What is your Top 10 list of Most Iconic Lego sets of all-time?

hm. let's see here. Fort Legorado, my very first lego set as a kid.

10182 Cafe Corner, because it's one of the first truly modular lego sets I can remember.

7775 Aquabase Invasion, because at the time I thought underwater themed stuff was just plain cool.

7785 Batman Arkham Asylum, the set that truly got me hooked on Batman stuff.

10144 Sandcrawler, because it was my biggest purchase regret ever, I was an impatient child and bought the aquabase invasion set above over it because the store was out of the sandcrawlers, still kick myself over it today and am currently involved in an ebay auction trying to get one.

10179 Ultimate Collector's Edition Millenium Falcon, because it was and still is an awesome looking set, and it was the first lego set over $200 that I had ever seen.

would your list changed if you removed the personal element? 

hm. let's see here. Fort Legorado, my very first lego set as a kid.

10182 Cafe Corner, because it's one of the first truly modular lego sets I can remember.

7775 Aquabase Invasion, because at the time I thought underwater themed stuff was just plain cool.

7785 Batman Arkham Asylum, the set that truly got me hooked on Batman stuff.

10144 Sandcrawler, because it was my biggest purchase regret ever, I was an impatient child and bought the aquabase invasion set above over it because the store was out of the sandcrawlers, still kick myself over it today and am currently involved in an ebay auction trying to get one.

10179 Ultimate Collector's Edition Millenium Falcon, because it was and still is an awesome looking set, and it was the first lego set over $200 that I had ever seen.

By iconic i take it as being impressive, most unforgetable and one of few sets that i would keep if given very limited space. They are selected for being the most representative of popular culture that i grew up with and would elicit a strong emotional response whenever i see them once in a while.

My list will include (not in any order):

1. Tower of orthanc 10237

2. VW camper

3. Townhall 10224

4. Eiffel tower from both creator 10181 and architecture

5. winter cottage 10229

6. 10178 MF

7. Vampire castle 9468

8. Ghost busters

9. 4842 hogwarts

I reserve 1 more slot for future, possibly an avengers set.

• 2 weeks later...

By iconic i take it as being impressive, most unforgetable and one of few sets that i would keep if given very limited space. They are selected for being the most representative of popular culture that i grew up with and would elicit a strong emotional response whenever i see them once in a while.

My list will include (not in any order):

1. Tower of orthanc 10237

2. VW camper

3. Townhall 10224

4. Eiffel tower from both creator 10181 and architecture

5. winter cottage 10229

6. 10178 MF

7. Vampire castle 9468

8. Ghost busters

9. 4842 hogwarts

I reserve 1 more slot for future, possibly an avengers set.

Would your list change of you removed the emotional element?

We have some great lists.

Please remember "iconic" in the sense of what the sets meant to the LEGO brand. The lists should not be personal. If you can't list 10 sets, that's fine. Make the list shorter.

would your list changed if you removed the personal element?

Thread title: "What is YOUR top 10 list of most iconic Lego sets of all-time?" NOT "What is THE top 10 list of most iconic Lego sets of all-time?" Maybe the thread title is wrong..? ;) Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 2

being iconic invariably would include an emotional element, because asethetics is subjective.

Or you are more interested to find out what i think other people feel? Meaning what i think majority of other people think are iconic?

Thread title: "What is YOUR top 10 list of most iconic Lego sets of all-time?" NOT "What is THE top 10 list of most iconic Lego sets of all-time?" Maybe the thread title is wrong..? ;)

being iconic invariably would include an emotional element, because asethetics is subjective.

Or you are more interested to find out what i think other people feel? Meaning what i think majority of other people think are iconic?

I see your points,

Iconic is defined as

"1: of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an icon

2 a : widely recognized and well-established <an iconic brand name>

2 b : widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence.

Iconic doesn't need to be sentimental, emotional, personal, etc... What sets did Lego produced that ended up having helped shaped their public image?

For example (movies), I don't personally care about Gone with the Wind or The Sound of Music but both these films would be considered iconic and most certainly included in "top" movie lists. Same for Architecture with Fallingwater, Taj Mahel, Effel Tower, etc..

• 4 weeks later...

Not in any order

I) 10001/4558 Metroliner 

II) 10041/6390 Main Street 

III) 6399 Airport shuttle 

IV) 10182 Cafe Corner (first Modular) 

V) 10185 Green Grocer (My personal favourite)

VI) 10181 Eiffel Tower (Tallest lego Set) 

VII) 10189 Taj Mahal (Largests Lego set)

VIII) 10179 Millennium Falcon (Largest and most sought after UCS set) 

IX) 6285/10041 Black Seas Barracuda (Most Iconic pirate ship lego produced) 

X) 10030 Star Destroyer (first Large UCS set)

Honourable Mentions

XI) 10020 Sante Fe/ 10133 BNSF

XII) 3450 Statue of Liberty (Not very well know but first world monument created by lego)

XIII) 4886 Building Bonanza (for those who don't know its the first "creator" line house) 

XIV) 10225 R2-D2

XV) 10221 Super Star Destroyer

XVI) 10187 VW Beetle 

XVII) 10173 Holiday Train (first holiday set) 

XVIII) 10177 Boeing 787 Dreamliner 

XIX) 10190 Market Street (One of the first 3 modulars) 

XX) 4954 Model House/ 4956 House 

XXI) 7783 Batcave/ 7784 UCS Batmobile/ 7785 Arkham Asylum 

XXII) 842 Town Plan/ 10184 Town Plan

XXIII) 395 Rolls royce/ 391 Renault/ 390 Cadillac

XXIV) 1650 Maersk Boat 

XXV) 10194 Emerald Night

XXVI) 10193 Medieval Market Village

XXVII) 10199 Winter Toy Shop

XXVIII) 497 Galaxy Explorer 

XXIV) 398 USS Constitution

Edited by MrEverything1987

Well thought out list.  Pretty darn good list actually.

Not in any order

I) 10001/4558 Metroliner 

II) 10041/6390 Main Street 

III) 6399 Airport shuttle 

IV) 10182 Cafe Corner (first Modular) 

V) 10185 Green Grocer (My personal favourite)

VI) 10181 Eiffel Tower (Tallest lego Set) 

VII) 10189 Taj Mahal (Largests Lego set)

VIII) 10179 Millennium Falcon (Largest and most sought after UCS set) 

IX) 6285/10041 Black Seas Barracuda (Most Iconic pirate ship lego produced) 

X) 10030 Star Destroyer (first Large UCS set)

Honourable Mentions

XI) 10020 Sante Fe/ 10133 BNSF

XII) 3450 Statue of Liberty (Not very well know but first world monument created by lego)

XIII) 4886 Building Bonanza (for those who don't know its the first "creator" line house) 

XIV) 10225 R2-D2

XV) 10221 Super Star Destroyer

XVI) 10187 VW Beetle 

XVII) 10173 Holiday Train (first holiday set) 

XVIII) 10177 Boeing 787 Dreamliner 

XIX) 10190 Market Street (One of the first 3 modulars) 

XX) 4954 Model House/ 4956 House 

XXI) 7783 Batcave/ 7784 UCS Batmobile/ 7785 Arkham Asylum 

XXII) 842 Town Plan/ 10184 Town Plan

XXIII) 395 Rolls royce/ 391 Renault/ 390 Cadillac

XXIV) 1650 Maersk Boat 

XXV) 10194 Emerald Night

XXVI) 10193 Medieval Market Village

XXVII) 10199 Winter Toy Shop

XXVIII) 497 Galaxy Explorer 

XXIV) 398 USS Constitution

• 1 month later...

will keep list short.

in no particular order:

-deathstar 10143 (Do not own,wish I did)

-vw camper 10220 (The set that got me out of my dark ages for good)

-853 and 856 car/auto chassis (always wanted this set as a kid but never had it)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
51 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

Thanks to the list.  Cons you update it with what you think would be in the top 10 iconic sets of all-time?  You already listed a couple.

On June 24, 2015 at 11:05 PM, pmh said:

will keep list short.

in no particular order:

-deathstar 10143 (Do not own,wish I did)

-vw camper 10220 (The set that got me out of my dark ages for good)

-853 and 856 car/auto chassis (always wanted this set as a kid but never had it)

Do you have a top 10 list?

I replied to this thread during my lunchbreak, not a lot of time to look at Lego sets :derisive:

Here's another four I remember:

http://brickset.com/sets/6766-1/Rapid-River-Village

http://brickset.com/sets/6278-1/Enchanted-Island

http://brickset.com/sets/6543-1/Sail-N-Fly-Marina

http://brickset.com/sets/6080-1/King-s-Castle

I didn't have any of these, but they looked great in the catalog and the ideas book (king's castle).

Edited by c_rpg

• 3 months later...

I 10179 UCS Millenium Falcon
II 10189 Taj Mahal
III 10188 Death Star
IV 10221 UCS Super Star Destroyer
V 10030 UCS Imperial Star Destroyer
VI 10212 UCS Imperial Shuttle
VII 10214 Tower Bridge
VIII 10237 Tower of Orthanc
IX 9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep
X 19217 Diagon Alley

Edited by Simon74

8 minutes ago, Simon74 said:

I 10179 UCS Millenium Falcon
II 10189 Taj Mahal
III 10188 Death Star
IV 10221 UCS Super Star Destroyer
V 10030 UCS Imperial Star Destroyer
VI 10212 UCS Imperial Shuttle
VII 10214 Tower Bridge
VIII 10237 Tower of Orthanc
IX 9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep
X 19217 Diagon Alley

Why do you consider 6, 9 and 10 iconic?  

Not sure what interpretation of iconic I should be using at this point. I just finished reading the entire thread and the definition has changed a few times. I am newly awakened AFOL and this is a list of sets that make wish I had woken up 10 years ago. This list also contains sets that I may consider buying on the resale market. 

1) UCS Millenium Falcon (I am hoping they remake this so I don't have to convince my wife that paying $6000 is perfectly sane)

2) Green Grocer

3) Cafe Corner

4) UCS Imperial Star Destroyer

5) Grand Emporium

6) Town Hall

7) Fire Brigade

8 ) Ewok Village ( The only set on this list I own. It reminded me of the EV I had when I was a child.)

9) Lego Winter Village Cottage ( I love the winter themed sets, I will probably buy this year)

10) Harry Potter's Hogwarts Castle (My daughter recently got into Harry Potter and she would love this set)

* Sets that could be on my list

Technic Porsche 911 GT3 RS ( I really had no interest in Technic until I saw this set)

Parisian Restaurant

Pet Shop

Grand Carousel

Ferris Wheel ( I own this but have not built it yet)

Disney World Cinderella Castle (I am sure I will be buying this set when it comes out. It will probably move into my top 10)

I know that there are several other sets that could really be considered iconic but for me personally I did not care for them. 

6 hours ago, cubfan78 said:

Not sure what interpretation of iconic I should be using at this point. I just finished reading the entire thread and the definition has changed a few times. I am newly awakened AFOL and this is a list of sets that make wish I had woken up 10 years ago. This list also contains sets that I may consider buying on the resale market.

I know that there are several other sets that could really be considered iconic but for me personally I did not care for them. 

hi. great top 10 list. i started this topic and never changed our definition of "iconic".  some folks just chose to ignore what iconic means.

iconic quotes from this topic = "when i typed iconic, i meant it has to be well known, maybe continues to age well, considered impressive, maybe "break-thru" when introduced, etc... It doesn't need to be a list of sets that you had the opportunity to own or build. For me, I've only build 2 sets on my list and one another.... i'm taking iconic to mean just that, as opposed to 'my favourite' or the ones I think were the best sets. "

3 hours ago, jaisonline said:

hi. great top 10 list. i started this topic and never changed our definition of "iconic".  some folks just chose to ignore what iconic means.

iconic quotes from this topic = "when i typed iconic, i meant it has to be well known, maybe continues to age well, considered impressive, maybe "break-thru" when introduced, etc... It doesn't need to be a list of sets that you had the opportunity to own or build. For me, I've only build 2 sets on my list and one another.... i'm taking iconic to mean just that, as opposed to 'my favourite' or the ones I think were the best sets. "

Fair enough. Here is a more objective list of Iconic top 10, regardless of price or future value.

UCS Millenium Falcon

Cafe Corner

Grand Carousel

Taj Majal

SSD

Death Star

This the best list I can come up with. I am just too new of an AFOL to give a full list.

• Like 1

In my opinion, every list should include 853/956 Car Chassis. The Technic set that really launched and cemented that line. For me this set feels truly "Iconic". I would say the same for the first UCS set - 7191 X-Wing Fighter. Of course 10179 - Millenium Falcon is part of the list as it spawned the whole LEGO investing phenomenon as we know it. 10182 Cafe Corner as the first Modular is iconic in its own right. And one set nobody mentions: The RCX set which launched Mindstorms (don't know the set number). Finally, because I'm a sucker for trains: 10194 Emerald Night (but I could argue for the 10020-10022-10025 Santa Fe series as well) as the first proper AFOL-worthy train set.

• Like 1