9473 - The Mines of Moria

Just in case you haven't come across it yet, we have a big rule (more of a guideline) here... Buy What You Love. If you are a big fan of LotR, definitely buy those sets for $65. If I had them available to me at that price, I would buy them in a heartbeat. I just paid $74.25 each for 2 of the Goblin King sets. $65 is a great value on each of these, and the values will go up after retirement. This sounds like the kind of deal you will kick yourself later for missing.

My thoughts on those sets is not based on value or potential increase...but I guess if many people feel the same way I do then that could affect the value in the long term. I do like the brown pieces and the skulls used in the Goblin King but the thing that really bugs me about both of those sets is that they don't connect. Both sets are 2 or 3 smaller builds that form 1 larger one. If TLG would give us a baseplate that would tie the individual elements together into one cohesive unit I would like both of these sets 10X better. At least with the goblin king set you can place the individual elements next to each other in a way that makes it look like they connect as far as a display goes, even though they don't. MoM on the other hand just doesn't fit well together. It's almost as if the door and the back wall and the well could each be their own smaller set. At least they could have given us hinges or some kind of connection between the door and the wall. I am a huge LotR fan. Mines of Moria is my least favorite set from that wave of LotR sets, largely because of what is stated above. Hopefully for those who invested in these 2 sets the Macrofigs are enough of a factor to increase the price.

I am wondering if these first LOTR sets will be like the first Harry Potter or first Star Wars sets; the most valuable and the rarest. If the theme is deemed to be popular by TLG the next wave of sets may be more numerous and therefore less valuable. I think is what happened to Star Wars, the earliest larger sets are the most valuable. I just Star Wars 6206 & 6205 which are from 2006 and only just got over

As much as I like these two sets I do honk they are the weakest of their respective waves. I'm choosing to invest in Helms deep and unexpected gathering. I consider them to be iconic locations in the Tolkien universe and are also the most satisfying builds. IMO they are classics in the making....

• 2 weeks later...

The Amazon UK price is pretty darn sweet right now for Canadians. I picked up two for 81 pounds, which is about 127 dollars Canadian. With TRU selling these at $109 in Canada, a no-brainer for me. Other Canadians should jump on this! If I had ordered another, the cost per unit went down to $62 and change, but my wife would not be pleased.

Not sure of price to USA - maybe someone from the US can price check it for us - should still be a solid price, but maybe not quite as good as Amazon.com has been in the past.

For those wondering if the five pound promotional credit works for Canadians, the answer is YES! There must be something on amazon UK that tickles your fancy to grab this e-coupon. I got the emailed credit 1 day after my qualifying offer (over 30 pounds) shipped. I checked my account and it is there, ready to be used. Get this one!

This is $68.44 shipped to my U.S. address which isn't that good here. Just a day ago it was $59 on Amazon U.S.

Thanks for the US price update. Obviously this is a better deal for Canadians (cheaper shipping, I believe, as part of the Commonwealth), but with the five pounds off coupon, it would bring the price even in the US pretty close to $59.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the hot tip... got some!

No problems.

The salesperson knew what set I was talking about before I even said it, and the price. She said they had been peppered with calls, including some people asking for 20 which they refused. I ordered 4, I have like 10 of these which I have picked up cheap already and now the market will be flooded with them for a bit.

Ha ha. That is a pretty good deal even over here in the US.

Sometimes we are lucky to just find stunning deals. Generally my rule of thumb is to try get it at US price, whether that is through heavily discounted items here or from overseas markets including delivery. If I can get it at that (or 50% local) then I have done well.

I picked up 4 AT-OT sets at $142 I think it was, and a motorised AT-AT for about $100 (compared to their $399 and $250 RRPs here). Sometimes we have the odd stroke of luck.