TLMPS - The LEGO Movie Promotional Set

Greedoshotfirst

I've noticed a few of these promo tins floating around on ebay that include 9 figures from the movie, a little theater set & a tin.

They seem to be going for like $300+ per set. I'm wondering if these would have some long term value at that price? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one but am curious if its a good call or bad?

Many thanks for any insight.

I guess it all depends on the figures but if I recall correctly aren't they all available in current sets?

You're  correct, all of the minifigs in the set are indeed sold either as CMF's or in LEGO Movie sets. The only real exclusive part of this is the backsplash that says "LEGO movie" and the metal tin itself. I don't really know that this would be worth dropping 300 dollars on...

• 3 months later...

Over the last few months, I've been able to scoop up a number of these promo tins at good prices because I have ties to the movie industry. Does anyone have any further opinions on the longterm value of this set? Prices on ebay have been all over the place because there aren't many available. It sells for anywhere between $350 and $1000, plus there is one inexplicable sale for $2500. (There must have been something else going on in that instance.)

The minifigs aren't exclusive (unless you count Vitruvius with white legs instead of robes), but there are nine of them and includes most of the main characters and Batman. The model itself uses all common pieces except the cardboard "The Lego Movie" theater backdrop. The real desirability seems to be that it's super-rare, a cool display piece, and comes in nice commemorative packaging that is worth displaying right along with the model.

Any insight is appreciated. I'm not sure whether I should flip a few immediately to offset the cost, or just sit on all of them.

You could flip one to me!  (Been trying to track one down at non-extortion prices for a while, but no luck)

What would you consider a non-extortion price? I'd be willing to let go of one if I can make a moderate profit, and that's certainly easier without going through Feebay. 

I've got one I want to flip, but I want to keep it more than I want to flip it.  Good dilemma!

That "dilemma" is my guiding principle on the investing side.  That is, only invest in stuff to flip that I really would want for myself.  This gets tricky when I reach the intersection of Investment Street and Collection Avenue, but it's still a good bedrock principle to have.  (In the case of this promo set, I'm trying to obtain one purely for my collection)

• Like 1