Return limit at ToysRus (for purchase with receipt)

humanvege

I started this discussion in the daily deals forum today but finally found the right forum for it..

I tried returning some lego i bought at a higher price earlier (with receipt and within their 90 day window).  When the associate rings up the return, the register spits out a message saying "customer's return limit has been reached."  He said he's never seen this on a "with receipt" purchase, although he's seen it on people without receipt trying to use an ID card to return.  I originally paid with a credit card and the system won't refund me.  The supervisor came over and all they can do (or figure out) is to ring up the return as if it is a no-receipt return (without the need to record ID info) so they can give me store credit.

This was for purchases made with an American Express card and I've purchased (and also returned) about 6-7 times in the past four months.  My total purchase was about $3k and total return was about $1k.  Basically every purchase was some large quantities of lego and i'd end up returning some (due to damaged packing or found better deal elsewhere, etc.) 

Does anyone have this experience or know what the "return limit" is?   I asked the associates and they have no idea as this is the first time they've seen this.

This isn't aimed at you, humanvege, and I'm probably among the minority, but I'm glad they're finally doing this. It will become the norm as more and more people abuse the return policies at various retailers. I know, I know, they have a return policy, you're not doing anything wrong, you're the customer, you're always right. Here's the thing, they don't want people buying up every hot set during peak selling opportunities, just so that they can return the rest of the sets they can't sell when the time has passed. Now the retailer is stuck with a bunch of stuff they can't sell for a while when they could have sold it all to end users to begin with. Everyone thinks it's no big deal because they're just one person, but this is going to continue to be a problem as more and more people abuse returns.

• Like 9

This isn't aimed at you, humanvege, and I'm probably among the minority, but I'm glad they're finally doing this. It will become the norm as more and more people abuse the return policies at various retailers. I know, I know, they have a return policy, you're not doing anything wrong, you're the customer, you're always right. Here's the thing, they don't want people buying up every hot set during peak selling opportunities, just so that they can return the rest of the sets they can't sell when the time has passed. Now the retailer is stuck with a bunch of stuff they can't sell for a while when they could have sold it all to end users to begin with. Everyone thinks it's no big deal because they're just one person, but this is going to continue to be a problem as more and more people abuse returns.

Given the way how TRU ships stuff sometimes, I don't see returning damaged due to completely unreasonable packing strategy as something non-ethical. grrr, my vampyre castles... I even ordered multiple. nope, each castle in separate oversized box, with no filling material whatsoever... grrrr

Thats why when I buy Lego on any other Toy that I could return I always pay cash, Toys R Us, target,Walmart it doesn't matter these stores are flagging people who return alot. Toys R Us used to have the best return Policy ever, you could return anything without a receipt as long as they still sold it they would give you cash back. " and now if you return something to Toys R Us without a receipt they will do it the first time, after one time they won't do it. So pay cash.

Given the way how TRU ships stuff sometimes, I don't see returning damaged due to completely unreasonable packing strategy as something non-ethical. grrr, my vampyre castles... I even ordered multiple. nope, each castle in separate oversized box, with no filling material whatsoever... grrrr

I'm not saying that is unethical, however, guess who isn't constantly returning every set that gets a little beat up during shipping? Your average buyer. Sure they don't want a big hole in the box, but they aren't too worried about a damaged corner when little Johnny is just going to open the box on his birthday.

buying 3k legos, returning 1k .. is pretty much abusing the return policy. That means you returned 33% of all legos bought in that period of time. Just think about if you ran a ebay or amazon store and 33% of your customers wanted to return sealed sets they bought from you because they found it cheaper .. how pissed would you be?

• Like 2

Then why do you keep ordering from them? Simple .. dont order from toysarus online .. such petty problems easily fixed.

Then why do you keep ordering from them? Simple .. dont order from toysarus online .. such petty problems easily fixed.

Because I hope they learn from the feedback and organize their shipping in such a way that minimizes returns due to bad shipping practices? Me not buying from them only means lost customer for them. Returning badly damaged sets, with reason for return being "damaged due to bad packaging" hopefully, as a form of feedback, will eventually result in better packaging. Obviously there is a risk that they will introduce more return policy restrictions instead, but I don't see any other way to provide feedback.

• Like 1

MOS is obviously not talking about situations like this. You can thank people who return stuff to get better prices when you can no longer return a damaged lego set.

Thats why when I buy Lego on any other Toy that I could return I always pay cash, Toys R Us, target,Walmart it doesn't matter these stores are flagging people who return alot. Toys R Us used to have the best return Policy ever, you could return anything without a receipt as long as they still sold it they would give you cash back. " and now if you return something to Toys R Us without a receipt they will do it the first time, after one time they won't do it. So pay cash.

They only allow one no receipt return because people abused the hell out of it. Just like how people abuse the walmart no receipt return policy.

MOS is obviously not talking about situations like this. You can thank people who return stuff to get better prices when you can no longer return a damaged lego set.

I don't return much - except to TRU. They price adjust it in store if there is a better deal or a coupon - for some reason my store fully returns it and resells it to me. Weird. But I haven't run into the return limit. However, most everyone at my TRU knows me by name.

I don't think I have ever gone through with returning a lego set for damage outside of the first month I was doing this. I learned quick it just really doesn't make a difference. I have tons of damaged stuff sitting in my house.

Honestly, I almost like for sets to be somewhat damaged. I put that in my listing and then no one complains if USPS beats it up a little bit.

I will say I didn't necessarily see a problem with returning something if you found it elsewhere for a better price - within reason. But Its hard to always consider the big picture. But I guess I can see it ruining return policies for others. Probably going to stay away from that - not really that I did it that much anyway.

<can_of_worms>

Isn't reselling by itself an abuse of some policy at some level (and many people are obviously abusing order limits)? TLG obviously does not cater to resellers (flippers or investors). Big Stores tailor their policies towards average consumers. So, by being a reseller, you are already abusing some policy (or at least its intent, or spirit). But if we consider resellers as being customers too, then I would expect certain level of a customer service, like having sets at least minimally protected against damage during shipping.

</can_of_worms>

Well, that's a new one... one of the castles is missing. Invoice mentions 2, but there is only one set in the box... double-grrrr... and gah!

Well, that's a new one... one of the castles is missing. Invoice mentions 2, but there is only one set in the box... double-grrrr... and gah!

I have had that. They will fix it really quick though.

One time I ordered a bunch of the 9391 cranes. In one box, it came with 4 mini backloaders rather than the crane. I just said the hell with it and kept them. 

I started this discussion in the daily deals forum today but finally found the right forum for it..

I tried returning some lego i bought at a higher price earlier (with receipt and within their 90 day window).  When the associate rings up the return, the register spits out a message saying "customer's return limit has been reached."  He said he's never seen this on a "with receipt" purchase, although he's seen it on people without receipt trying to use an ID card to return.  I originally paid with a credit card and the system won't refund me.  The supervisor came over and all they can do (or figure out) is to ring up the return as if it is a no-receipt return (without the need to record ID info) so they can give me store credit.

This was for purchases made with an American Express card and I've purchased (and also returned) about 6-7 times in the past four months.  My total purchase was about $3k and total return was about $1k.  Basically every purchase was some large quantities of lego and i'd end up returning some (due to damaged packing or found better deal elsewhere, etc.) 

Does anyone have this experience or know what the "return limit" is?   I asked the associates and they have no idea as this is the first time they've seen this.

Around the holidays I wasn't as knowledgeable about how to work TRUs promos, coupons and gift cards to get myself the best deal.  On a Saturday I hit 3 different stores and at every one I would go out to my car and review the receipt and at every one the seasonal employees had rang up the items incorrectly, which the supervisors always say "no problem, we can just return and repurchase".  Over the course of the day they maxed out my TRU credit card with returns, which was the whole point of purchasing on Saturday for the additional discount.  They ran into that return limit as well, but the manager did something to work around it because it was clearly their cashiers fault. 

Maybe you hit a daily return limit?  How much were you returning that day?  I generally don't return much, but I know I've returned at least 2 sets since I got that limit message, and I only use my TRU credit card there.

• 11 months later...

I think a lot of this has to do with people straight up stealing.  They use to just go in the store pick stuff out and go straight to customer service for a gift credit.  I had no idea people did that but I saw an episode of drugs inc where they went store to store getting drug money.  Now they steal the stuff and come back with fake receipt and fake id.

I was at tru this afternoon and a guy was returning a couple hundred minifigure packs.  I went by and told him I hope you got lots of hot dog guy and whomever else you were looking for.  He said he only kept 5 of the nearly 200 he bought.  He was like it makes me feel bad doing it in the store but doing it at home is the way to go. When I was checking out I asked how often they have people returning Lego and the girl said all the time.  She said they put in limits starting February 15th but they she had no idea what the limit was.

Yeah, I really hope there is some way they flag these as different or something.  I've had several transactions where the cashier screwed something up so then returned everything and rerang.  I'm probably flagged as some sort of return menace even though I have returned zero things to TRU.