7784 - The Batmobile: Ultimate Collectors' Edition

trenty1990

Couple of different question I'm hoping to get answered.

1. Short of counting every piece in the bags, is there somewhere that can tell me how many bags of lego should be in a set?

2. I know collectors would want the most pristine condition box, but if a set had a battered box but sealed bags, would that sway in favour for that set, say against a great condition box but built model?

3. This all leads to my latest find - an absolutely battered and bruised 7784 Batman UCS Batmobile with sealed bags (minus tyres which are loose). I'm reluctant to put this on ebay yet until I can definitely guarantee that this ay full set in the condition, apart from the box, that it would been. Would the tyres be loose like I found them?

Looking onward to hearing your thoughts!

There should be 17 bags (plus the loose tires)

• 1 year later...

So this could be one of those questions that gets me seriously in the doghouse but I'm looking at getting either a 7784 (UCS bat mobile) or 76023.  7784 complete but used is about the same £££ as a brand new 76023 here in the UK.

Anyone have both and wants to comment whats the better build and display?  

In terms of investing value (on a used version of either down the line) I'd be inclined to say 7784 would be the better purchase due to it being less hoarded (just assuming that's the case).  Never seen either in the flesh though but the tumbler does look next level!

The Tumbler is a beast and a very intricate design. I was stunned how big it was when I built it. The tires are massive! It is a great display piece. From an investment aspect I would agree that 76023 has more upside long term. It really comes down to which design you like best. 7784 looks very dated now and not in line with the current approach to Batman and superheroes in general which is the more realistic real world design.

I've built both, and they're both great.  I prefer the Tumbler - it's really an incredible build. 

I also believe the Tumbler has more appreciation left since it hasn't retired yet.

The Tumbler is a beast and a very intricate design. I was stunned how big it was when I built it. The tires are massive! It is a great display piece. From an investment aspect I would agree that 76023 has more upside long term. It really comes down to which design you like best. 7784 looks very dated now and not in line with the current approach to Batman and superheroes in general which is the more realistic real world design.

Thanks guys.  I'm a big fan of the old school batmobile so its a tough choice for me.  Got offered a take it or leave it deal on a used 7784 (marginally below what I was prepared to pay). Jumped on the offer.

Now just need to decide if i treat myself to a tumbler too :)

Thanks guys.  I'm a big fan of the old school batmobile so its a tough choice for me.  Got offered a take it or leave it deal on a used 7784 (marginally below what I was prepared to pay). Jumped on the offer.

Now just need to decide if i treat myself to a tumbler too :)

I think you played that correctly, can't pass on a good deal for a 7784. The Tumbler will be available for a long time.

I think you played that correctly, can't pass on a good deal for a 7784. The Tumbler will be available for a long time.

Cheers - always good to get a second opinion (that agrees with the one I've made).  That being said there's alot of love out there for the tumbler as well - i think this has to be one of the next purchases now.

Just been checking out the "what does your display look like thread": http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/4500-what-do-your-displayscollections-look-like/?page=13 and there's a couple with 7784 on.  I think it displays pretty darn well.  

Still more of an iconic look at the moment then the tumbler if you ask (although give it a bit of time and maybe I'll change my mind).

No arguing with the original either.  It's a beautiful model.  It really looks phenomenal, and it's a fun build.  Agreed it's more iconic too.  No bad answers here, just don't miss the Tumbler!

And with the posts I've just read sounds like there might be a chance on that one!..... Urrgh, too much to buy.  Was going to go for a PS next after my Orthanc debacle but literally cant miss out on the tumbler!

Just on 7784 (and wondering if its indicative to how well the tumbler will do EOL) but this is a set I really just don't get in terms of price appreciation.  For 2 (used of these) I could get 1 (used) bat tank.  I know the tank is a great set but whats holding 7784 back?

Is it the lack of minifigures (& scale) that prevents it from being a "play" set therefore you cant display it along with others?  All the other 2006 BM releases seem to have done at least twice as well (here in the UK) from an investment perspective.  Granted I'm just talking about the used ones (as MSIB are like gold dust here).

Is there anything obvious I'm missing on this one? I cant believe its a supply issue (although of all the early BM sets this is the one that has the most listings this side of the pond).  Or is it that my observations are like that of a blind man :)

Anyway,  no regrets on the purchase (still waiting for it to be delivered) but still quite happy that i got a complete one at just over 2 x what it was selling for back in '06.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...