Where can I download a printable brick list?

thetamp

If such a list exists, it would be huge. I'm not sure if you are only interested in just bricks, but there are hundreds, if not thousands, of LEGO elements available for building. I think the first thing you should do is get a couple large sets and start building. This will give you a good introduction to some of the elements that exist as well as some techniques for using the elements in ways you may not have though of. If you really just want to look at pictures of various elements, you can find images of just about everything that exists over on BrickLink. The site isn't the most user friendly, but if you go to the catalog tab, and then in the center of the page you can search buy sets, parts, minifigures, etc. If you click on the parts pulldown menu, you will see every element broken down by category. Click on a category, and then you'll get a list with pictures of every element. Another thing you can do on BrickLink or Brickset is choose a set, then view its part inventory.

I highly recommend downloading LEGO Digital Designer. It is free for both Windows and Mac. It lets you build whatever you want in true LEGO fashion, and it comes with almost every catalog piece imaginable (except for specific mini fig elements.) It even has a great feature that once you build something, you can export a bill of materials where it lists the item numbers for every piece you used. Very cool software. You are guaranteed to spend hours building it!