70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

I'm gonna go watch it again but I sure don't remember it being over 10 minutes.....also which important part of the film happens on the ship? I need to pay more attention.

SPOILER:

After the whole rainbow cloud city thing explodes into the ocean, it is here that the hero of the story realizes the things he has created are useful, though they had been laughed at before.  It is here, at this point, where the story changes direction and the climax of the main plot is revealed.  He had created that double couch, and people, even the old zen guy, said it was horrible and stupid.  Only when on the boat does everyone realize the hero's creations are valuable. 

The hero even gives the line that is something like "I am just a construction worker, but when I have a plan I can do great things.  You are all master builders.  Imagine if you all did that.  You could save the universe."

Later in the movie, as we see how the hero's ideas are used to save the different zones by broadcasting "your creations are valuable, even if you're an ordinary person.", the movie is pretty much over and the story done.  The theme of: You are special and the things you create are important, resonates throughout the end of the movie, and it was on that awesome boat where it was revealed.  

I teach literature and English, so I look for this stuff, even when I don't want to.

End Spoiler

So ya, on the boat, the spend a good 5 minutes going over what I was talking about before, and they have the whole Millennium Falcon scene for another 5 minutes or so.  The boat is also in the film a few minutes when they get to the rainbow cloud city thing.  It must come up at the end too, but it is a bit messy on screen with all the stuff going on.   It was hard to tell.

• Like 2

I think $250 is certainly up there in price, but at 2700 pieces, it is what it is.  Clearly TLG tinks they can get that kind of money.  I loved the movie and can relate to the story so well between my dad and me, and me and my son.  So, I have every set for my son, and this will totally be added.  Or maybe two of them.  I need to win a lottery.

• Like 1

Such crap as movie sets or chima will be on a dustbin of history.

Imo you're not a true Lego fan, the movie sets aren't crap, unlike the licensed themes this sets have the true essence of Lego, personally for me I'll take this sets over any licensed stuff anyday (not a fan, in my younger years there was no uncreative licensed stuff). As an investment is another story, but still I think that comparing these to Toy Story sets is not the best comparison at all.

• Like 2

The Lego Movie took the top spot at the box office again this weekend.  It is up to almost $130 million in box office sales.  Not quite summer blockbuster numbers, but pretty good fora  $60 million movie.

I am definitely getting 1 and will buy another when there is a good VIP promotion.  This franchise is just starting.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Lego Movie morphed into a TV series after the movies are done.  Lego has shown that they can keep the kids' interest with their marketing/toy/TV promotion.

I know for most people investing in this means buying 10, but think about all the other big sets it is competing with - Haunted House, any Modular, Tower Bridge, Orthanc, Ewok Village, and Simpson's House.  I will definitely put my big set investment money elsewhere.

My Lego Movie investment money will go into the smaller sets like Cloud Cuckoo (the only set I have multiples of) or Flying Flusher (I love the outhouse).  Like a lot of you, I can't wait for clearance on these.

The very reasons you`ve given why you dislike this ship are the very same reasons why I love it. There, I`ve said it,  I love this ship!  :thumbsup:

Also, I beg to differ on that point. The ship really is designed as a Steampunk creation, even though the Lego Movie really didn`t touch on that concept. I`m a huge fan of that concept, and even though I`ve seen the Lego Movie already, my interest was peaked when the very first image showed up online a month ago. My opinion would be that those who are not familiar with the Steampunk concept but saw the ship in the movie may be attracted to the very different/wacky style of build that this is. Steampunk is not everyones cup of tea, and when compared to other concepts, I`d say it is much more of a smaller niche. You either like it or you don`t. While it would make sense, as others have said, to be "on the fence" about that point, I`d still say it`s either a concept you like, or prefer something else. So no, I don`t think all of the popularity is resting on the Lego Movie. That goes for AFOLs. Absolutely it will drive sales to those who are not familiar, but it`s very much a unique ship and the price point will likely prevent it from becoming a huge hit. That doesn`t mean it`s not a good ship, I seriously love it, it`s most of what I`d want in a Lego Steampunk ship, and in some ways, more so. That`s me personally, but of course everyone has their own taste. Clearly you are not a Steampunk enthusiast, and I respect that, but to say that it is "just a stupid combination of bricks and colours" would not be a true statement to someone who is a fan, like myself. I don`t think the designers could have done much better with this, I`ll be buying one most likely during double VIP, because even though I love the ship, money still needs to be maximized. 

As far as investing goes, that I would agree with being on the fence about. If everyone was a Steampunk fan and enjoyed it, then I`d say it would be a shoe in as a large investment. Sadly, not very many are, and most kids, if not all, don`t even know what the concept is. That`s going to hurt demand. We`ll have to see what the market and popularity for this set is a year from now to better gage the ship for investment. 

The first thing i thought when I saw this set a while back was steampunk also.  I already have the Metalbeard duel set and building Metalbeard was one of the most fun Lego building experiences I've had--I love that model/figure/whatever with all it's steampunk vibe.  I think this set could be very popular with steampunk fans, and if Lego ever did a steampunk theme that could add to the desirability of this set.  As is I can already imagine having the Monster Fighters crew this thing--how cool would that look?

• Like 3

All of your logic is sound, except for the assertion that no one will remember it. 

I'm not saying that Emmet is the next Sheriff Woody, but the success of the movie up to this point puts it in rarified air. 

It's clear that many here have not paid close attention to the reviews and general response to this movie

The first thing i thought when I saw this set a while back was steampunk also.  I already have the Metalbeard duel set and building Metalbeard was one of the most fun Lego building experiences I've had--I love that model/figure/whatever with all it's steampunk vibe.  I think this set could be very popular with steampunk fans, and if Lego ever did a steampunk theme that could add to the desirability of this set.  As is I can already imagine having the Monster Fighters crew this thing--how cool would that look?

I hadn`t thought about that, but now that you mention it, I could see the potential crossover! Really neat idea, seriously  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the notice, $249 is the retail. I like some parts of it, but not sure it is as good of an investment as others at this price point.

Way too early to tell. At first glance it does appear to be the lesser investment set in comparison to the many others available, but time will tell us for sure. It`s only been available for the last couple hours, not even, and only to VIPs at the movement. Give it a year then take a look at investment  :thumbsup:

The problem with that is that who knows how long the movie sets will be available? What if lego retires them after the movie leaves theatres? I personally don't give any of these movies sets a long life. At some point they are gonna have to make Room for the sequel sets. I just really don't see these sets being available this time next year. There is no harm in stocking up on this theme now.

The problem with that is that who knows how long the movie sets will be available? What if lego retires them after the movie leaves theatres? I personally don't give any of these movies sets a long life. At some point they are gonna have to make Room for the sequel sets. I just really don't see these sets being available this time next year. There is no harm in stocking up on this theme now.

Good point. I guess the question then would be how long can we expect them to be available? 6 months, 1 year? The regular 2 year life span does seem a bit long now that I think about it, given the theme being based on the movie. How long will the hype last? The movie is off to a great start at the box office, and that just means a huge fan base. I wonder how many people will care about the sets after the hype from film eventually dies down? Sure a sequel will help with that, but even still. Guess the one firm thing the theme has going for it as a whole is that the sets are wicked awesome all around, and don`t necessarily have to be viewed in the context of TLM to be great/fun sets. 

This will probably be the biggest factor in the success of these sets post retirement. If they are only around for a year or so then disappear they will flourish on the secondary market. (IMO of course)

Imo you're not a true Lego fan, the movie sets aren't crap, unlike the licensed themes this sets have the true essence of Lego, personally for me I'll take this sets over any licensed stuff anyday (not a fan, in my younger years there was no uncreative licensed stuff). As an investment is another story, but still I think that comparing these to Toy Story sets is not the best comparison at all.

I am not a true fan, if I dont like this psycho movie sets? Sorry, but these movie sets are the biggest crap of last years... I can accept mutants like Chima or Ninjago, even If I dont like, because they are for children and children are keen on creatures etc. What I cannot understand is this Movie concept of psycho transformer sets WITHOUT ANY LOGIC. Robotic cowboys, flying ice cream cars, or flying fortress !!! OMG. This is absolutely out of logic.

What is the worst part of this Movie theme in my opinion is killing a big opportunity - we all are waiting and praying for many interesting themes, which TLG could transfer into the sets. We can understand, that TLG sometimes need a support from movies or franchises, in order to capitalize the popularity of certain themes. Typical situation was Lone Ranger - since popularity of western theme could be questionable among today children, TLG need help from a movie. When TLG produces licenced sets, they are very limited by original franchise, they cannot for example build big green pirate ship in POTC. BUT - now TLG had EVERYTHING in its hands - they could create ANY THEME, since they could involve any theme into the Lego Movie. For example antique theme - I am waiting a long time for sets from ancient greek and roman empire; also antique CMF minifigures are extremly popular. I cannot undestand why TLG has never used this concept - they could creat fantastic world with many creatures from greek mythology - this would satisfy children

• Like 1

I don't think the popularity of TLM will diminish so greatly that this set will be a flop for Lego.  It may not be a great "flip" but it looks like a great build.  I'm not one to buy and resell that much so to me this set looks fantastic. 

It's not designed to fit in with other ships and it really wouldn't look good next to the Imperial Flagship, but next to some other steampunk stuff like the plane from the Monster Fighter Train set, or some of the other TLM sets and it would look great.