10231 - Shuttle Expedition

Ed Mack

I picked up 2 of these today for $129 apiece, $30 below local retail at my local K-Mart in Australia. Hopefully this thing has some legs. I had been waiting for them to be discounted, 2 were taken earlier in the week and I left 2 on the shelf. My Lego budget is all dried up now, but I may pull the trigger and get the others if I can sell some of the other sets I have

I just found one of these local for msrp + tax, so about $108, I already have one, is this set worth buying in multiples at the cost of other more discounted sets at this time? I know its EOL'd and it should do ok, hence the one I already have, just curious if its a steal or if I could afford to pass on it. I'd like to get some Sopwith Camels and Camper vans to round out the vehicle model portion of my portfolio, If I got the shuttle, it would take a bite out of what I can do with those.

I just found one of these local for msrp + tax, so about $108, I already have one, is this set worth buying in multiples at the cost of other more discounted sets at this time? I know its EOL'd and it should do ok, hence the one I already have, just curious if its a steal or if I could afford to pass on it. I'd like to get some Sopwith Camels and Camper vans to round out the vehicle model portion of my portfolio, If I got the shuttle, it would take a bite out of what I can do with those.

10231 is a great buy for $108. New, sealed copies are selling for $150-175 on eBay already. I would scoop a couple right now. You still have plenty of time to buy the Sopwith Csmel and VW camper later down the road.

• 1 month later...

Here I am, just a few months into this investing thing, I grabbed a 10231 earlier for about $80, I am considering selling this to grab another 9474 and put some cash back into my pocket, I could make about $60 off of the sale already, after fees ect. I would really like to get more 9474's right now, I can get them for $96 with a bit of work. I guess my question is, do you think that in the LONG term, a 10231 would be worth more than a 9474 Helm's Deep?

I would hold. I think the Shuttle has plenty of room to grow, and until that growth levels of, I think you'd be crazy to sell. I still think Helm's Deep will be somewhat available after June - just because production is finished, there will still be some in supply at retail outlets, so I really think you'll have some time to grab a couple.

I love that shuttle -bought one today in fact. I don't think you can wrong with either set, but the shuttle does appear to be right in that beautiful exponential growth pattern right now, so at least wait for it to level off. AFOL dads are going to want to show their kids what a space shuttle used to be back in the days when we had actual astronauts.

• 1 year later...

Just sold my first one for $299, bought in at $80, I am thinking this could be a $500+ set in a couple more years, I am thinking of holding on to the rest to see where they go. What are you guys doing or have you already sold? I am very hesitant to re-invest because it can take a year or more now just to re-coup selling and shipping fees and even after you have done that, you have no idea how the set will perform. I am sitting on a stack of Helm's Deep's that have gone down in price from where they were 9 months ago and I won't make much at all from. This set has blown way through my costs to sell and now its just adding profit to whenever I do decide to sell, seems it might make sense to jump in on it. I would even watch to buy one at a deal if I could right now and didn't have any already. If you could get one for under $200 somewhere, it would probably still make you money in a few years.

To me it depends on whether you think the new shuttle set due this summer will hurt or help. The summer set is clearly targeted towards kids where this (to me) is targeted towards AFOLs.

People wanting the AFOL version will probably pay more. People who spend lots of money in their kids will probably buy the newer one.

And you know don't forget to think about CAGR blah blah blah.

If you're happy with the return sell. If you think it has more potential hold. If you're a hoarder then put them on a shelf and forget about them forever.

• Like 1

What is the difference between 10213 and 10231?.

The new space sets will impact these the same way the new city fire stations will affect the performance of 10197.

Having built both of them, the difference per se is the structure. The 10231 I believe is more stable. Stable enough for you to handle a lot more without being so fragile. The internal build and the body of the shuttle are different for both.

Both are awesome builds though.

Having built both of them, the difference per se is the structure. The 10231 I believe is more stable. Stable enough for you to handle a lot more without being so fragile. The internal build and the body of the shuttle are different for both.

Both are awesome builds though.

I thought I had read that one of them had some stability issues. I have both in various bulk lots, just waiting until my move is done to assemble them.

Yeah, they are indeed different, and not just by a piece or two, some major structural things were updated in the new shuttle expedition 10231 (the thread title is an error of mine because I call my set the shuttle adventure instead of the expedition). The shuttle adventure 10213 actually looks better IMO, even though both sets are essentially identical, there are several adjustments done that detracted from the finished set slightly. However, the adventure 10213 was pretty poorly designed from a structural standpoint which is what necessitated the re-design into the expedition 10231. In terms of their value, I have been tracking them and neither one has shown a marked difference, there is a lot less inventory of 10213 but there aren't many people that would pay extra for a structurally inferior model and it wasn't a rare mistake that would sometimes increase the value of certain collectibles. 

There is little way that any of the new lego city sets featuring space shuttles or rockets will impact the growth of this set, it is on a completely different scale and the theme and market is completely different, much like the aforementioned fire brigade being affected by fire stations.

One thing that could IMPROVE the value of the shuttle adventure/expedition is if Lego launches a new advanced model of the NASA SLS that will be complete in a few years. However, I don't see even this having a significant impact on these, it will just give it some more room to grow. 

I still have not opened one of these for myself yet and would love to but seeing how much it has grown, I can't bring myself to "buy it from myself" for the opportunity cost of selling it to a sucker-I mean afol, cough.

To me it depends on whether you think the new shuttle set due this summer will hurt or help. The summer set is clearly targeted towards kids where this (to me) is targeted towards AFOLs.

People wanting the AFOL version will probably pay more. People who spend lots of money in their kids will probably buy the newer one.

And you know don't forget to think about CAGR blah blah blah.

If you're happy with the return sell. If you think it has more potential hold. If you're a hoarder then put them on a shelf and forget about them forever.

from my understanding, set 60080 is coming this summer for $120.  I would think it is targeted for the AFOLs.  IMO, it would hurt the value of 10231 even though 60080 is not as impressive.  Unless you're a collector, why pay so much more for 10231 when you can just buy 60080?

from my understanding, set 60080 is coming this summer for $120.  I would think it is targeted for the AFOLs.  IMO, it would hurt the value of 10231 even though 60080 is not as impressive.  Unless you're a collector, why pay so much more for 10231 when you can just buy 60080?

That would clarify why there are so many on ebay lately. Two months ago there were only two. Now almost ten.