that I would eventually want a ton of uruk-hai / riders of rohan.

10030 ISD brought me out of my dark ages.  Then I started collecting and building every SW set for a few years.  Then got married and had kids so went into a bit of mini dark ages until selling some of my used sets for well over retail got me into investing and then the new LotR range got me back collecting.

9493 X-wing Starfighter.  Even in my dark ages, I sometimes stepped into the Lego aisle to look at the Star Wars offerings, and always meant to buy a Lego version of the X-wing.  For whatever reason I never bought one.  Seems strange now, the dark ages are truly dark.  I never even thought to take a look at the other Lego offerings, I was truly disinterested at the time.  Well, for father's day 2012 my family got me the 9493, and building it with my kids officially took me out of the dark age.

The first set I truly bought for myself, and didn't get as a gift, is the 10210 Imperial Flagship.  A week after I built the X-wing, I rescued all of my childhood Lego from my parent's basement, and one of the jewels of that collection is my 1989 Black Seas Barracuda.  After seeing 10210 online, I knew I had to get it so that the BSB finally had a worthy foe!