75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm sure if I like the new Sandcrawler or not, it looks a bit half-arsed to me with all the studs showing, I much preferred the old one but, was too late to buy it.  Regarding the DS and SSD... I think the SSD will be the one to go as it doesn't appear to sell as fast as the DS and I'm hoping for big reductions soon.  I have 2x SSD but no, DS as I think this is too iconic to disappear yet with the new movie looming.  However, once I see hints of EOL, I'm making room in my loft!

I'm sure if I like the new Sandcrawler or not, it looks a bit half-arsed to me with all the studs showing, I much preferred the old one but, was too late to buy it.  Regarding the DS and SSD... I think the SSD will be the one to go as it doesn't appear to sell as fast as the DS and I'm hoping for big reductions soon.  I have 2x SSD but no, DS as I think this is too iconic to disappear yet with the new movie looming.  However, once I see hints of EOL, I'm making room in my loft!

The old ones are starting to pop out on ebay for cheap so look out for them  :thumbsup:

I'm sure if I like the new Sandcrawler or not, it looks a bit half-arsed to me with all the studs showing, I much preferred the old one but, was too late to buy it.  Regarding the DS and SSD... I think the SSD will be the one to go as it doesn't appear to sell as fast as the DS and I'm hoping for big reductions soon. I have 2x SSD but no, DS as I think this is too iconic to disappear yet with the new movie looming. However, once I see hints of EOL, I'm making room in my loft!

This is probably isn't worth a whole lot, but seriously in my gut, I do think the DS will be on the way out within the year. Again, it's been said for many years, but Lego has been releasing many big Star Wars sets in the last year or two. Not always true, but something does have to give.

Look at the set over $200... X-Wing, DS, SSD, SC (when it's released,) Ewok Village, (although not over $200, but still close enough) R2-D2. It's starting to get awfully crowded in the high range market. I do truly believe something will give and Lego will retire at least one of these sets, if not 2.

IMO, even with the DS being out for 6 years, it will still be a solid investment. It will appreciate just as well as any other star wars sets, excluding the MF. I bought the DS because it will retire, and I don't want to be caught with my pants down and have to pay ridiculous secondary mark-ups because I was waiting for the 'right' time.

The old ones are starting to pop out on ebay for cheap so look out for them  :thumbsup:

yep.  By Aug 2014, prices for 10144 should be about $120 used. They were going for $200-$250 2 months ago depending on condition, manuals, and box. 

The little reddish brown Jawa cape will be among the most valuable elements from 10144 sets as it's are exclusive to this set.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=bb195&in=S

Guest TabbyBoy

If the DS is such a cash cow and Lego have the capability to store massive amounts, why would they retire it?  I wouldn't.  I'm taking a punt and holding off to the last minute.  As soon as I hear EOL from a reliable source, I'll call my "buddy" at Smyths Toys near me and get as many reserved as possible.  If I see say, 3-for-2 offers, I will take the bait.

I am not sure why the old sandcrawler would plummet so much, we didn't see the old x wing go down when the new one came out. 

The old UCS X-WIng isn't seller like before it's refresh.  Check the bricklink and ebay past sales.  Used prices are falling.  They just are not "tanking" so far like previous high profile refreshes (e.g. Sail Barge, Jabba's Palace, Batcave, Arkham Asylum).  

3 plus months ago on eBay, it took $225 to $275 to buy a decent used 10144 and now the price appears to be around $175-$250.  It's failing and the new one isn't even available yet...

Completely depends on what you want to build :thumbsup: If you like it, go for it. Personally this set is not my cup of tea (in terms of building). I would sooner buy R2D2 and/or Sopwith camel. Also they are likely to retire, so I would buy them first even if I was a fan of the Sand crawler.

To invest, obviously buying shortly after they are available if just pointless. You`de be sinking money into something that will not appreciate for some time. Unless you can somehow make a quick flip, or score a good deal, nobody should even think about buying this set until at least some time has passed. 

That is, unless of course we start hearing that it will only have a 6month availability or something shocking as that :laugh:

Depends on if your looking for invest or personal build.

-I don't always go shopping, but when I do I buy Lego-

Couldn't say it better.  It's not that I don't like it but there are far more better exclusives out there.  This is the LAST on my list.  If B&****** has it then I'd consider it cause anybody can get that for at least 40% off.  A discounted Sand Crawler appeals to me more than any full price exclusive.

Buy it. I will own one the moment it comes out.

About to pass a certification test for work - I get a $500 bonus that after taxes... comes to about $300. Cha-ching!

Can't wait for this set.

I finally built my SSD and I just stare at it sometimes. I think Im in love.

How would your SSD feel if she heard you going to chase other sets :(

-I don't always go shopping, but when I do I buy Lego-

Finding space is easy, convincing my wife that it should be occupied by a Lego set, hard.

That's kind of what I meant... Finding more space could mean you only get to keep 50% of your Lego. :) That would be hard.

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker