Modular houses - building tips & inspirations

TheOrcKing

Guest eightbrick

I'm salivating over snaillads Avenue Saint-Jacques.  Instructions are on ebay for $30 which is a gimme considering that this MOC is 13 thousand bricks.  This goes on my xmas list for next year.  

Yeah, he/she's an excellent MOCer. I love his California hotel, and the scale which he can approach things is amazing.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After taking a more thorough look through JANGBRiCKS channel, I came across these nice little venues for his custom cityscape. Honestly, it didn't even cross my mind to build a house using a small 16x16 area but I must say these did stick out for me with all their tiny details.

Hut's Pizza Parlor

Mystic Gem Store

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was originally going to go on here and post the question of had anyone actually tried building the inspirational model shown in the back of the original instruction manual but after some heavy browsing I found this Brickshelf Gallery, a Eurobricks thread with an LDD file, and someone else's own alternative MOC. Actually, I still feel like asking has anyone tried building this at all if anything just to see how it would look in their own city. Soooo ....have you?

10182_3.png

• Like 1

Looks really nice.  Any modular street MOC usually needs more housing/residences.  Can't wait to eventually get a couple Petshops and attempt to change the frontage a bit and experiment.   

*I'm not a builder so haven't done any big sets or modulars...GE will be my first 'big' build soon. 

Rise from your grave! :lol: Been a while since I saw this beauty. On a semi related note, I thought about turning the Downtown Bakery into an actual corner modular similar to this. Actually, I thought about turning each of the Friends stores into their own little modular. I've been in a 'modular mood' as of late. Ha.

• Like 1

That actually looks pretty cool, but it is a little overwhelming with the pinks and purples.  If you look at the High School or Olivia's House, there's a lot more white and tan in the mix.

I've considering doing the Haunted House in "Friends" style.  Could be interesting, if done right.

• 1 month later...

The same person who did the straight section modified Palace Cinema was also behind these 7346 Seaside House and 60047 Police Station turned modular MOCs. Darn, he beat me to modularizing the Seaside House but then again I do have something different in mind for my idea. The Police Station may not look so good beside the official modular sets but I must say it fits nicely with more modern designs.

7346 Seaside House modular MOD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/106014156@N08/sets/72157639928609695/

60047 Police Station MOD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/106014156@N08/sets/72157644947118652/

Do you know if he only used the bricks of one set for the 7346 ?

I remember when he posted the topic on Eurobricks, he said he mainly used the pieces from the two sets he purchased plus an additional hundred or so parts between more medium blue bricks, various tiles, red slopes for the roof, and bits for the furnishings.

I used the two sets and about 100 additional medium blue bricks (1x1, 1x2 and 1x4), lots of tiles, the parts for the interior and additional red slopes for the roof.

I love the alternate versions of sets, only using bricks which are included.

I personally enjoy the challenge of creating an alternate design and know a couple people on Eurobricks who are pretty good at that. You may have already seen my combination alternate of the Log Cabin using three of the set and only the parts included. Now I am going for something using three or four of the Seaside House. I already came up with a design using three of the Small Cottage but I only have two of that set at the moment.