9446 - Destiny's Bounty

Doofy McGee

We all know, or have at least heard by now that ships tend to do well as investments after they are retired. Does this set enter that category? Or is it too much of a "kids' set" as it is part of the Ninjago theme. Plus of course the fact that the jury is still out on Ninjago in general as a good investment.

Thanks LegoPodcaster. When you say you only own a few Ninjago sets, is that because you are not sold on the theme yet? Or is it just that you haven't bought the sets yet? I am still trying to decide how I feel about Ninjago as a whole. It is a cool theme, but it is geared more towards children, and as we all know, children have short attention spans. Lol.

We all know, or have at least heard by now that ships tend to do well as investments after they are retired. Does this set enter that category? Or is it too much of a "kids' set" as it is part of the Ninjago theme. Plus of course the fact that the jury is still out on Ninjago in general as a good investment.

I'm not quite sure the jury is still out......most if not all people agree that those little ninjas are investment winners.

If this set goes up. I don't feel it's because of ship collectors. Only if it's a ship collector that collects all ships. It's because it's Ninjago and it's a fun playable theme that they can't get anymore. Gotta wait for EOL!!! It will do good in the secondary market, because the ship looks cool and it's a freakin' Dragon ship for Christ Sakes!!! Who wouldn't want that?!?!? Comes with 6 Minifigs. Lord Garmadon and Sensei Wu are in this Set which I feel will keep the set desirable. And that's my two cents on it. Oh and I believe the ship also flies.

I'm staring at 4 of them on clearance at Walmart right now. $54/ea

Too bad none of the Wal-marts around here have them.

And it's highly improbable they would be on clearance as well even if they did. It seems each Wal-Mart decides on their own what is to be clearanced and what isn't. Corporate really doesn't tell the individual stores what to place on the clearance rack or what price to set. The store manager does that.

I've seen clearance items at wal-Mart that were priced only a $1 less than the original sticker....and some that were prices well over 75% off. It's a crap shoot no matter how you look at it.

You just have to be at the right store at the right time......like mmatthie must have been........so snag 'em if you can.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, did a quick search but didn`t find any threads relating specifically to the investment potential of 9446. Only a couple of "should I buy/deal threads." If there is one that I missed, I`m sorry and please correct it  :thumbsup:

Ok, anyway, I`m curious about the future of this set, if the title isn`t a give away. It seem to have flattened out just under the $150, but my question is, will it go even higher this year? It`s a really nice looking set, and I`ve managed to (hopefully, will know for sure tomorrow) get one sealed for MSRP. Could it hit $200 realistically by Christmas? I`ve read that it is no longer prominent in the show, personally I`m not familiar with it so no way for me to know, but would appreciate anyone`s opinions on it. Thanks!

I've got a sealed on the way we are planning on opening... As a Ninjago house, I think $200 is reasonable. The kids love it but yeah it's not in any of the new episodes and I refused to pay over $150. Got it for $186 with shipping from the US and I think that was pretty good.

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker

Thanks guys! It`s a neat looking set and I think at $80 there is a decent gain to be had, even if it doesn`t climb much higher/at all. 

I'm skeptical on where further growth comes from on this line. The new sets seem like they should bring a boost, but many of these have climbed pretty high. This set in particular is cool, but not epic enough in my mind compared to the POTC ships. $200 by Christmas I'm taking the under.

Good point. POTC is far more iconic and the growth we`ve seen there really is understandable. DB I think is driven moreso by the fan base and it`s unique look from other Lego ships. Even though it does seem to have levelled off, it has already gone up quite a bit since last year. Fair enough on the under  :thumbsup:

I've got a sealed on the way we are planning on opening... As a Ninjago house, I think $200 is reasonable. The kids love it but yeah it's not in any of the new episodes and I refused to pay over $150. Got it for $186 with shipping from the US and I think that was pretty good.

Oh man, if you had waited just a bit longer you could have bought mine for a bit cheaper  :laugh: Just kidding  :thumbsup: Have fun building it with the family, it`s supposed to be a really solid build and well, we already know how awesome it looks!