Star Wars Microfighters

kunfuzd

So I just built 4 of the 6 Microfighters - I didn't grab the Xwing or the AAT because I hate them so much at the moment. Ill wait for inevitable clearance on them.

What does everyone think? I personally miss the planet series. I don't hate these though - they are somewhat interesting and I definitely see the appeal for children.

bp_1393251007__2014-02-24_080012.jpg

bp_1393251019__2014-02-24_080026.jpg

bp_1393251031__2014-02-24_080031.jpg

bp_1393251045__2014-02-24_080037.jpg

bp_1393251057__2014-02-24_080049.jpg

So I just built 4 of the 6 Microfighters - I didn't grab the Xwing or the AAT because I hate them so much at the moment. Ill wait for inevitable clearance on them.

What does everyone think? I personally miss the planet series. I don't hate these though - they are somewhat interesting and I definitely see the appeal for children.

I think appeal to children is the key phrase here.  My kids will dig them, one minigfig and one little vehicle, you can't really go wrong.  They liked the planets, but there wasn't a place for the minifig to drive the vehicle.  Plus, at this pricepoint you can use them as bribes/rewards for chores, etc.

• Like 3

I'm in the Nay camp.  Won't buy to build, collect, invest, nothing.  I didn't like them when pictures came out, I don't like them seeing them built.  While the Planets themselves were pretty dumb, the little mini builds were nice iterations of their full size counterparts.  I think if they had done this with these, and not made the figure ride the mini build, they would take to me a little better. 

I got all (via TRU BOGO) except the AAT as I hate using those when playing SW Battlefront II. They have their charm and a good conversation starter due to their uniqueness. Also, it is easier to take 5 minutes break and play around with mini MF vs SD instead of their system couterparts. Plus over the weekend I saw probably the best use of it, as a birthday cake topper. :)

So, yay for collecting, wait and see for investing

• Like 4

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I just see them as a gimmick Lego created to sell cheap figs for high prices. Not sure about the investment potential yet.

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker

Isn't that the principle behind all of those Clone Wars sets ? Hmm, what would make people spend $120 on this blue monstrosity that only appeared in a few episodes of season 1...?? Oh I know, put a General Grievous and a unique Padme in it :D :D

• Like 1

They seem to be selling well at all locations I go to. I think you are right in that younger fans will be picking these up as well as completionists.

The Falcon was sold out everywhere.

It could be a gem if it does well and kids rip them open, and Lego has a limited production run to be on the safe side.

As a SW fan and a LEGO fan, I think these are awesome. Every SW fan I've shown them too also thinks they are awesome. They sit nicely on a shelf and a little easier to display then the Planets series (which I also like), because your eye is focused on the whole thing. They just look "fun". The kids I've shown them too also think they are great. I was also impressed with the quality and detail of the build of each set. And even if you think they look too cute, you can simply remove the "pilot" of each ship and the flick guns and they are quite good looking on their own. I think they look sharp completed and on a shelf.

My only gripe is they used a "Generic" X-Wing pilot instead of taking the excuse to use a named pilot that hasn't made an appearance yet.

In terms of investment potential, who knows? I'd like to point out the X-Wing and Tie w/Death star Planet series are both doing just fine, if you bought them for $5-$7. Even Endor with the AT-ST is starting to make some gains. I think at least the 4 Original Series microfighters should do just fine. There is no way they sell for under $15 after retirement, so if you get them at $5 a pop, you're in great shape. 

• Like 1

They seem to be selling well at all locations I go to. I think you are right in that younger fans will be picking these up as well as completionists.

The Falcon was sold out everywhere.

It could be a gem if it does well and kids rip them open, and Lego has a limited production run to be on the safe side.

I Wanted to grab the Falcon just for something fun to build last Friday night. And for the life of me i could not find one, i found every other one in multiple stores except the Falcon. Finally ended up finding the last one in stock on the shelf in a Lego store, which was packed with kids riffling through these and bringing up their allowances to purchase them, it was cute :D

It's a fun little thing to fiddle with on my desk, and certainly has that "Chubby" look and feel to it as others have pointed out.

Might end up getting a few others, but the Clone Tank and AAT don't appeal to me.

The millenium falcon is nice, han solo is cute, it's ok for display with the x-wing, but the other sets... erf. Not fond of.

For investments you could consider only if you take all of these sets (6 for the wave 1). Don't have to bother by taking some randmoly (expected for the millenium because if someone wants it, he has to buy a 150$ version, so I think it's ok to have some of these).

A good way to have these sets is with a "buy two have three". In France such sales was avaliable in a general store (auchan).