10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

I like the Town Hall alot personally. About retiring the modulars before the end of the year. Here in Europe the Fire Brigade was gone at the start of December 2013. So it did not survive until xmas.

That's not true for all of Europe - the UK had stock until beginning of January in John Lewis.

As for the Town Hall, nearly 200 of these still in stock at John Lewis.  It's not going anywhere for a while.

Guest TabbyBoy

Time to buy 99 of them.

I would if I could.  I have the money but, not the space.  Climate controlled storage is VERY expensive in the UK.  If I hadn't bought all that crap from the CITY theme, I'd be ordering 99 Petshops and 99 Town Halls at just after midnight on 01APR.

just built this one last week and it looks pretty cool.  I think its also the largest modular yet ?  The only thing is it needs a flagpole or lightning rod on the top.

The TH is the largest modular that Lego has made so far. I will be buying one eventually this year for myself, and I like the idea of adding a flagpole or lightning rod to the roof of the building. I might do that myself when I get the set.

Pretty crazy with yesterdays re-stock this and the GE stayed out of stock. Now ds, ssd, tb are out of stock again. Amazon got about 80 ds back in stock yesterday above what they already had. Interesting times for the exclusive investor.

Interesting times indeed...hmmm, where to park my money next week...I'm still going with GE and PS.  I'll take my chances with TB later in the year and TH after that.  I think if exclusive investors stay on top of 'news/updates' and online inventory levels there would still be time for panic buying if by chance Lego breaks the trend and retires TH first for some reason. 

I would if I could. I have the money but, not the space. Climate controlled storage is VERY expensive in the UK. If I hadn't bought all that crap from the CITY theme, I'd be ordering 99 Petshops and 99 Town Halls at just after midnight on 01APR.

And yet there are still muppets on this site that believe the competition in the secondary market isn't growing.

Have you considered moving the city Lego to a temporary location and sell it to clear, that way you could free up space?

I would if I could.  I have the money but, not the space.  Climate controlled storage is VERY expensive in the UK.  If I hadn't bought all that crap from the CITY theme, I'd be ordering 99 Petshops and 99 Town Halls at just after midnight on 01APR.

Wow, an inventory of 99 PS would be HUGE.  Now that's major investing :)  I'm sure some folks are over $50k invested and a smaller group +$100k. 

Guest TabbyBoy

Wow, an inventory of 99 PS would be HUGE.  Now that's major investing :)  I'm sure some folks are over $50k invested and a smaller group +$100k. 

The FB is a good indicator of how you can double your money within a year of EOL on these.  I'm lucky to have the remains of a large redundacy package burning a hole in my pocket. ;-)  If I could rewind... I'd get shot of the

Very smart.  My funds are obviously a lot smaller than yours ($10k) but if I had to do it over again it would be mouldars and exclusives only too.  Sometimes the small/med sets can spike but I think the big mouldars/exclusives sets are blue chippers.  I think the Superheroes stuff in (CAN/US market) are solid too.

After one year under my belt...any funds I've made back have gone into bigger sets like FB/GE/PS.  Personally, nice to see less and less of smaller sets in my inventory.   

And it is also easier to keep inventory with larger sets. It's a big pain to keep track of all the smaller sets in my inventory.

And it is also easier to keep inventory with larger sets. It's a big pain to keep track of all the smaller sets in my inventory.

Very true.  Easy to organize too...instead of so many sets in different sizes and shapes.  I like the less cluttered look and to see quality over quantity as I get more experience in this hobby/investment.   

Large sets require patience which is in short supply on this website.  That is mostly the case with all investors though whether LEGO stocks etc.  Amazon supply on the town hall is dwindlnig down and they sold 20 ds star between yesterday and this morning.  I need a few months and it seems at these paces I'll be fine.  I do believe I am going to pass on the town halls though.  Those dollars will be in DS, SSD, R2D2, Orthancs and GE

Just curious: how did you figure this? Are you assuming a certain future value?? What purchase price is this based on? Thanks!

Look at the current value of the set right now. It is around $250. The set retails for $150, and the set has only been retired for about four months. The set will most likely double in value from the retail price by the end of the year. It is bound to increase to about $300 by the end of the year.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Just curious: how did you figure this? Are you assuming a certain future value?? What purchase price is this based on? Thanks!

I bought my FBs at

Well it wouldn't be 'hard to find' if they made it easy for you!

That's why they call it hard to find. 

The german category for those items is "seltene Sets" which means "rare sets".

So first they made restrictions in discounts on exclusives and now they hide those sets to prevent US people to buy it. :)

Guest TabbyBoy

And yet there are still muppets on this site that believe the competition in the secondary market isn't growing.

Have you considered moving the city Lego to a temporary location and sell it to clear, that way you could free up space?

I'm going to do my sums over the weekend and try to list some of the "Regretted Buying" sets (about 150 in all) at a BIN price just to cover purchase cost, packing and fees - I'll have to take a hit on the time it takes.  I'll also add them to my "tax not payable" spreadsheet for my accountant as no profit to declare on these.  It'll upset fellow sellers as I'll be undercutting them all but, need to get rid asap.  I can't see these sets making any return whatsoever and it's not worth the hassle to move and move back again.

It's nothing to do with the "downturn" that people are talking about, it's my mistake in buying the wrong sets (StarWars prequels & CITY) in the early days.

Competition on here can only increase which is why I no longer display my Brickfolio.

I'll then have space to start storing TH and other modulars.