Fees for Selling on Amazon

Young_Gun21

It ends up being close to 25% of the value in fees to use FBA. They take their 15% commision, then the shipping fee--you to them, them to the customer, storage fee, size fee, pick fee, fifi. If you sell there you do it under their terms, and their guarantee--which is 45 days return for any reason.  I am going back to ebay.

Toys: 15% of the item price. (Referral fee)

$1 per item fee (unless you are a subscribed merchant)

And the variable closing fee formula is 

Standard Domestic Expedited International

Non-media products

$0.45 + $0.05/lb.
$0.65 + $0.10/lb.

Which you can simplify by saying $1 per lego set in general.

So if you are selling YOURSELF, not using FBA - Your fees on a $100 item would be

$100 - $15 (15%)

$1 per item

$1 variable closing fee

= 17 in total fees or $83 return to you.

This is not counting shipping costs, of course.

If you are using FBA there are additional fees calculated by weight.

Here are the fees from a SMALL lego set (battle pack size) that I just sold for apx $36 via FBA. If you are not a subscriber, tack on $1 more for the variable closing fee. If you sell 40 items a month, you break even with the subscription, any more than that is money you've saved.

Amazon Referral Fee $5.38 Variable Closing Fee $0.00 FBA Fulfillment Fees $2.46 Total $7.84 1

I looked it up and they have referral fees, variable closing fees and a bunch of other crap. Could anyone simplify this and give the fees for selling lego on Amazon. Thanks.

The simple answer is that selling fees on Amazon are substantially higher than any other marketplace out there.  One of the issues that arises is that Amazon charges a set shipping fee for each item regardless of its destination so you can often find yourself receiving $4.99 for shipping for a package that will actually cost $25 to ship.

• Like 1

I have been thinking about using amazon FBA. Even though the fee is higher but there is no way I can ship as cheap as they do. What concerns me is their return policy. How do I know the item got back is still sealed and is in the condition I sent in?

With eBay, I do not accept returns. Just don't want to deal with it.

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking about using amazon FBA. Even though the fee is higher but there is no way I can ship as cheap as they do. What concerns me is their return policy. How do I know the item got back is still sealed and is in the condition I sent in?

With eBay, I do not accept returns. Just don't want to deal with it.

This is one of the HUGE problems with selling on Amazon. Keep in mind that Amazon sides with the buyer 99% of the time. When a customer selects their return reason as "defective", the item automatically goes under "unfulfillable", even if there is nothing wrong with it. They have no way of inspecting the item so you have to pay to get it back. Even if it is not an FBA item, a buyer can return an item for ANY reason. They can literally open a set, put it together, and go "it wasn't what I thought it would be" and you have to accept the return. I have several scam stories, the most recent being someone tried to swap out an expensive set with one that had been opened and parts stolen. Once a customer files an A-to-Z claim, which are always bogus, you might as well give up. Their is no person you can talk or chat with. The A-to-Z department only responds to e-mails and they have limited English comprehension, instead sending the same form letter over and over.

Sure Amazon reaches a very broad marketplace, but the headaches can be quite frustrating as you are tied to THEIR rules.

• Like 1