Minifigure Collections & Displays

legoman12323123

Never seen that red Vader.  What is the story behind that figure?

Hey!

It is actually the helmet which is the rare part. It is a prototype helmet from the original run of the Darth Vader Figures. it is red so at the factory errors in the molding can be spotted and corrected. The rest of the figure is just pieced together from red arms, legs and cape which I found on eBay. I am trying to get a red light saber handle of anyone knows where to get one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Got some new parts to build myself another minifigure display shelf.  Will have to do some re-arranging tonight and put up all the ones I have in random other spots.

Hello,  can I ask how many white bricks you needed to build the steps? and how wide is the shelf?

I currently have mine on steps made out of blocks of wood,  but this looks so much better!

cheers

Hello,  can I ask how many white bricks you needed to build the steps? and how wide is the shelf?

I currently have mine on steps made out of blocks of wood,  but this looks so much better!

cheers

The bottom set is a lot more planned and even than the top one.  The top set was a combo of 2x4's 2x2s 2x3s and random plates and other bits I could scrape together.  The bottom shelf I measured and purchased the specific amount of bricks I needed.  

The overall length is 92 studs.  The plates that form each shelf ledge are 6x4s layed end on, so 23 per level (23 x 4 = 92 studs). 4 levels so 92 plates in total.  

The bricks are all 2x4s.  They lay across the plate level so that 1 stud is sticking out behind them and they take up 2, then 3 studs in front for the minifigs to sit on.  They are stacked 5 high on each level.  So 23 x 5 = 115.  Three levels use them so 3 x 115 = 345.  Plus a used a few extra ones as on each level a few on each end are turned sideways to achieve the offset to make them overlap like a brick wall.  

The top level is actually 1x2x5 bricks.  I used them as it was lighter, slightly cheaper, and on the top I didn't need 2 studs depth to accomodate another step on top.  The top of them is crowned with a layer of 1x8 tiles to keep the tall bricks in alignment.  Could use thin 1x? plates but I needed tiles as the studs from a plate made it just too tall to fit into the shelving unit.

There is also a bunch of bricks at the back on each end coming down from the top layer to the floor and attaching to each level.  This is needed for stability otherwise the whole thing topples backwards.  It's not pretty but it does the job, and you can use any random old bricks you have.

Hope that helps, let me know if it's not clear or you want more info/pics.

Edited by Grolim
  • Like 1

The bottom set is a lot more planned and even than the top one.  The top set was a combo of 2x4's 2x2s 2x3s and random plates and other bits I could scrape together.  The bottom shelf I measured and purchased the specific amount of bricks I needed.  

The overall length is 92 studs.  The plates that form each shelf ledge are 6x4s layed end on, so 23 per level (23 x 4 = 92 studs). 4 levels so 92 plates in total.  

The bricks are all 2x4s.  They lay across the plate level so that 1 stud is sticking out behind them and they take up 2, then 3 studs in front for the minifigs to sit on.  They are stacked 5 high on each level.  So 23 x 5 = 115.  Three levels use them so 3 x 115 = 345.  Plus a used a few extra ones as on each level a few on each end are turned sideways to achieve the offset to make them overlap like a brick wall.  

The top level is actually 1x2x5 bricks.  I used them as it was lighter, slightly cheaper, and on the top I didn't need 2 studs depth to accomodate another step on top.  The top of them is crowned with a layer of 1x8 tiles to keep the tall bricks in alignment.  Could use thin 1x? plates but I needed tiles as the studs from a plate made it just too tall to fit into the shelving unit.

There is also a bunch of bricks at the back on each end coming down from the top layer to the floor and attaching to each level.  This is needed for stability otherwise the whole thing topples backwards.  It's not pretty but it does the job, and you can use any random old bricks you have.

Hope that helps, let me know if it's not clear or you want more info/pics.

WOW thanks for that. I think that is an amazing build.   

I have just been on the Lego pick a brick site and to build that is close to £100 but it looks so good.

I might have to start collecting white 2x4s from ebay!!

Thanks again!

Edited by ALPenny
addition

• 9 months later...

brickdisplaycase-7.jpg

I really like this case from BrickDisplayCase.com.

You can do 8 figures with name tags in front, or you can add your own bricks in them to customize like above.

It's also wall-mountable.

Only problem is they are shipped from HongKong 

Anybody have other ideas/suggestions?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Very nice. I need to visit ikea. How are the slopes/bricks attached to the backing? 

Well, I decided to engage in heresy. They're attached using Gorilla Glue.  Let me tell you, that was a tricky operation since it EXPANDS.  You could use double sided tape or the Kragle if you wish. I have seen others use base plates to attach the individual pieces before as well.  However, LEGO doesn't seem to make 9" x 9" or 23 cm x 23 cm plates to get it to fit.  I wanted to opt for a clean white background just to make the colors pop more, which is more effective than a drab gray in my opinion.

I also improvised a bit with some of the pieces. I moved Ariel forward since her tail sticks back pretty far so this was the best way to get her to fit in. For Orca, he's actually standing on 2x2 clear pieces since his tail sticks far out. His nose is actually touching the glass.  For Vacation Batman, I have him sitting on (2) 1x1 clear plastic pieces which were greeble from various sets.  It was the best way for him to wear his flippers.

• Like 2

Thanks...  my son is now getting a crazy collection of star wars, LOTR/Hobbit, and CMF's mini's that range back about 5 years (we started this venture when he was 2)... and I'm at the point where I need to either build a display case, or get a properly built display.  But, i'd like to hang it on a wall, and have it encased in an acrylic glass (don't want glass with a young one) that can slide.  I'm thinking about building one, but have seen other examples like this..  Anyone out there attempt to build their own display case?  I'm wondering what's the optimal weight/size before things get too hefty.  Other than a few poly's we practically have the entire LOTR/Hobbit wave, and i'm thinking it's time to put them in a proper case.  Star Wars will be it's own animal, as well.

http://www.instructables.com/id/IKEA-LEGO-Minifig-Case/?ALLSTEPS

16 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Thanks...  my son is now getting a crazy collection of star wars, LOTR/Hobbit, and CMF's mini's that range back about 5 years (we started this venture when he was 2)... and I'm at the point where I need to either build a display case, or get a properly built display.  But, i'd like to hang it on a wall, and have it encased in an acrylic glass (don't want glass with a young one) that can slide.  I'm thinking about building one, but have seen other examples like this..  Anyone out there attempt to build their own display case?  I'm wondering what's the optimal weight/size before things get too hefty.  Other than a few poly's we practically have the entire LOTR/Hobbit wave, and i'm thinking it's time to put them in a proper case.  Star Wars will be it's own animal, as well.

http://www.instructables.com/id/IKEA-LEGO-Minifig-Case/?ALLSTEPS

I just hung this last night.  Handmade by myself and I love it.  It is made so that a 4 stud wide plates are sunk into each row.

new.jpg

Edited by LegoMan1212
better picture
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TANV said:

Well, I decided to engage in heresy. They're attached using Gorilla Glue.  Let me tell you, that was a tricky operation since it EXPANDS.  You could use double sided tape or the Kragle if you wish. I have seen others use base plates to attach the individual pieces before as well.  However, LEGO doesn't seem to make 9" x 9" or 23 cm x 23 cm plates to get it to fit.  I wanted to opt for a clean white background just to make the colors pop more, which is more effective than a drab gray in my opinion.

I also improvised a bit with some of the pieces. I moved Ariel forward since her tail sticks back pretty far so this was the best way to get her to fit in. For Orca, he's actually standing on 2x2 clear pieces since his tail sticks far out. His nose is actually touching the glass.  For Vacation Batman, I have him sitting on (2) 1x1 clear plastic pieces which were greeble from various sets.  It was the best way for him to wear his flippers.

So there is glass covering them?  Been looking for a new way of displaying my CMF's but want to fight dust so open displays are out.  These look nice and have great expand-ability and flexibility.  So I may just have to do this.  Thanks for posting the awesome work!

5 hours ago, vincevaughn said:

So there is glass covering them?  Been looking for a new way of displaying my CMF's but want to fight dust so open displays are out.  These look nice and have great expand-ability and flexibility.  So I may just have to do this.  Thanks for posting the awesome work!

Yep. It holds up pretty well. Plus, since it's all on one piece, I can remove the back of the frame to dust with air and what not.  If you have a large CMF collection, you can also ge tthe larger IKEA RIBBA frames that are 20" x 20" I believe. They're about $14.99 and are just as deep.  Just make sure you get the right RIBBA frames.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00078051/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80243542/