Future Marine looking into Long Term Investment

Hey, all! I recently got into the idea of Lego investing and have been doing extensive amounts of research. Essentially, I've sold my soul to the US Marine Corps, and after my contract is up I plan on taking a year or so to do some traveling. I already have started putting money aside and plan to continue to do so for the remainder of my five year contract, and though this may leave me with a healthy sum to fall back on, I recently stumbled upon the idea of LEGO investing and thought that some long term investments may give me a substantial boost to my travel funds. 

My plan is this: I'm currently employed at  LEGO store, which offers me a small discount on lego sets. (won't disclose which one, hope you understand.) However, I will only be employed there for a month or two longer, as my report date is rapidly approaching. My thought is that I might be able to purchase some sets now while I can afford them, and store them away for five years while I complete my service. (A definite long term investment). In the Corps I doubt I'll have the time or diligence required for any form of short term investment, or even long term investments of two years or shorter (because of the likely travel while I'm in, it will be difficult to ship sets from my planned storage location). 

However, I am a novice at this entire thing. Should my plan be altered? Is a five year long term investment not viable, and if so, for what reasons? What sets being currently produced should I be interested in for a five year engagement, and why? These are the questions I seek to find answers to on these forums. I've been skulking around for a few days now trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible, hopefully some of you can provide me with even more. In a day or two I'll probably be posting more in depth lists and information as to what sets I'm keeping an eye on and what sets I currently own. Hopefully my current place of employment may help me to shed light on what rumors are floating around regarding currently produced sets, hopefully I can prove as helpful to you as I hope you will be to me. 

Cheers, 
  Tokyo.

First of all.  Thanks for your soon to be service.  Don't look it so much as selling your soul but more the highest rewards demand the highest commitments.  Just always try to be positive and make the best of situations and all will be well.   I have been at it for 8 years now and can't imagine doing anything else.  Yes there are times that have sucked hard....but there have been many times when its been "I can't believe I get paid to do this!"

And with that I will get off the soapbox :P.

Welcome to Brickpicker.

As for investing, as has been said.  Focus on the larger exclusive sets as they have the most room to grow.  Anything that retires in the next 1 to 2 years should be golden, although that's the hard part is figuring when retirement is coming.

• Like 1

Lol. I've only been a member of this forum for about 5 minutes myself but I think I would avoid the Death Star.

With the somewhat increasing rumors of eol on the DS, someone who goes all in on it now with a five year plan could stand to make big money. Of course the risk is greater.

Its all in the risk vs. reward that you are comfortable with.

• Like 2

Best wishes and good on you for wanting to help protect your country...but dont believe everything they are gonna tell you!!

Im a firm believer that jumping into a collection when its at its peak never goes well investment wise, but who knows, this could be the one and only collectible to prove the theory wrong.

In any case, the only sets i feel have any investment value are the superheroes sets. Its the comic guys that will boost their value, in my opinion, and they love there "first" issues, so my recommadition is to purchase any sets that comes with the first minifig of that character. May work, may not, just make sure u enjoy collecting!!

Best of luck!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Brickpicker mobile app

Okay, so I've been steadily compiling a list of sets that I have in stock at my store I want to be sure to pick up, let me know what you guys think. What should be removed/added? (If theres a better place on this forum to post this list, let me know that too!) 

For sure buys: 
-Sopwith Camel
-VW Van
-Grand Emporium
-Tower Bridge
-R2 D2

Maybe? looking for feedback.
-Orthanc
-Back to the Future Delorean
-Winter Village 
-Architecture Studio
-Eiffel Tower

I'm also curious as to what you guys might think of the Disney Princess line being valuable four-five years from now. Depending on the future of the line and possible discontinuations of certain princesses (or possibly the entire theme, who knows what could happen in five years) I feel like sets like Merida, Rapunzel's Creative Tower, and Cinderella's Castle might be valuable in five years time (especially if the Brave and Tangled sets get replaced in later years by newer princesses) 

I also have a pretty large Star Wars minifig and Marvel minifig collection I've been amassing a side effect of my personal lego purchases; is this stuff you guys think might be valuable later on? I wonder if perhaps now that Clone Wars is cancelled the Clone Wars-based figs might be valuable within the next couple years.