Martian Manhunter Minifigure Thoughts?

Piece_Out_Studios

Pictures of the official Martian Manhunter Minifigure have surfaced. I guess somebody finally opened one. But as one can easily tell, it looks to be made in China. The quality isn't normal LEGO standard. I can't say I'm thrilled about this. It makes it looks more cheap and custom. Overall though, I adore the design. It makes me drool just looking at it. This will go great alongside my Batman(s), Superman(s), Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Flash. If rumors are true we will soon see a Green Lantern Minifigure (New 52 version) too. Any other thoughts?

post-33703-0-65432000-1392916378.jpg

How can you tell the quality is bad from that picture? Or that it was made in China?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Was wondering the same thing. Please educate us so we can all be more knowledgable. Thank you...

There are a few things, like the matt sheen and transparency of the plastic. Those things usually gives it away. If you have a figure to make sure it's made from China, turn it upside down and look under the foot. If you don't see © LEGO they are Chinese-made. The figures in general have a different appearance. They look cheaper, usually because they are. Observe this photo: One is Chinese, one is Danish...'' target='_blank'>One is Chinese, one is Danish...>One is Chinese, one is Danish...

I suppose there is no absolute way of knowing until I get a physical figure, but if I were a betting man I would place a lot of money that it is a figure made in China.

There are a few things, like the matt sheen and transparency of the plastic. Those things usually gives it away. If you have a figure to make sure it's made from China, turn it upside down and look under the foot. If you don't see © LEGO they are Chinese-made. The figures in general have a different appearance. They look cheaper, usually because they are. Observe this photo: One is Chinese, one is Danish...'' target='_blank'>One is Chinese, one is Danish...>One is Chinese, one is Danish...

I suppose there is no absolute way of knowing until I get a physical figure, but if I were a betting man I would place a lot of money that it is a figure made in China.

So this concerns me.  How can you tell the difference between LEGO made in China and reasonably well made knock-off from China ?

Are you saying the MM figs that LEGO will be selling are "knockoffs" without any official lego branding on the figures?

Not at all. And not meaning to be nit picky, but LEGO technically isn't selling them, they are promotional figures that are tacked on all orders from the LEGO Shop. They will be LEGO minifigures, but there are many minifigures now that are made in China (or at least the plastic is molded in China). This appears to be a minifigure, based on the current evidence of pictures, that this minifigure was made from plastic molded in China, not Denmark. They are not knockoffs, as LEGO is producing them. They are however not the quality Chinese minifigures. This shouldn't affect the price for the secondary market, as few people care and don't even realize they already have them. I believe Wonder Woman is a Chinese manufactured figure. For more info on Chinese minifigures and minifigure parts, check out this article: http://brickset.com/article/2332

maybe just a crappy Chinese camera?  seriously though can someone tell me why people are getting worked up over this guy, don't know much beyond the basic superheroes.

That should answer your question some. But to expound, he was a founding member of the Justice League when it was first created in the comics. He was known as the heart and soul of the team because of his desire to help the people of Earth, even though they are not his people. The TV series Justice League and Justice League Unlimited featured him as a main member of the Justice League, so comic book fans and DC AFOLs, this character is coveted. It's an easy $30 probably in a couple months.

The only thing about him is his weakness to.. get ready for it... FIRE.  The baddies in the clip would have been better off fighting him with torches :)

Even though I love the JL / JLU cartoon series, I think Martian was the most underused character in the entire run of the series.  The writers liked to focus on other team members even though MM was part of the original JL casts.

end fanboy rant ;)

• Like 1

The only thing about him is his weakness to.. get ready for it... FIRE.  The baddies in the clip would have been better off fighting him with torches :)

Even though I love the JL / JLU cartoon series, I think Martian was the most underused character in the entire run of the series.  The writers liked to focus on other team members even though MM was part of the original JL casts.

end fanboy rant ;)

Didn't they upgrade him to having weakness only to superpowers kind of fire?

I don't recall that.  I remember they said it was psychological fear due to seeing his planet and family burned down.

depends on the storyline I guess. I was reading this on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_Manhunter#Weakness

When you have multiple authors across such long period of time, it is hard to maintain consistency

Minifigs coming from China don't have the usual black marking on the neck, and also have an indentation on the inside of the arms.  I believe they still have all the appropriate Lego branding, because they are still official Lego and not a knock off.

All of the CMF figures are made in China, so if you have any you can see the differences there.

I've been critical in the past about the Chinese made minifigures, but I guess it's just a sign of the times that more things are made in China.  The biggest issue I have is varying joint strength (some figures have very still legs, others are really loose), and color reproduction on the plastic.