TRU BOGO 50 - February 7-13

@rtisan

5$ is not a lot of money for a lot of work. I think thats the majority of the reasons people hold them for a while.

Sweet spot for a $20 set is to buy a lot of them a couple of months before reitirng. Obviously its guessing, but I bought 15 or so Wolvernines in November. Already more than doubled. If I bought those a year ago, not the same story.

Money in, money out, fast and furious. I recycle the cash quick. How hard is it when TRU is on the way from work to home? Just rack up my mileage on my frequent flyers. I've mentioned before, I've lost money on stocks before. But to quick flip these for 20% profit? I'd take it to the bank everyday of the week. Baxter Robot Rampage for $24.95, if I can flip for $35-$40 each, that's a whopping 50% gain, tell me which stock in the markets can guarantee that return, in less than a year. Penny stocks perhaps?

5$ is not a lot of money for a lot of work. I think thats the majority of the reasons people hold them for a while.

Sweet spot for a $20 set is to buy a lot of them a couple of months before reitirng. Obviously its guessing, but I bought 15 or so Wolvernines in November. Already more than doubled. If I bought those a year ago, not the same story.

The sales I made on wolverine chopper at $40, I already recharged that with a bunch of hobbit sets that I flipped using Barrel Escapes, the cash pile has grown to Robie houses, from choppers to barrels, to Robies and Funhouse. If you were to stock up on big cash gains, don't tell me you'll pass up on Robies and Funhouse escapes.

Money in, money out, fast and furious. I recycle the cash quick. How hard is it when TRU is on the way from work to home? Just rack up my mileage on my frequent flyers. I've mentioned before, I've lost money on stocks before. But to quick flip these for 20% profit? I'd take it to the bank everyday of the week. Baxter Robot Rampage for $24.95, if I can flip for $35-$40 each, that's a whopping 50% gain, tell me which stock in the markets can guarantee that return, in less than a year. Penny stocks perhaps?

The sales I made on wolverine chopper at $40, I already recharged that with a bunch of hobbit sets that I flipped using Barrel Escapes, the cash pile has grown to Robie houses, from choppers to barrels, to Robies and Funhouse. If you were to stock up on big cash gains, don't tell me you'll pass up on Robies and Funhouse escapes.

To each their own, its just easy to run out of steam doing things like that. And I assume you are selling things local because you aren't factoring in fees or shipping.

To each their own, its just easy to run out of steam doing things like that. And I assume you are selling things local because you aren't factoring in fees or shipping.

I've sold local, and also through the US and on ebay. I got a good system going so this steam won't die. If the USD shoots up, I'll be flipping Simpsons, Maersk and Parisian Restaurant down to the US. So far, so good. Got it good going both ways. The best win so far for me is loading up unimogs at $175USD and flipping them for $260CAD and it takes less than 2 days to just do the quick flip. Best of all, these people get my contact number and asks for specific items, so when I see a sale, I can jump on them. I started off with limited funds and put a cap on it, and now I have accumulated $10,000 worth of lego constantly rotating in and out. The next big number to hit would be $20,000.

I was dismayed that my TRU had little to titillate.  I did nab two Red Cargo trains...one left on the shelf, but nothing even comparable in price to BOGO it with, so I left it.  The Windsor TRU had only Superman sets and a couple Malibu Mansions for Superheroes, so if you live in the area, not much to get.  There was one open and *poorly* re-taped Arctic Batman, but that was it.  Ugh.

The only thing I did notice was my TRU had some Space Shuttles (3367) for $49 with Bogo.  This is not showing up on TRU.ca so thought it might be my best bet if I wanted to go back.  I think there were about 8 pristine boxes, but I'm not sure what the ceiling is on these.  Any thoughts?

My TRU has about 10 of these (3367) all pristine.  With bogo would be #37.50 each plus tax.  Interesting as it's been out since 2010!!  Curious what peoples thought are on this set as well.

I've sold local, and also through the US and on ebay. I got a good system going so this steam won't die. If the USD shoots up, I'll be flipping Simpsons, Maersk and Parisian Restaurant down to the US. So far, so good. Got it good going both ways. The best win so far for me is loading up unimogs at $175USD and flipping them for $260CAD and it takes less than 2 days to just do the quick flip. Best of all, these people get my contact number and asks for specific items, so when I see a sale, I can jump on them. I started off with limited funds and put a cap on it, and now I have accumulated $10,000 worth of lego constantly rotating in and out. The next big number to hit would be $20,000.

All I can say is I'm glad you're out west ;)      

All I can say is I'm glad you're out west ;)

I guarantee you someone is pulling the same stunt in the east as well, particularly Toronto. I've met a few people from Toronto who taught me all the tricks. I started with $2000 two years ago and my inventory has rocketed to over $10,000 in 24 months. This with a base of $2000. The key is having no attachment to any sets. You flip the minute you make 20%. Even if it's from $20 up to $25. $5 here $5 there, that's 20% returns in short spurts, compound the interest from principle, not from years but to daily or weekly compound, and you can see quadruples and quintuples in six months. Bag holding $20 sets for a year and stockpiling 20 sets to sit there is plain stupid. If inventory doesn't move, it's dead money.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Respect your energy thehobbyrat  :)  Everybody has their style in this Lego game.  I'm sure there's at least 20 or more 'Lego rats' (in a nice way) here in the Toronto area...more each week/month.  Competition will weed out certain people and dictate how much effort some investors/flippers are willing to put forth.  If the heat gets too hot I'm leaving the kitchen and just buying mainly for personal collection.  Good luck on flipping and reaching your $20,000 goal.      

Respect your energy thehobbyrat :) Everybody has their style in this Lego game. I'm sure there's at least 20 or more 'Lego rats' (in a nice way) here in the Toronto area...more each week/month. Competition will weed out certain people and dictate how much effort some investors/flippers are willing to put forth. If the heat gets too hot I'm leaving the kitchen and just buying mainly for personal collection. Good luck on flipping and reaching your $20,000 goal.

By flipping them at $5-$10 gains, I'm guaranteed to move my stock while the greedy ones looking to make more are left in the dust. This forces them to bag hold while I weed them out. Best of all is that whatever sales there are in the US, I capture them all relentlessly. I got over $1000 contingency fund ready to rapid fire on amazon.com and TRU USA when a sale comes about. The USD is in my Paypal from my other transformers sales on eBay and I will keep Rollin in transformers masterpiece from Asia to build my usd position to rapid fire any US sale.

By flipping them at $5-$10 gains, I'm guaranteed to move my stock while the greedy ones looking to make more are left in the dust. This forces them to bag hold while I weed them out. Best of all is that whatever sales there are in the US, I capture them all relentlessly. I got over $1000 contingency fund ready to rapid fire on amazon.com and TRU USA when a sale comes about. The USD is in my Paypal from my other transformers sales on eBay and I will keep Rollin in transformers masterpiece from Asia to build my usd position to rapid fire any US sale.

Interesting method  :thumbsup: That`s of course assuming you can purchase items from across the border though. Many of us up here can`t do that. Ya it`s easy to get a US postal box, but there is the issue of time to consider as well. I work full time and getting away to go pick up items would be very nice, but it`s not practical for my schedule. If you and others are able, that`s awesome, keep doing it, you`re able to take advantage of many more sales. Definetly you have a solid method down, and if you`ve been able to go from $2000 to $10,000 like you said, there`s nothing else to say aside from "excellent work!"

I`m not content to let large sums of capital sit in the corner for long periods of time, which really is the reasons I`ve personally passed on this sale today. But holding longer allows me to better fit my personal schedule and abilities at this time. There is no way I can run to the post office every day to pick up/ship out orders, which is part of the reasons I don`t sell very much. Still trying to figure out how to do this. Working on a Bricklink inventory, and have been for over a year, but the time investment really is killer. Definetly I`ve feel like I`ve learned how to go about flipping and when to hold/flip/at what price point, etc (thanks to everyone who has helped me learn since joining here nearly a year ago, you guys and girls are the best :thumbsup: ), but the time commitment isn`t practical for me. Just can`t do it, and certainly there are many more who aren`t able to do it either. Once my store is open and I`ll (hopefully) be filling order, it`ll be a trial run to see how to juggle this sort of thing. 

Only reasons I`ve mentioned this is to try and say that everyone`s got their own strategies. There are some methods that definitely work better then others, some offer quicker returns, others offer larger ones, etc. Everyone has to figure out what works for them and how to build around it. That`s part of the fun! My motivation in this is as a hobby, with a desire to make some capital along the way. I enjoy learning and watching the sets and reading others` opinions and experiences. That is what keeps me involved, the money aspect is secondary. Got to have fun and I`ve promised myself that whenever (hopefully not ever) this becomes a chore or a heavy stress inducer, I`m out. Hasn`t happened yet, and to me that`s definitely what it`s all about  :good:

• Like 1

Interesting method :thumbsup: That`s of course assuming you can purchase items from across the border though. Many of us up here can`t do that. Ya it`s easy to get a US postal box, but there is the issue of time to consider as well. I work full time and getting away to go pick up items would be very nice, but it`s not practical for my schedule. If you and others are able, that`s awesome, keep doing it, you`re able to take advantage of many more sales. Definetly you have a solid method down, and if you`ve been able to go from $2000 to $10,000 like you said, there`s nothing else to say aside from "excellent work!"

I`m not content to let large sums of capital sit in the corner for long periods of time, which really is the reasons I`ve personally passed on this sale today. But holding longer allows me to better fit my personal schedule and abilities at this time. There is no way I can run to the post office every day to pick up/ship out orders, which is part of the reasons I don`t sell very much. Still trying to figure out how to do this. Working on a Bricklink inventory, and have been for over a year, but the time investment really is killer. Definetly I`ve feel like I`ve learned how to go about flipping and when to hold/flip/at what price point, etc (thanks to everyone who has helped me learn since joining here nearly a year ago, you guys and girls are the best :thumbsup: ), but the time commitment isn`t practical for me. Just can`t do it, and certainly there are many more who aren`t able to do it either. Once my store is open and I`ll (hopefully) be filling order, it`ll be a trial run to see how to juggle this sort of thing.

Only reasons I`ve mentioned this is to try and say that everyone`s got their own strategies. There are some methods that definitely work better then others, some offer quicker returns, others offer larger ones, etc. Everyone has to figure out what works for them and how to build around it. That`s part of the fun! My motivation in this is as a hobby, with a desire to make some capital along the way. I enjoy learning and watching the sets and reading others` opinions and experiences. That is what keeps me involved, the money aspect is secondary. Got to have fun and I`ve promised myself that whenever (hopefully not ever) this becomes a chore or a heavy stress inducer, I`m out. Hasn`t happened yet, and to me that`s definitely what it`s all about :good:

Canadians are usually disadvantage but the landscape is slowly changing with some recent sales. I bet a lot of Americans saw the Ewok village today on blowout and wish they can buy. The currency exchange and the price difference of the new sets have shrunk. Be patient on this. The Parisian restaurant and Maersk freighter are ones to keep an eye on. Same with the Simpsons house.

You are right though, it is time consuming to pick stuff up at the border but my cousin makes runs to the border twice a week for his business so he picks up all the sets for me. I don't even need to list things on craigslist that much because I have buyers making demands for specific sets and I can only bring so much back. When I post on craigslist, people would buy, then asks for email updates on new products.

I posted earlier saying that I'm trying to sell the millennium falcon for $140-$150. Knowledgeable people here would see that as a fire sale, craigslist people ask for $90 on the MF. What fools.

I was selling AT-TE walkers for $70 and people still wanted it cheaper. Well, I did pick 20 of them up from amazon.com on cyber Monday for $42. :) so I could've gone lower.

I guarantee you someone is pulling the same stunt in the east as well, particularly Toronto. I've met a few people from Toronto who taught me all the tricks. I started with $2000 two years ago and my inventory has rocketed to over $10,000 in 24 months. This with a base of $2000. The key is having no attachment to any sets. You flip the minute you make 20%. Even if it's from $20 up to $25. $5 here $5 there, that's 20% returns in short spurts, compound the interest from principle, not from years but to daily or weekly compound, and you can see quadruples and quintuples in six months. Bag holding $20 sets for a year and stockpiling 20 sets to sit there is plain stupid. If inventory doesn't move, it's dead money.

WOW! that's amazing.. I have to learn a lot from you. Where do you sell most of your stuff, on Ebay? or locally?

Canadians are usually disadvantage but the landscape is slowly changing with some recent sales. I bet a lot of Americans saw the Ewok village today on blowout and wish they can buy. The currency exchange and the price difference of the new sets have shrunk. Be patient on this. The Parisian restaurant and Maersk freighter are ones to keep an eye on. Same with the Simpsons house.

You are right though, it is time consuming to pick stuff up at the border but my cousin makes runs to the border twice a week for his business so he picks up all the sets for me. I don't even need to list things on craigslist that much because I have buyers making demands for specific sets and I can only bring so much back. When I post on craigslist, people would buy, then asks for email updates on new products.

I posted earlier saying that I'm trying to sell the millennium falcon for $140-$150. Knowledgeable people here would see that as a fire sale, craigslist people ask for $90 on the MF. What fools.

I was selling AT-TE walkers for $70 and people still wanted it cheaper. Well, I did pick 20 of them up from amazon.com on cyber Monday for $42. :) so I could've gone lower.

That's a great deal. Wished I brought that many too myself.  How many have your sold so far?

WOW! that's amazing.. I have to learn a lot from you. Where do you sell most of your stuff, on Ebay? or locally?

I usually sell to repeat clients. Originally posted them on craigslist and eventually got a bunch of them identifying sets they want so most of my postings on craigslist are leftovers. I would tend to sell the top sets like Robie house, unimog and modulars to repeat customers. There are too many low balling. I sold a bunch of wolverine choppers on eBay. I got it good with those. Picked them up at TRu and u loaded them each for $10 profits on the same day. They were selling like hotcakes so I had to make more runs at TRU, sell when everyone is desperate to buy. Next round of panic buying will come from funhouse escape, bank on it. I've been netting $65-$70 per set so far.

That's a great deal. Wished I brought that many too myself. How many have your sold so far?

All gone...the first 5, I sold for $65-70 because I wasn't familiar with the game, the rest I sold for $80 each. I ordered so many I was pissing my pants worried about not being able to offload. I won't be this stupid again.

I usually sell to repeat clients. Originally posted them on craigslist and eventually got a bunch of them identifying sets they want so most of my postings on craigslist are leftovers. I would tend to sell the top sets like Robie house, unimog and modulars to repeat customers. There are too many low balling. I sold a bunch of wolverine choppers on eBay. I got it good with those. Picked them up at TRu and u loaded them each for $10 profits on the same day. They were selling like hotcakes so I had to make more runs at TRU, sell when everyone is desperate to buy. Next round of panic buying will come from funhouse escape, bank on it. I've been netting $65-$70 per set so far.

I'm curious how you're getting so much for the funhouse?  If you're netting that much per set you must be selling them for about $100 a piece at least.  Seems a bit early to be getting that much.. Interesting.  Also, does your AT-TE lot purchase of $42 each include taxes, exchange and duty etc?

I'm curious how you're getting so much for the funhouse? If you're netting that much per set you must be selling them for about $100 a piece at least. Seems a bit early to be getting that much.. Interesting. Also, does your AT-TE lot purchase of $42 each include taxes, exchange and duty etc?

I was "netting" meaning selling them for $70. My cost from the TRU US sales in the past 6 months is avg $33USD. So 100% profit on avg. 33usd is total include tax and shipping. At one time, I ran out of stock, showed TRU the lego listing sold out price of $24.95, and cleaned out their shelves. I have about 25 left.

AT-TE after 8.5% tax is a bit under $47. Includes shipping. I'll wait for the next blowout sale to reload that.

I was "netting" meaning selling them for $70. My cost from the TRU US sales in the past 6 months is avg $33USD. So 100% profit on avg. 33usd is total include tax and shipping. At one time, I ran out of stock, showed TRU the lego listing sold out price of $24.95, and cleaned out their shelves. I have about 25 left.

AT-TE after 8.5% tax is a bit under $47. Includes shipping. I'll wait for the next blowout sale to reload that.

Ok I see that makes more sense now with the funhouses. :)  How do you get them across the border without paying duty if they are being shipped to you?

Ok I see that makes more sense now with the funhouses. :) How do you get them across the border without paying duty if they are being shipped to you?

Just go to the border, pick up in small lots and dump it in my big truck, make three to four rounds in different lanes, go take a dump at a McDonald's, then make more rounds. I usually bring in about 30 sets each complete run. The border patrol recognize me already. I also brought a drum set back yesterday and they wanted to tax me on that??? And not 10 sets of family house? Hahaa. Unbelievable. The drum set was $109, the family house came in a total of $500 plus 20 sets of emerald express from the TRU -25 from 75 deal in the US.

awesome. Thanks for the great tips.

TRU let you price match even though Baxter set is listed as sold out?

I tried to pm vampyre castle last week for $35 and they wouldnt let me. Kept saying it is a us site coz it is Lego.com, not .ca, even though it shows a Canadian price. Bummer. Might have to go to a different TRU!

$35 is over doing it for the vampyre castle and doesn't sound legit. You should be doing the CA site. They let me match all the Baxter sets because at $24.98, it was reasonable. :)