Modular houses - building tips & inspirations

TheOrcKing

For a change of pace, here by the lovely Kristel is a modular conversion review on the Kwik-E-Mart. While she does go over the main model including bag contents (good resource for that other topic), the main focus here are the different attempts made of turning the official set into a modular style house using only the parts featured (with the exception of two 1x2 Technic bricks). You won't find direct instructions on how to build any specifically though but I believe these make some great inspirations.

What are people's thoughts on the Mocs without stairs between floors. It does make it a lot easier and free up some more space but does take anything away. When designing on ldd I always put stairs

An alternative could be a simple ladder from one floor to the other. I know a handful of people who do not bother with furnishing the inside of a home if it is merely for display and/or you cannot see into the place all that well anyway but it feels odd to me having a house not filled in (unless it is meant to be abandoned or a rental property waiting for a tenant). Plus I enjoy the challenge each gives. I mean it was difficult but I did manage to come up with a two floor 'spite house' out of three Small Cottages which took all of a 8x16 space and it has a row of stairs.

There also is the revolving staircase that uses little room you see in a number of the official modular house sets.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who have been following this topic for a while may remember there was a general "How to" guide in the main post. Well the last forum conversion seemed to have lost the data and images from that leaving a couple sentences cutoff and a lot of empty space. Anyway I finally managed to fix up that guide with the correct pictures and such so anyone in need of some help getting started with their own modular house, hopefully the brief guide will give a good start in the right direction.

• Like 2

Funny I found this because I was just thinking the other day what would the Cafe Corner look like in a different color or (jokingly) perhaps as a Friends set? Well, whatever the reason, enjoy the 'pinkitude' and cuteness of the "Lovely Hotel". :biggrin:

Here is the page on LegoGenre for this special MOC.

The builder's original page and brickshelf gallery.

Revisiting the first page I saw this awesome MOC that combines LEGO friends with modulars...

Having been to Japan recenty together with the sign "HOTEL" this makes me think of a love hotel ^.^

so this truly is amazing! but I'd say that this is the wrong thread for it as it in no way is a modular (and inspiration could be anything...)

we have an architecture thread though don't we? I think putting this there would be a better idea, not just because it belongs there but also to "push" the thread up a little bit again.