75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

Definitely possible, based off how Lego has become fascinated with angles and plates lately. Durability would be a concern. More of a showpiece versus the last one which was rock solid. It doesn't look any bigger than the last either, just more detailed to get its piece count up. I'll stay indifferent for now whether I like I more.

The only thing I like about 10144 over this version is that with it being brick built, and not plate built, it didn't have all the studs showing.  This version is better in about every way otherwise.  The shape is better, the details are better, the droids are bound to be better, etc.  I still think that there will be something else to this set.  I don't buy that this vehicle alone is 2500 pieces, I don't care how intricate you make the interior.  It takes less plates than bricks to make something.  Something has to give and I'm calling my shot that we get the Lars sand igloo. 

I think this picture is 100% legitimate.  It pretty clearly comes from the upcoming Star Wars DK Picture Dictionary that is coming out this year. 

I think we can't comment too much on it for two reasons:

1. Size

2. Minifigures

There are obviously going to be a lot of minifigures in the set one would assume - although we could be wrong.

But at $250 or $300 or whatever, its going to be freakin HUGE - so I think the massive size is really what is going to make the big difference.

I wonder how this one (ample side plates) will hold up during play compared to the older one. My son pretty much throws around 10144 without issues. That is due to using many 1x3. 1x2, and 1x3 corner elements,

75059 looks cool though. I like the side elevator / hatch, magnetic cranes, the front door displays the stud side when closed (issue I have with 10144), much larger cockpit, etc... The little junk hauler vehicle is fine. Multiple cranes are good. I hope we have an area for inner access like in 10144 but larger. Attached are some pics I used when selling my spare 10144.

This could be a winner and I'm a huge 10144 fan. I can't wait to build it and take side by side pics like I posited last summer with both both Sail Barge sets.

By the way, I hope they DO NOT add capes to the Jawa figs, by not doing so, it will help 10144 Jawa figs maintain their value.

Capes are not that expensive on bricklink lol

Ed, I hear ya.

At least this refresh isn't as bad as the Sail Barge. However, this doesn't look like a $300 set either. Wish we had a picture of the full page(s) spread to see and read more.

There has to be more to it for $300.  Someone find this book and post more pictures!

• Like 1

As stated earlier, this could be an entire scene, with buildings and vehicles. Alone, the Sandcrawler doesn't look like a $300+ set, but maybe if the set included other related items, the set could be a real winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

If it has Owen Lars' sand igloo home and a Tusken Raider camp with Bantha, we'd be onto something.  It's not going to happen, but a guy can dream.  There simply has to be more to the set, though, to come up with the rumored piece count and price tag.  That vehicle simply does not have it.  It's awesome, but not $300 retail awesome.

I remember seeing that as a Cuusoo project. It got 10,000 supporters, but got rejected in the review stage, most likely due to another Sandcrawler coming out soon.

Well, that, and it would cost $1500 to buy one!

Here's an article about it, Marshal Banana was the builder. 

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2011/06/01/10000-piece-lego-star-wars-sandcrawler-measures-over-3-feet-long/

• Like 1

I don't know how anyone could design this more true to the source and stay within budget as Lego did here. I take it the naysayers think they could do better?

I think it looks more screen accurate that 10144...at least from this angle. I can't wait into we see the too and rear as that's where ample greebling is needed.

I think it looks more screen accurate that 10144...at least from this angle. I can't wait into we see the too and rear as that's where ample greebling is needed.

10144 was too short and stumpy.  This "appears" to be slimmer and longer, which is what it should be.  They are both awesome sets, I just think this is an improvement, even though I'm not a fan of all the studs on the sides.

10144 was too short and stumpy.  This "appears" to be slimmer and longer, which is what it should be.  They are both awesome sets, I just think this is an improvement, even though I'm not a fan of all the studs on the sides.

I'll probably just sand down those outer studs.

• Like 1