9492 - TIE Fighter

Jeff Mack

I'm not sure what they could really do differently with a remake, so soon after this one.

I mean it's such a simple shape. Unless they brought out a UCS/larger version or something which is very unlikely.

Maybe a small UCS like the obi-wan jedi starfighter (set 10215) ?

Otherwise yes, this 9492 is great, solid and will be not that easy to be improved (wings are great, but the upper side of the cockpit would need a different shape to look less cubic).

So why did they put blue in the TIEs ? I thought it was weird when I played the LEGO SW games back in the day but then I realized the actual sets had blue as well

Since the very first lego tie fighter (sets 7150 in 1999 and then 7146 in 2001, source: http://brickset.com/sets?query=tie%20fighter

I was wondering as to why (NOT when) they put blue on LEGO TIEs to begin with ? I did not rememember seeing any blue on any TIEs in the SW movies or in the XWing / TIE Fighter PC Games.

All I can think of is that Lego traditionally has tried to have some colour in their sets so that there's some playability and enjoyment of the bricks beyond just making the set from the instructions. So seeing an all black and grey ship they decided to play with it a bit. Back then, the sets weren't as insanely detailed and true to form as they are now. Even the Space lego sets I grew up with, while orginally mostly grey, still had some colour in them. 

Out of the remakes, this was the first version done without any blue bricks. I never understood why TIEs had blue bricks to begin with in LEGO world

I know I am in the minority here, but I actualy LIKED LEGO taking a little bit of their own flavor and adding some colors to the original toys. I assume their reasoning was simply, "What, an all grey ship? How boring." - So they added the black/blue palette. I actually have a little bit of love for some of these old sets precisely for this reason, I thought the changes were fun and cool and interesting. I still knew it was a Tie Fighter. :)

I was wondering as to why (NOT when) they put blue on LEGO TIEs to begin with. I did not rememember seeing any blue on any TIEs in the SW movies or in the XWing / TIE Fighter PC Games.

Oh yes, sorry.

Well, (my two cents) I think it's because 15 years ago there were not (that much) AFOLs and legos were designed for kids so it would have been more fun to have some colors included in the spaceships to make them more appealing. Red bricks would have been too much "flashy" and blue bricks might have been considered as a good compromise...

Again, only my two cents...

I know I am in the minority here, but I actualy LIKED LEGO taking a little bit of their own flavor and adding some colors to the original toys. I assume their reasoning was simply, "What, an all grey ship? How boring." - So they added the black/blue palette. I actually have a little bit of love for some of these old sets precisely for this reason, I thought the changes were fun and cool and interesting. I still knew it was a Tie Fighter. :)

I appreciate the explanations from both of you and they made sense.

Back when I played LEGO SW PC games (without building or even aware of the actual sets), the blue on TIEs was weird because it was the only line of ships that LEGO took the liberty on. It looked jarring since they did not put the primary colors on other 1 tone ships (like yellow on MF or green on the Destroyers for example).

the previous one dating back to 2001.

nope, you forgot the 7263 in 2005

Which was just a rerelease of the one in 2001 minus pieces for a display stand to show off the spaceship with and included a Darth Vader minifigure wielding a light-up lightsaber. Same model but different minifigures and the latter lacks a display stand.

Yes sir orc :) but this is about availability and "visibility" (in the lego catalog/shop), so a "brand new set" (even if it includes nearly the same spaceship) has been once again "in the limelight" in 2005.

This is what I was pointing at.

And because we were talking about EOL of sets, I thought it was important to underline the fact that there is not a new Tie-fighter set :) every 11 years.

2001 => 2012

2001 => 2005 => 2012

• Like 1

Yes sir orc :) but this is about availability and "visibility" (in the lego catalog/shop), so a "brand new set" (even if it includes nearly the same spaceship) has been once again "in the limelight" in 2005.

This is what I was pointing at.

And because we were talking about EOL of sets, I thought it was important to underline the fact that there is not a new Tie-fighter set :) every 11 years.

2001 => 2012

2001 => 2005 => 2012

Good point. On a side note, I wonder if the 2005 release was exclusive to any store at the time or had general availability. I can only vaguely remember seeing it at Walmart.

Far as remakes go, I could see Lego going for any of the other TIE craft before redoing this one like Vader's Advanced Fighter or the Interceptor. Other than the fact this last TIE Fighter was recently retired, there isn't much left to improve upon unless Lego will try going for some slimmer cheaper approach using less bricks, new techniques, and so on.

the new version of Tie should come with the new movie, which gives Lego less reason to remake another existing Tie, so would this be the last non-exclusive Tie we see for a long time? If the same theory holds true maybe it's the time to stock up the existing x-wing as well.

That's an interesting thought. With the new movies and the whole SW saga moving on, I wonder if any of these old ships will ever get a remake.

They will have plenty of new ships to bring out and then update, with the possibility of even more new movies coming down the road in the future. I imagine Disney will milk this whole SW franchise til it's dry.

That's an interesting thought. With the new movies and the whole SW saga moving on, I wonder if any of these old ships will ever get a remake.

They will have plenty of new ships to bring out and then update, with the possibility of even more new movies coming down the road in the future. I imagine Disney will milk this whole SW franchise til it's dry.

I can almost guarantee a "Rebels" tie fighter or a new trilogy tie fighter will be released in the next couple years.

Hope sometime in the future they update the Interceptor and Bomber versions of the TIE, just to complete the fleet. Plan to unload mine at Christmas, crossing my fingers it hits $100 by then.

I would love for them to build them to this scale too for sure. The 9492 is a nice build and matches well with the Xwing, the Ywing, etc. that have been out the past couple of years.

The partial picture of the Inquisitor's Tie advanced in the background looks like the classic Tie Fighter. Maybe we'll see a remake after all. I had forgotten about Rebels. If it is even half the hit Clone Wars was then there will certainly be a new version sometime. Which could make for a situation sort of like Wolverine's Chopper and the new X-men set. The new x-men set has not slowed the growth in the chopper set. Some people might want to buy the just retired Tie to get it and the classic figures rather than the cartoon version and whatever figures it comes with. In any case I rarely hold sets longer than 2 years so my Ties will be gone in a little over a year.

The golden rule for Star Wars is to get iconic sets from the Original trilogy, and there are few things more iconic than a Tie Fighter. The Falcon, an X-wing, Death Star, and a Star Destroyer are about it. X-wings have been remade every other year it seems, the Falcon and Star Destroyer not far behind, and the Death Star is still out and very expensive. Whereas the Tie Fighter has only been done twice before, but this one is the only good one that truly recreates the ship, and its also the only one of these sets that has not had an ultimate version. They only did the Interceptor for whatever reason. The moment I saw this set I knew it was going to be solid. Just a matter of how many I could get on discount. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like the TIE fighter as it is iconic and instantly recognised, yet is not remade as regularly as x wing and MF. 9492 looks like a good mid term winner as it is well made and look like the movie set. One of best lego star wars set for display, play and investment.