What is your Top 10 list of Most Iconic Lego sets of all-time?

Tractor boy,

Great list. Yes, you hit the hammer on the nair's head with what "iconic" means.

Great list.

The only change I would have made was either the yellow or king's castle.

Thanks! I actually had the 375 yellow castle in there funnily enough, but took it out for the VW Camper haha.

Yes, that was a great set too, one of my friends had it and it was a lot of fun.

Tractorboy that was a great list. I love your thought process behind all of your choices, even if I may have replaced a couple, you should add a paragraph or two and release that as a blog. I was never able to get a Galaxy Explorer as a kid, I remember drooling over it while looking through the old catalogs that used to come with sets, by the time I was able to save enough cash to pick one up it dissapeared. Such is the way of things, not long after I started noticing girls and all my Lego was boxed up with the rest of my childhood.

Thanks, glad you liked it! Yes, I can totally relate to what you're saying, it sounds very familiar.  :D

I loved gazing at the catalogs back then too, it's all we had I suppose in the days before internet. When I knew what set I would be getting that Christmas, I'd pour over images of it in a catalog to see what pieces I would be getting.

• Like 1

I was born in 1991 and got my first Lego set in 1993. Much of my childhood correlates with many of the sets that came out between 1993-1998, since I would always stare at them in catalogs knowing my parents would never spend that much on a set. When I got my first job at age 16 I made sure I finally picked up all of these that I wanted as a kid. Seeing this thread, thinking about the top sets, and looking up photos of them made me a little teary-eyed. Times were much simpler back then....and most of these sets were much simpler in terms of the build as sets are now today. But these hold the top 10 sets in my book.

1. 6277 Imperial Trading Post (#1 favorite theme of all time)

6277-1.jpg

2. 6286 Skull's Eye Schooner (debatable which ship between 6285/6286 I like more)6286-1.jpg

3. 6090 Royal Knight's Castle

6090-1.jpg

4. 6285 Black Seas Barracuda

6285-1.jpg

5. 6195 Neptune Discovery Lab (#2 favorite theme of all time....this theme was never very popular, and the sets are still cheap)

)6195-1.jpg

6. 10237 Tower of Orthanc (huge LOTR fan, and especially love the ents)

10237-1.jpg

7. Airport Shuttle

6399-1.jpg

8. 4558 Metroliner (best 9-volt set ever)

4558-1.jpg

9. 6983 Deep Freeze Defender (Ice Planet/Spyrius/Space Police is my favorite theme after Pirates and Aquazone)

6973-1.jpg

10. 6769 Fort Legoredo (my first $100 Lego set..parents found it very cheap and bought it for my brother and I for christmas one year)

6769-1.jpg

Honorable mentions:

6278 Enchanted Island

6278-1.jpg

6350 Pizza To Go (best $20 set of all time)

6350-1.jpg

10152 Maersk Ship (or the new Maersk ship, which may be better)

10152-1.jpg

6598 Metro PD Station (Playing Lego Island on PC as a kid helped cement this set in my mind)

6598-1.jpg

9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep (again, huge LOTR fan, and fantastic set)

9474-1.jpg

10214 Tower Bridge (visited London this past summer....looks like a great set)10214-1.jpg

6190 Shark's Crystal Cave (at one point in time as a kid probably my favorite set)

6190-1.jpg

• Like 2

1. Giant chess set. 2. Taj mahal 3. Parisan restaurant 4. Pet shop 5. Haunted house

6. Grand emporium 7. Sea cow 8. Camper van 9. Millenium falcon 10. Green grocer

No particular order

Awesome, I was waiting for someone to mention the giant chess set! If you put it on display, even if someone didn't like Legos, they could play chess with it. Everything else is for display and admiration only, or very limited playability, especially for people not into Legos.

• 3 weeks later...

IGN put out a list today (hey, maybe they were inspired by this forum haha): http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/08/10-lego-sets-that-rocked-our-world

I do like what they did with #1.

Great link share.

I agree with 6 of the sets. However, the count could be 7 if Back to the Future becomes a classic with the press it had.

When I think of iconic, I think of sets that did rock the world for Lego. As great as Tower of Orthanic is, it currently isn't iconic. It'a not one of the sets I think of when someone asks me about Lego all-time sets. It is one of the better modern sets though.

I can't comment on the Technic Grand Prix Racer set as I'm not aware of that line.

If the original Batcave or Batmobile sets weren't remade, I would have included one of them my list. They proved that Lego could properly do superheroes (more so than Spidey) and then tie it into a successful video game..

• 4 months later...

7) 6769 Fort Legoredo

Probably my personal favorite from this list (even though from the Western theme I like Gold City Junction more). Another classic that was so successful it was also treated with a re-release. The Western theme is one of the few one-and-dones (minus LR, if you consider that a western theme) that have been very popular with fans. Very unique.

I just picked up 6769 Fort Legoredo, and most of the rest of the sets in this theme, out of my old closet at my parent's house.  I am excited to check it out again.

So here is the list with every individual list aggregated.

For those ranking them in order I assigned a scoring system of the #1 set getting 10 points, the #2 set getting 9 points and so on.  For those listing in no particular order each set got 5 points.  Here's the results:

bp_1407968344__top_ten_iconic.jpg

No surprises at the top and I'd have to say the combined top 10 is a pretty good representation of sets that should be considered 'iconic'.

• Like 5

For those ranking them in order I assigned a scoring system of the #1 set getting 10 points, the #2 set getting 9 points and so on. For those listing in no particular order each set got 5 points. Here's the results:

No surprises at the top and I'd have to say the combined top 10 is a pretty good representation of sets that should be considered 'iconic'.

I think the Black Seas Barracuda should be a little higher up there. You counted the votes for the 10040 reissue seperately, but that and 6285 are basically the same set.

Apart from that, good work!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker

I think the Black Seas Barracuda should be a little higher up there. You counted the votes for the 10040 reissue seperately, but that and 6285 are basically the same set.

Oh yeah!  I never even noticed that.  Thanks for finding it.

That means Black Seas Barracuda would get 38 points in total and push it into outright 5th place, with the others sliding down one spot.

my iconic list of SW only

1) 10179  Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon

2) 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer

3) 10143 Death Star II

4) 10221 Super Star Destoyer

5) 10123 Cloud City

6) 10212 Imperial Shuttle

7) 7191/10240 X-wing Fighter / Red Five X-wing Starfighter

8 ) 10019 Rebel Blockade Runner

9) 75059/10144 Sandcrawler

10) 10178 Motorised Walking AT-AT

• 2 months later...

For those ranking them in order I assigned a scoring system of the #1 set getting 10 points, the #2 set getting 9 points and so on.  For those listing in no particular order each set got 5 points.  Here's the results:

This is great. Can you send me the Excel spreasheet via PM?

my iconic list of SW only

1) 10179  Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon

2) 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer

3) 10143 Death Star II

4) 10221 Super Star Destoyer

5) 10123 Cloud City

6) 10212 Imperial Shuttle

7) 7191/10240 X-wing Fighter / Red Five X-wing Starfighter

8 ) 10019 Rebel Blockade Runner

9) 75059/10144 Sandcrawler

10) 10178 Motorised Walking AT-AT

Can you please let me know your general top ten list (not just SW)?

My top 10 iconic sets in order:

6285 - Black Seas Barracuda

6399 - Airport Shuttle

10185 - Green Grocer

10184 - Town Plan

10181 - Eiffel Tower

10210 - Imperial Flagship

10196 - Grand Carousel

10214 - Tower Bridge

10193 - Medieval Market Village

10179 - UCS Millenium Falcon

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great thread! Coming out of my Dark Ages about three years ago these are the most iconic sets to me personally. Of course, sets like the UCS Falcon and Cafe Corner are per se iconic, but mean nothing to me as far as connecting my childhood to my new found love for Lego. (Don't get me wrong, would love to have them).

1. Yellow Castle - My first set ever. Still remember the day I put it together.

2. Exxon Station - This was the first set I had in my "town". Subsequently added a fire station, police station, the motorcycle shop, and built my own grocery store.

3. Main Street - The last set I put into my town and the last set before the Dark Ages. I was about 14- Lego was no longer "cool". Stupid.

4. Death Star - Whoa, what have I been missing!? Displayed in my office.

5. Black Pearl - Best pirate ship with the coolest minifigs hands down.

6. Diagon Alley - A proper magnum opus. As a Harry Potter fan, Lego nailed it with this final and largest set in the series.

7. Parisian Cafe - Most beautiful and architecturally interesting modular, if not set, ever made. The Detective Office is right up there with it.

8. Arkham Asylum - Batman rocks.

9. Ewok Village - Even when compared to the toys of old, is there any better Star Wars set overall?

10. Town Hall - A painful reminder what happens when I ignore my hobby for a few months after I had delayed, delayed and delayed getting a set that I want. Oh well, someday when i have an extra $500....lol.

• Like 3

1. 3450 - Statue of Liberty

2. 10181 - Eiffel Tower

3. 10030 - Star Destroyer

4. 10179 - Falcon

5. 10143 - Death Star II

6. 10212 - Imperial Shuttle

7. 10220 - VW Camper

8. 7194 - Yoda

9. 10018 - Darth Maul

10. 10225 - R2-D2

+1 - 10177 - Boeing Dreamliner