What LEGO set(s) are you piecing together from bulk.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Town Hall in now complete and bagged up. Everything in in nice shape so I'll keep this one. Ready to be built again when I find space/time.

Now, I've started pulling together all my loose instructions I've acquired over the years from bulk to catalog for some future building. they're scattered over several boxes. I'm looking for ideas on how you guys store/catalog your instructions. I'm thinking maybe 3-ring binders for the important ones.

On February 24, 2017 at 11:39 AM, MarleyMoose said:

I'm thinking maybe 3-ring binders for the important ones.

3 hole punching is going to degrade the value of the instructions. Binders are great, just don't attach to the rings. I personally haven't done any sorting about this, but I'm in a similar boat where it's probably time. If I were going to go sort my manuals, I'd probably sort by Lot #, and then by Set # within each Lot. Then into a filing cabinet with the divisions made by file folders. That's dependant on having a filing cabinet with space in it of course ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarleyMoose said:

From bulk? Great lot! Show some pics when you can..

Actually, just seeing how close I can get with the hundred pounds of bulk I hadn't done anything with. I got stalled after I got through the easy pieces that I had already sorted, Frankly, going through the rest of the boxes is somewhat intimidating.

12 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

3 hole punching is going to degrade the value of the instructions. Binders are great, just don't attach to the rings. I personally haven't done any sorting about this, but I'm in a similar boat where it's probably time. If I were going to go sort my manuals, I'd probably sort by Lot #, and then by Set # within each Lot. Then into a filing cabinet with the divisions made by file folders. That's dependant on having a filing cabinet with space in it of course ;) 

They make those plastic sleeves that go into 3-Ring binders,one could slide the instructions into them.

28 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

They make those plastic sleeves that go into 3-Ring binders,one could slide the instructions into them.

True, that could work as well. I'm typically as frugal as possible with this sort of stuff since it all subtracts from the bottom line. I've got a couple hundred manuals to sort. Not sure how much they cost for say a 10-pack, in my case I'd need at least a few (packs) ;) 

On 2/24/2017 at 2:39 PM, MarleyMoose said:

The Town Hall in now complete and bagged up. Everything in in nice shape so I'll keep this one. Ready to be built again when I find space/time.

Now, I've started pulling together all my loose instructions I've acquired over the years from bulk to catalog for some future building. they're scattered over several boxes. I'm looking for ideas on how you guys store/catalog your instructions. I'm thinking maybe 3-ring binders for the important ones.

I have this for most of my instructions
http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-medium-letter-file-box-black/-/A-13682075

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

I'd never punch holes in the instructions. 

6 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

That is what I was thinking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, MarleyMoose said:

Pulled out some Star Wars bulk to inventory, clean, complete and bad up to sell. The 7662 MTT is up first. Yes, I have yet another 6211 ISD. 

I wound up with some parts for 6211 recently including some stickered pieces like the Emperor. Hit me up if you wind up needing some stuff, I might be able to help you out. I got nowhere near enough parts to complete one.

• Like 1

I had gotten a 7778 Midi Millenium Falcon sometime early last year, and it was about 75% complete.  I BL'd what I needed, and started putting it together the other night....

Only to discover I did a crappy job of inventorying it - or a crappy job of putting pieces I bought with the set.  (The one curved railroad track I had in the bag leaves me to believe it might be the latter).

So, I'm not quite done with it.  Back to Bricklink!

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

I had gotten a 7778 Midi Millenium Falcon sometime early last year, and it was about 75% complete.  I BL'd what I needed, and started putting it together the other night....

Only to discover I did a crappy job of inventorying it - or a crappy job of putting pieces I bought with the set.  (The one curved railroad track I had in the bag leaves me to believe it might be the latter).

So, I'm not quite done with it.  Back to Bricklink!

Makes me feel the need to go back and inventory the sets I am currently working on.

I recently scrapped my attempts to reassemble 6209 Slave I, 8092 Luke's Landspeeder, and 70814 Emmet's Construct-O-Mech. I decided that I was missing too many weird parts from Slave I, the Landspeeder wasn't worth the time I had put into it so far or the parts to complete it. the Construct-O-Mech didn't feel like it had enough value without minifigures to make it worth completing. I also decided not to pursue the 9500 Sith Fury Interceptor that I found chunks of in a box. I thought that the plates would help me with some other sets that I am working on.

The sets I am trying to complete include:

7669 Anakin's Jedi Starfighter X2

8095 General Grievous Starfighter

7674 V-19 Torrent

7751 Ahsoka's Fighter

8018 AAT

8019 Republic Attack Shuttle

8036 Separatist shuttle

8037 Anakin's Y-Wing X2

8088 ARC-170

8089 hoth Wampa Cave

7665 republic Cruiser

and a few others I can't remember right now. To make it worse on me, I am trying to accumulate parts for builds for my personal collection. 10215 Jedi Starfighter, 10225 R2-D2, 10240 Red 5, 75055 Star Destroyer, 75054 AT-AT, 9493 X-Wing, 9492 TIE Fighter, 75050 B-Wing, 8039 Venator Cruiser and 75049 Snowspeeder. I know that most of those aren't super expensive, but after writing about what makes certain sets harder to build out of bulk, I thought I'd take a whack at some of these sets out of my own bulk.

• Like 1

I'd rather post here than do more work in the office.

Just finished and not counting mini-figures as any gauge of completion cause many have heads or torso's missing.

* Mos Eisley 75052 - missing zero pieces, at least that I can remember
* Desert Skirff 9496 - Missing 3 pieces, the two back larger brown ones and one clear piece for the stand
* Tie Advanced Prototype 75082 - Missing 1 piece, the top hatch
* The Phatom 75048 - missing zero pieces

*Working on 7965 - just started book 2.  so far so good

Then there are another 10-15 or so sets in the lot ranging from small to medium builds (Monsters 9468, I know I have 1/2 of kylo ren's ship, Ninja house 70728,  down to some ninja saucer things and racers).  I would guess that I got more instructions than what is in there based on the mini-figures or parts of mini-figures included, but I'm hopeful I can complete a bunch more.  All for $100 which was pretty awesome.

I'm debating on parting out the falcon or selling it as is when done. I already have one for myself and after paying myself about a quarter per hour I'll be able to break even on this bulk lot fairly easily and move onto the next one.

• Like 3

7180 B-Wing  I'm starting to pull apart and put back together some older SW sets for a potential buyer. He's looking for some sets to put together with his 5 year old son. I bought a big used lot years ago that remained untouched until now. 

20170506_133254_resized.jpg

Edited by MarleyMoose

• 3 months later...